Beet Chips Raw Recipe

by Susan on May 26, 2011

Ask anyone who knows me what my biggest downfall is when it comes to food, and they will tell you potato chips. When stress mounts, I can just hear the chips little voices. “Susan, we will make you feel better. Susan, we are crunchy and salty. Susan, we taste so good.” What they forget to say is, “Susan, we will bloat you like there is no tomorrow. We will load your bloodstream with fat. The oil we have been fried in will clog your arteries and you will feel like crap shortly after you eat us.” I know all of this but for some reason, when I am in that moment, the only thing I seem to hear is the chips siren song.

I have tried to find some alternatives that I really like. Potatoes just don’t get a good texture in the dehydrator. Plus, I am looking for color (phytonutrients) in my food. I had picked up some beets at the market, thinking that I would pickle them. But when I pulled them out, I changed my mind. Grabbing the mandoline, I started slicing. A little cider vinegar was added along with a final touch of Himalayan salt and a sprinkle of pepper. Into the dehydrator and 24 hours later I had a delicious snack that is giving those potato chips a run.

Beet Chips

• 5 beets, I used golden and red
  • 1/4 cup raw cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Himalayan salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix together cider vinegar, oil and water. Set aside.

2. Slice the beets very thin. I used a mandoline for this.

3. Soak the sliced beets in the water mixture for about 10 minutes. You may have to toss to coat.

4. Spread on screens, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dehydrate at 145 for 45 minutes, reduce heat to 115 and continue dehydrating for about 24 hours or until chips are crunchy.

*Note: Don’t worry about beginning dehydration temp. The food never goes above 115 and it’s raw integrity is not compromised. You can read more here: Dehydration

Barbara (Rawfully Tempting) May 26, 2011 at 7:40 am

These look gorgeous, and ever so tempting. I’ve never tried dehydrating beets…lovely. Thank you for sharing.

kelli May 26, 2011 at 8:54 am

yum! thanks for sharing this recipe!

Laura May 26, 2011 at 9:27 am

Oh, I love beet chips. Parsnips work well in the fall too.

Heidi @ Food Doodles May 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

Those look awesome! Loooooove beet chips :D

Niv May 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

Beautiful! Try sweet potatos and kohlrabi in kind of the same way.(no vinager though)maybe a lil nutritional yeast.I guess the vinager helps maintaining the vibrant color.

Susan May 26, 2011 at 10:24 am

The vinegar is there for flavor. :-)

Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker.com May 26, 2011 at 10:13 am

Susan, these chips look amazing! I recently bought my own dehydrator, so I’m constantly on the lookout for recipes I want to try out with it. This one definitely makes the list. Do the chips turn out with a “salt and vinegar” type of flavor? Also, did you slice them as thinly as possible with the mandoline? My mandoline has two settings: thin and very thin, so that’s why I ask. Thanks so much!

Susan May 26, 2011 at 10:24 am

I would get them as thin as possible.

Mindy May 26, 2011 at 11:24 am

Yep, that’s my downfall too. Potato chips and regular fritos. I was just in a store, and they had moved the little chip display (mini bags of chips) that used to be far on the other side of the store into the produce section, and of course it feels like a test. I haven’t had any in weeks, and have recently become more determined than ever not to eat them at all. Fortunately, I was succesful today. These chips look great. I will definitely be trying them.

Molli May 26, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I was so happy to see these and the other tips about trying the yams and rutabaga. I may even try some jicama. Just to let you know, I give chips up for Lent every year. Last year I lost 12 pounds. That’s pretty bad!

Molli May 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for this recipe. Every year I give up chips for Lent. Last year I lost 12 pounds. Hopefully this will fit the bill and I’ll have to give them up for Lent. I like the other comments that suggest yams and rutabagas. I think I’ll try a jicama too. Let you know how that turns out.

Eco Mama May 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Vinegar eh? Interesting… These look just like those uber-fatty (and yummy) Terra Chips. Definitely want to try these.
xo
Eco Mama

Rosanne May 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I need a dehydrator. what do you suggest for a newbie to this way of eating ?

Carol May 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm

These remind me of the Terra Chips as well. They look soooo delicious! Thank you for the recipe! :)

Roxanne May 26, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Thank you!

Maggie May 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Chips are my downfall too! I love the texture, the crunch and the salt too! I hear them calling my name, that siren song, when I’m stressed/worried as well lol :D These are a great idea, i’ve done the kale chip a few times and attempted the potato (your right, odd texture)..so i’m totally up for trying beets! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!
xoxo
Maggie

Susan May 27, 2011 at 6:54 am

Rosanne, I would suggest spending some time on the site. There are tons of articles and recipes here. Also, my cookbook, Easy Raw Food is a great resource.

