Sometimes, we just need to remind ourselves why. Why we need to exercise, why we need to work on our diet. Why we need to incorporate more healthy, raw foods into our diet. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. When you start incorporating more raw foods into your diet, you are automatically starting to eliminate the foods that are unhealthy. Chemicals, harmful fats, refined starches, refined sugar are just a few.
2. You can actually prevent and reverse disease by incorporating more raw foods into your diet.
3. Generally you will improve your health and well being. More energy, and a sense of well-being accompany healthy foods!
4. Weight loss is a naturally occurring benefit when you eliminate the super processed foods and replace them with more raw food.
5. It is better for the environment. Animal products contribute a very large percentage to our greenhouse gas emissions, not to mention the land and water usage and pollution.
6. Vitamins, minerals and photo-nutrients are more available from food in it’s raw state.
7. Cooking foods…especially at high temperatures forms substances that are harmful to your health (acrylamide, advanced glycoxidation, heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).
8. Enzymes! Some types of enzymes that are available in plants are responsible for converting some phytochemicals in to extremely beneficial elements for your body. These enzymes are released when the plant is chopped, mashed, pureed or chewed. Cooking destroys these beneficial enzymes.
9. Cooking dramatically reduces food’s phytochemical content. Research also indicates that cooking reduces or destroys the ability of antioxidants in food to do their job.
10. Last but not least, for me, I just feel better. Much better. So much better.
I would love to hear your reasons for incorporating more raw foods in your diet!