Basil Zucchini Wraps

by Susan on July 19, 2010

I love wraps. They are a quick, easy way to throw together a tasty, healthy lunch or dinner. These wraps have a zucchini-basil base with a little coconut thrown in. Black sesame seeds add a little color and nutrients. For the filling, a quick dice of some veggies combined with spinach cream is perfect. These are quick, easy and bursting with flavor. The wraps will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks, properly wrapped.

Zucchini Basil Wraps

• 3 cups chopped zucchini
  • 1 young coconut, flesh from
  • 3/4 cup ground flax
  • 12 leaves fresh basil
  • pinch Himalayan Salt
  • pinch ground pepper
  • black sesame seeds
  1. Place all ingredients except black sesame seeds in blender.
  2. Blend until smooth.
  3. Spread in a thin layer on non-stick sheets. Don’t spread too thin or you will have holes.
  4. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
  5. Dehydrate at 115 for 3 hours. When tops are dry, peel off of sheet and dry until bottoms are dry to the touch but still pliable.
  6. Cut into 5″ squares. Makes 12.

Spinach Cream Dressing

• 1 cup macadamia nuts
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup young Thai coconut flesh
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 cups spinach, raw
  • 1/2 lemon, juice
  • pinch Himalayan Salt
  • pinch pepper

1. Place all ingredients in high-speed blender and blend until smooth.

Assembly:

• 2 carrots, cubed
  • 2 cucumbers, cubed
  • 2 avocados, cubed
  • 2 tomatoes, cubed
  • 1 cup jicama, cubed
  1. Mix all vegetables together.
  2. Add spinach cream to the mixture by spoonful. (to taste). Combine.
  3. Place a layer of lettuce on the wrap. Spoon filling on lettuce and wrap up.

Makes enough filling for 4 to 6 wraps.

Brenda July 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh, these look simply delish! Not sure I’d want to eat them after they’ve been in the refrigerator for a few weeks though. Maybe a few days tops.

Susan July 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Brenda…just the wraps, not the complete assembled meal.

Tina~ July 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

do you think ground sprouted, dried sunflower seeds would work instead of the flax?
We have allergies…but these sound awesome!

Audrey G. July 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm

These look so good!!! Can’t wait to try these!!!

Elizabeth July 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Where is the spinach in the spinach cream? I just blended all the ingredients. Went back and re-read the recipes above….looked the the picture…where is the spinach, lol? Are we supposed to add it to the cream sauce? That would make sense except the sauce in the photo looks white. Hmmm….

Susan July 19, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Yes, it is in the cream sauce.

Joanna Rawvelous July 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Wow, this looks great!

Lois July 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm

All the veggies are so fresh and sweet…refreshing and lite

Diana @ frontyardfoodie July 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Mmmmm yummy yummy. I’m down with ANYTHING avocado.

Joyce Pfaffle July 19, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Brenda — 1/3 cup of spinach goes in the sauce — it’s listed in the recipe.

Pure2Raw Twins July 19, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Wraps look awesome ;) Love the color!

Anastazia July 19, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Wow, this looks totally scrumptious, & totally DO-ABLE!!
Thanks so much for sharing, & especially the georgous pics!
Love your blog, somehow lost track of it, glad to find my way here again…
…”I’ll be back!” (Said in my best Arnold voice…)

~Anastazia~

Audrey July 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

Recipe so yummy…what do you suggest if coconuts are hard to come by…what i can substitute?? Thanks!

Ricki July 20, 2010 at 9:43 am

That looks just AMAZING (rawmazing, in fact!) ;) I’ve been eating a lot of collard wraps lately. Something different would be great!

Elizabeth July 20, 2010 at 9:59 am

I love your blog!!! You are so awesome. Thanks for posting recipes, so many blogs just tease you with great pics and then make you buy the recipes. You do a lovely job. Keep up the fantastic work.
Peace and Raw Health,
Elizabeth

Angie July 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m with Audrey….what can I use instead of coconut? Can’t wait to try these with a substitute for the coconut!!!!

Susan July 20, 2010 at 10:04 am

I don’t have a substitute for coconut. You can try leaving it out and just adding more water….But the cream should be thick.

Audrey July 20, 2010 at 10:19 am

what about a little coconut oil? I just want to add that I always look forward to your postings, your pictures are so wonderful and recipes are just awesome! I look forward to your ebook when it comes out!