Judy May 28, 2011 at 6:24 am

Oh my, what a stunning photograph! Inspires me to pant my red and white pinwheel beets today, and definitely will give these a try! Thank you!

Judy May 28, 2011 at 6:25 am

mmm, that would be “plant” not pant :-)

Sylvia May 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Those look so appealing! I’ve actually never had beets in any form, I’m not sure why not. I did try making kale chips once or twice, but they wouldn’t count as raw, since I did it in the oven. Perhaps I should invest in a dehydrator, if I can fit it into the budget.

Joy! May 29, 2011 at 10:00 am

Susan! I love your simple recipes! Seriously, simple and tasty. I have never gone wrong with one of your recipes. Thank you! And your pictures are delicious :)

Laura May 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Susan, These look great! I am always looking for ways to get more color into our diet at home. I’m new to dehydrating and my dehydrator doesn’t have a temperature control. I’m going to try these anyways and just try to check them and see if they are done. Do you have any tips to look for to know they are done? Are they crispy as soon as they come out?

Margaret Gail May 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

ohhh…YUM!!!! and I loved your story about the siren call of the p.chips :)

Victoria June 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Oh wow! These sound & look RAWMAZING! =D

I went to Panera Bread recently for a salad and it came with Fuji Apple Chips on it! I was taken aback because I expected RAW apples on the salad, but I have to say, they were quite scrumptious. I will definitely be trying your beet chips. Love beets!

Thanks Susan. As always, you RAWK!!

Zemira June 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I just tried these, having cut them with a mandoline (I borrowed) at the “super thin” setting. Some slices were thinner than others, though. It’s been several days and nights now with them dehydrating and still many of them are a bit leathery! (I’m beginning to understand why my friend paid $30 for her mandoline.)

Which mandolines would you recommend for the best, most consistent slicing action?

Susan June 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

At this point I don’t have one to recommend because I am not in love with the one I use. I would suggest if you want a good one you should expect to invest some $$$.

ZD June 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

I am thinkign of buying a TSM D10 dehydrator & was wondering if your are still satisfied with yours? Also I was wondering how to you set a precise temperature when TSM has only a temperature range? Do you use a regular thermometer to monitor the temperature? Thanks in advance for answering, I really appreciate you taking time.

Susan June 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

I love the TSM. As of right now, it is my favorite dehydrator. As for temp check, I use an oven thermometer. I checked it once and it has been very accurate so now I just know where to set the knob. :-)

ZD July 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Thanks, Susan, I will do the same- measure the temp with an over thermometer & will mark on the temperature display.

Ron July 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Do you have to peel the beets. Could they possibly be sliced without peeling?

Susan July 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I peel them. You are free do so what ever you wish! :-)

Linden August 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Could you let us know when you do find a mandolin you can reccommend? I need to invest in a good one as my crisp/chip addiction probably rivals yours! Thanks for your inspiration! L x

Anita October 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I assume I do NOT have to peel the beets …. correct ?

Susan October 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm

That’s up to you.:-)

Frank January 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Must I remove the skin from the beets or can I slice with skin on?

Susan January 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm

You can slice with skin on if you wish. :-)

M April 10, 2012 at 4:15 am

Hi! How do you prevent the beets staining the screens and the bottom ones?
Thank you!

-:M:-

Susan April 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

I put the lighter beets on top and didn’t have any problems with staining of my screens. I use the orange screens from the TSM. Cheers!

Dawn Armstrong May 4, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Use to have a dehydrator but it got sold at a moving sale. Any recommendations for a good dehydrator?

Sondra June 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I have a ton of Rutabaga and was on the hunt for a good use for them. Sliced, in the dehydrator, & excited to see the turnout. :)

Judith July 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Thanks! I am going to attempt these today. Yum!

Shoshannah August 22, 2012 at 11:13 am

Hi! I have some beets that I need to use, but was wondering if I could use this recipe for sweet potatoes as well, as I read that potatoes don’t turn out right in the dehydrator. Are sweet potatoes included in that as well, or just regular potatoes? What would you recommend? And if I were to serve these with a dip as an appetizer, what would you suggest? Thanks!!!

Tammy August 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This recipe is delicious! Nice and crunchy, and a great snack alone, or also excellent in a salad. I put a bit of herb de provence on mine before putting in the dehydrator. I did not have any trouble with my white trays turning color after removing the beets. I just soaked the trays overnight.
My second graders loved this healthy snack, too!

