Burgers the Raw Food Way!

by Susan on May 2, 2010

I have been wanting to make a raw food burger for quite a while now. Finding a great deal on portobello mushrooms was just the dose of inspiration that I needed to put this recipe together. Filled with veggies, seeds and nuts, and hearty savory seasoning, these mushroom burgers completely hit the spot. A little soaking, a little dehydrating and you have a tasty burger that even the fussiest eater will love. If you use the food processor, these go together very quickly!

Mushroom Walnut Veggie Burgers

• 2 C Carrots, grated
  • 2 C Portobello Mushrooms, chopped fine
  • 1 C Onion, chopped fine
  • 3/4 C Celery, diced
  • 1 C Walnuts, soaked and ground fine while wet
  • 1/2 C Pumpkin Seeds, soaked and ground fine while wet
  • 1/4 C Water, filtered
  • 1/4 C Nama Shoyu
  • 1 t. Sage
  • 1 t. Marjoram
  • 1 t. Thyme
  • 1 C Oat Flour, raw OR 3/4 C Flax, ground

1. Combine carrots, mushrooms, celery, and onion.

2. Stir in walnuts and pumpkin seeds, combine well.

3. Combine water and nama shoyu, mix into veggie/nut mixture

4. Add herbs, stir well.

5. Stir raw oat flour OR ground flax seeds in in batches (half at a time)

6. Shape into patties no 4-5 inches across, no more than 1 inch thick. Place on screens and dehydrate at 140 for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 115 and dehydrate until mostly dry. 3-4 hours. You want these to be moist, not rock hard. Makes 8 – 9 Burgers.

Chef’s Notes: Wondering why we start the dehydration at 140? Yes it is still raw.  Click here: Dehydration

hihorosie May 3, 2010 at 12:38 am

Looks great! And those tomatoes are perfect! Looks tasty!

Nikki @ yummy raw kitchen May 3, 2010 at 7:14 am

I just had a nut/mushroom burger a few nights ago at a raw food restaurant and have been craving them ever since. Yours looks delicious!

K&M May 3, 2010 at 9:49 am

Drool. Wow! They actually look like a cooked burger. I will have to try these burgers! Carmella posted a recipe for hotdogs (a long time ago) that were just excellent even non-raw people enjoyed them! I didn’t think I’d find a raw burger recipe that’s delicious and this post give me hope! (I don’t like mushrooms… but I’m gonna try them anyway.)

Karen May 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

Agree, these do look yummy. Plan to try these out with slices of dehydrated eggplant as a bun for a real burgerlike experience complete with fresh veggie condiments and my homemade raw fermented pickle slices. My question is about substituting for the Nama Shoyu, for a variety of reasons I am not fond of using it. Could I use Liquid Aminos instead, and if so in what amount? Thanks.

Susan May 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

Karen…yes, you can use it. You will have to experiment. Taste and realize that the flavors will concentrate as you dehydrate.

helene May 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

I have had a craving for hamburgers … they look divine !!! your photographs are marvelous as well, can’t wait to get a dehydrator to try this! thanks…

Lisa May 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

WOW, I have been looking for along time for a great raw burger recipe and I think this could be it! Can’t wait to try it!

Melissa May 3, 2010 at 11:37 am

yum! Thank you for sharing this recipe. sounds delicious!

Niv May 4, 2010 at 12:58 am

That looks amazing!

Heather May 4, 2010 at 3:27 am

Hello,

these burgers look wonderful, and I can’t wait to try them! Can I ask, do they freeze? It’s just I am the only person in my family who is into raw food, and I always end up making more than I can eat and having to throw some away.

thanks
Heather x

Susan May 4, 2010 at 6:56 am

Heather, I have not tried to freeze them yet. But you certainly could try.

Carol S May 4, 2010 at 3:50 am

Those are brilliant. Gonna find me some portabellos tomorrow and give ‘em a try. Thanks!

Julie Lynn May 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Oh, that looks so hearty and delicious! We need to give this recipe a try. =)

Neven May 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm

They look so delicious! The perfect thing to make for myself when my husband and son eat their meat burgers.

Eco Mama May 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

Looks wonderful! Burger perfection.
xo
Eco Mama

Dot D. May 8, 2010 at 3:55 am

Thank you for this recipe. I’ve been wanting to know how to make a good quality burger from veggies! Looks delicious, can’t wait to try them!

Judith May 25, 2010 at 11:28 am

I could not wait to make these burgers!!! They turned out amazing. I was afraid to make mine too big, so I ended up with 18 thinner ones. Next time, I will make them fatter! So delicious!