Eco Mama July 20, 2010 at 10:31 am

Really nice Susan, will definitely try these.
xo
Eco Mama

Karina July 20, 2010 at 11:10 am

Absolutely beautiful! I especially like the idea of spinach cream. Sounds perfect for summer.

Ida July 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Why didn’t you make a video with this recipe and enter the Hot Raw Chef contest at Living Light Institute?!

Patti Searle July 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Instead of coconut meat, try soaked cashews. Soak 1/2 cup for 1/2 hour, or so. then add to blender.

Dia July 21, 2010 at 4:26 am

These look delightful! & what a lovely idea for the wrap – since going gluten free last summer, it’s fun to see new ideas for things to wrap in or spread on – & I LOVE coconut :) I make my own coconut milk kefir (don’t have much access to fresh, so use tinned milk) & it’s nice & thick – plus full of probiotics!

Kathy Patalsky July 21, 2010 at 11:41 am
susie b July 21, 2010 at 1:55 pm

hello!

i cant get young coconuts where i live so is there something i can use instead?

cheers

susie

Susan July 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm

If you would like a wrap recipe that doesn’t have coconut in it, you can find one here: Zucchini Wrap

susie b July 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

oh sorry just ignore me i have just seen that there are lots of comments regarding this!!!!! duhhhh

x

Neven July 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm

These look so amazing.

Denise July 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Susan, will you marry me?!?! Of course, I’m already a happily married woman, but I am LOVING your recipes! You are a genius! I made this tonight for dinner and it was delish, and I’ve made other recipes of yours as well. Thank you for making the raw lifestyle not only easy, but gourmet and decadent. It’s not an exaggeration to say you are saving lives…your website motivates and inspire me to eat healthy meals. Never question that what you do has meaning, and never stop posting recipes!!!

Susan July 22, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Denise, I think you just made my day!

Jane Ann July 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Can you offer a suggestion for the coconut ?

Jenni July 28, 2010 at 4:51 am

Susan – just love your photo’s, your comments, your recipes – professional but not boring, informative but still exciting, and you answer everyone’s questions. What a great site – I’m on a huge raw learning curve and am so passionate about it I want to do what you’re doing – I’m doing UK Karen Knowler’s teacher training course to get myself and my business up and going and really I think you are a great model to follow. It’s so great the collaborative nature of you and a some of the other raw foodies – and we still have to make a living – can’t wait for your recipe book – I’ll certainly be buying it for my inspiration.

Susan July 28, 2010 at 4:55 am

Thanks…Jenni! It is my goal to try to help people be healthier…I will support anyone with the same goal! So glad to hear you are on the path!

Jane / Jacaranda Designs August 4, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’m definitely trying this recipe this week. Love that they’re gluten free!

kathy August 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

Looks sooo good. I hope you will submit this to Finding Vegan! ~Kathy

Alisa August 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm

This looks really delicious! your recipes are very inspiring and I’d love to make this soon!

lisbet August 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Just did all the prep (but not the assembly) for this to have for this week’s lunches. Mmmm! That spinach cream sauce is GOOD. I do wonder if I can find young coconut meat somehow other than going through the labor of dealing with an actual coconut (canned, etc.) as I must admit I’m chronically short on time.

Jenn/CinnamonQuill August 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Goodness, what a beautiful meal! The wraps are convincing me that I might *need* a dehydrator. Hmm.

Hey, would it be okay to use this photo/link on my new site, GlutenFreeFeed.com? Thanks :)

Pierre May 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Susan, is it possible to make wraps with the standard brown coconut, say, when shredded with water and blended. Or combined with cauliflower? BTW there is a recipe very similar in taste to coconut wrap with avo and cauliflower:

1 head of cauliflower
3 avocadoes
1/2 lemon, juice of
1 clove garlic
sea salt

I have tasted this. Please let me know if it is doable with brown coconuts. Thanks….Pierre

Susan May 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I honestly don’t know about the brown coconut. I have never used one.

Jeani June 11, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi, Susan ~
I came to look around for something to do with a LOT of basil, and found several of your great recipes that I am going to use, but I have a question on this one.
In the recipe for the sauce it says to use 2 cups of spinach, but I notice in the comments, Joyce Pfaffle on July 19, 2010 says the recipe for the sause says to use 1/3 cup of spinach.
I would just like to clarify before I start on the sauce, please.
Thanks so much for everything on your great site.
Jeani

Susan June 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

The recipe calls for 2 cups. I honestly haven’t made if for a while. You can start with 1/2 cup and add as you go. It seems to me if I called for s cups, I used 2.