Teresa September 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Does anyone know if these get crispy in the dehydrator? I have tried sweet potato and zucchini chips in the dehydrator, but could not eat them because of the rubbery texture even though they were sliced very thin on my mandoline. Thank you!

Susan September 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm

They get crunchy in the dehydrator. Not like fried chips, but definitely not soggy. Cheers!

Kristen @ Enjoy This Organic Life October 27, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Yum, these sound like a fantastic way to enjoy the copious amount of beets flowing from my farm :) cannot wait to make a batch tomorrow!

Sylvain December 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thanks for this great, yet simple recipe.

I found your site after searching what to do with two drawers full of beets going mouldy. I blanched them to kill the mould and for easier cleaning. Then I followed your recipe with about a half-dozen beets. The mandolin was a perfect tool as it thinly slices the beets quickly. I just stopped slicing when I felt too close to the blade for comfort (the remainder was cut in chunks for soup).

Your simple vinaigrette enhanced the flavour of the beets. This being said, I found adding the salt after soaking the beets gave uneven results (some were too salty, some were not). Next time, I will try dissolving the salt in vinaigrette first (and go easy on the salt as the beets’ sweetness is what makes this recipe special).

My family loved the chips. The easiest way of making my teenagers eating beets!
We will try to do the same with other vegetables. This was such a success!

Thank you again for posting this recipe and simple preparation method. You made one more family very pleased.

jo January 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm

can this recipe work as well in the oven? if so, what temp. and for how long?

Susan January 22, 2013 at 10:13 pm

SInce this is a raw food site, these recipes have been specifically formulated to be made in a dehydrator to preserve their raw status. I do not have instructions for using an oven. Please feel free to experiment on your own. Cheers!

Bill January 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I have made beet chips in the oven (375F for 20-ish minutes). The problem besides loss of some nutrition is that getting them just crisp and not burnt is a very tricky bit. I moved to doing them 15 minutes in the oven and finishing in the dehydrator. Tonight I will be trying the dehydrator only method. I am hoping for a slightly sweet flavor and a definite crunch. Nutrition and health are great but only if I’ll eat them. Here’s to hoping!

Jillian February 12, 2013 at 12:47 am

Hi Susan, Beautiful recipe. Would you say these had a shelf life? Roughly how long?

Susan February 12, 2013 at 1:17 am

It depends on your dehydration. If you dehydrate very dry, they will last quite a while. Mine never last long, though…we eat them. Cheers!

Dawn February 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I do not have a dehydrater, is there any other way I could make these, until I buy one?

bulaklak March 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I’ve tried these a lot of different ways, and am not having much luck. I think part of the problem is the slicing. When I try to slice them on the thinnest setting on the mandoline, it’s a pain and they don’t make full slices, only half. But if I use the next setting up, they are just a bit too thick to get really crunchy. Any tips?

Taylor March 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Do you skin your beets?

Susan March 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I do but you don’t have to. Cheers!

DENNIS A DUNN August 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

HELLO…AFTER FOLLOWING YOUR RECIPE THE DRIED BEETS STILL HAD RESIDUAL OLIVE OIL ON THEM & I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT SEALING THEM UP IN AIRTIGHT JARS FOR FEAR OF MOLD FORMING…CAN I OMIT THE OLIVE OIL OR IS MOLD AN “OLD SCHOOL” FEAR??? THANK YOU VERY… BEETS ARE REALLY DELICIOUS…

DENNIS A DUNN August 22, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’M CONCERNED ABOUT THE RESIDUAL OLIVE OIL ON THE DRIED BEET CHIPS MOLDING IN AIRTIGHT CONTAINERS ??? BEETS ARE STUPENDOUS TASTING…THANK YOU…

Sara January 26, 2014 at 1:51 am

Hi I’m just about to put these delicious beets in my dehydrator now, but I was wondering, why the apple cider vinegar?

Is it a taste thing or does it help preserve the nutrients?

Giles February 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I tried something similar 2 weeks ago. We picked ours from the garden peeled them sliced thin on the Mandolin then gave them a 30 second blanch. I prepared approx a litre of white vinegar by adding salt to it until I attained the required flavour profile the soaked the beetroot for a few hours. the [popped them in the Dehydrator and in the morning we had Salt and Vinegar beetroot chips

Angela May 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I have a dehydrator but it doesn’t have temperature settings could you recommend a time to dehydrate the beets?

Susan May 6, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I would just check until they are done. Without knowing what the temp is, it is impossible to know when they will be done. Cheers!