Jeani June 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I was thinking it looked pale and creamy, but thought two cups would make it green.
But I will play with it, and I’m certain it will be scrumptious in the end!
Thanks so much.

Liz July 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Are you concerned with putting food in direct contact on plastic trys of the dehydrator? Isn’t it true that harmful chemicals from plastic (even the “safest” plastic) get into the food when the plastic is heated? Studies said to not drink water that has been left in a plastic bottel that has been left in your car because the heat melts chemicals from the plastic bottle which then leach into the water. A car on a hot day gets to about 110 degrees and maybe even to 120 degrees highest, right?

So… if our dehydrators get our food to 116 degrees doesnt that mean the plastic could potentially leach some of its chemicals into our food, even if it’s in small amounts?

Please help. Are there dehydrators that have baking trays (for making your crepes, “crackers”, breads, wraps, other more “meshy” foods that I can use instead of the plastic baking trays and plastic or silicone tray liners?) Please help… I want to use a dehydrator but I cant use one if there’s any small chance of the plastic getting hot enough to leach even teeny tiny amounts of plastic chemicals into my food. Thanks so much for your help.

Susan July 10, 2011 at 11:10 am

if you are concerned about that, the TSM makes a food grade stainless steel sheet for their dehydrators. I know that they use what is considered to be food grade materials for their dehydrators but I am sure there would be room for testing. You could also use a layer of parchment between the dehydrator sheet and the food. The TSM dehydrator, which is my dehydrator of choice, is completely made from stainless steel.

Lexi Porter August 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love young thai coconut, and you have some GREAT looking recipes on your site! I’m planning to make this one this evening for supper!

I just wrote a blog-post on my own site providing information about young thai coconuts, and have linked to this article as an example of a great way to use coconut!

Karen November 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm

It says to “dehydrate” Does that mean let it sit out? Or does it require a dehydrator?

Susan November 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

Hi, Karen, Yes, you would need to use a dehydrator for this recipe. It wouldn’t dry properly if you just let it sit out. Thanks!

bruce February 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

today is my first day at planning and starting of going raw ( yes I am doing it slowly) . This is going to be my first raw meal, and I think i will start tomorrow with a trip to the Vitamin cottage fot the ingredients. looks YUMMY ! ! ! here we go

Laura February 24, 2012 at 12:42 am

This wrap looks amazing… full of color, variety and freshness!! =) Can’t wait to try it!

Carol February 28, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Susan ~ your site is wonder-full…such creative recipes ! We live in Canada where raw macadamia nuts and young coconuts are hard to find. Are there good sources that I might access or good substitutions in recipes I might use. Thank you for your time and any suggestions. Blessings and gratitude ♥ Carol

Sandra May 3, 2012 at 7:11 am

Hello Susan – this looks amazing! I live in Ireland, it’s impossible to get young coconuts – the ones we get (if any) are often stored a long long time and not very nice anymore. Is there any good substitute? Like canned coconut milk? I know that wouldn’t be raw but I’d be quite willing to cheat a little… ;-)

Kyra June 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

Do you think you could use the wraps as a replacement for nori when making sushi?

Susan June 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

You could certainly try…

alejandra October 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

can anyone please tell me if i make this zucchini wrap can it be saved for the next day?also if you dont have a Dehydrator is there another way to do it?

Becky March 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi Susan
Just bought a dehydrator about two weeks ago and so far am loving all the recipes I’ve tried from your site. Instead of buying the young thai coconuts whole I use the pre-packaged coconut from an amazing company called Organic Lives, so no worries about preservatives as they come from a bio-dynamic, organic, fair trade source. I’m wondering if you have a measurement for the amount of coconut you usually get out of one? Cheers, and thanks for all the inspiring recipes.

Christina April 5, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hello Susan,

Are you able to freeze the spinach cream dressing and use it later?

Thank-you

Sandra May 9, 2013 at 4:00 am

this sounds delicious, as usually. I live in Ireland, it’s impossible to get young coconuts here but they are used in so many recipes – is there anything I can use to substitute? Thanks!

Karyl August 7, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hi Susan! I’m just converting to raw and this looks delish. I’m just wondering how are the outside wraps made? I see they’re green but are they store bought and if so, where do I buy them? Are they spinach wraps?

Susan August 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Hi, Karyl, The recipe is included at the end of the post. Cheers!