Maya May 31, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I made these for camping over the weekend and they were SO delicious! Lot’s of chopping but it was worth it. I put some fermented sauerkraut on them. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Françoise June 20, 2010 at 11:53 am

I am eating one of these as I write. They are really delicious! In fact, all your recipes turn out just great. I am a loyal devoted reader. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and recipes with us.

Susan June 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much! I am glad you are enjoying the site!

Jac July 3, 2010 at 7:18 pm

These look great! can’t wait to try!!
Which is best, using dried herbs, or fresh??

Susan July 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Fresh herbs are wonderful but not always available.

Kayla July 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

These turned out amazing! They tasted like real burgers! Crispy on the outside and soft and meaty in the middle. mmmmm good :)

Susan July 11, 2010 at 9:59 am

Glad you like them…they are one of my favorites!

Tesha July 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

Someone above mentioned a “hotdog” recipe. Do you have that recipe? These burgers look delicious!!

Susan July 29, 2010 at 8:02 am

Tesha, a quick google search revealed this: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1051

VIcki August 9, 2010 at 7:06 am

I made these for a raw dinner party last night and they were a hit. Thank you so much. For those who worry about gluten I made a batch without the oats and they were eaten up just as fast.

Tamara August 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm

All I can say is WOW!! Thanks so much for pouring your heart into this site. My sis and I have tried several veggie burger recipes between the two of us and haven’t like any of them. This will be a new regular for me. Even my extremely picky non-Raw teenage son loved ‘em. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

Cheri August 21, 2010 at 8:07 am

I’m going to try these. Just bought the mushrooms. I have dried almond flour that I make. Could I substitute that or would it be too sweet? Just wondering. Thanks. They look yummy!!!!!!!

Cheri

Susan August 21, 2010 at 9:37 am

Cheri, you could but the oat flour is in there for absorbency and bonding. Not sure how the almond flour will work as it isn’t as absorbent but you should try it! I wouldn’t worry about it being too sweet.

Asia September 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Those look amazing, could one use something in place of the carrots, like jicama? or sweet potatoes?

Susan September 10, 2010 at 8:52 am

You can try…I have only made them this way.

Brittany September 14, 2010 at 10:01 am

These are wonderful! The smell was so good, I barely managed to wait for them to finish dehydrating. I found it made more than 8-9 burgers, guess mine were smaller. I’m going to use the extra to fill marinated mushrooms, baby peppers, etc.
Thanks for another great recipe.

Nicole November 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I made these burgers last night and just had one for lunch. OMG are they good!! I can’t wait for lunch tomorrow… Thank you for sharing your recipes!

Jana February 23, 2011 at 3:06 am

Hi Susan
Your website became one of my favorties about raw food. Your recipes are easy and delicious, well the ones I’ve tried so far. The brugers are my new favorite food, and I’ll do them on a regular basis from now on! I had to dehydrate mine for way longer, they were also a bit bigger then yours but, since I’m a newbie in dehydrating, I’m a bit concerned if I dehydrate something too long that more enzymes are fading… I’d appreciate your answer.
Your swiss raw food fan:)
Jana

Susan February 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

It isn’t length of time, it is temperature. As long as you keep your food temp under 115, you will be ok. Also, everyone’s dehydrators work at different speeds. And if you made them bigger, well, that alone will change the time. :-)

Maija Haavisto June 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Very tasty burgers! Could compete with any cooked veggie burger. Will definitely be making them again. I used sunflower seeds as I didn’t have pumpkin seeds, but will try with pumpkin seed the next time.

If my rough calculations are right, if you use flax and eat 1/4 of the batch (which may be a bit overestimated; I made nine, ate two and felt it was a bit heavy a meal), you get some 6 g (!) of omega-3 fatty acids, about 2/3 from the flax and 1/3 from the walnuts. Even if you eat just half of that you still get around 3 g. (Official recommendations are 1-2 grams a day, but most people get far less.)

A O September 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Made this for dinner last night…and again for lunch today. WOW! DELISH! I accidently forgot to add the onions, and didnt have Marjoram or Sage, so I subbed in other seasonings….and I used crimini instead of portobello…topped it with some fresh parsley….HEAVEN.

Julie Spiegel September 4, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Looking forward to making these – thinking of adding pre-soaked sundried tomatoes as well.
Wondering what temperature to reduce heat to after the 140 degrees?

Susan September 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

115 degrees

Julie Spiegel September 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks so much Susan, off to start soaking!

Bren September 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Love this recipe. The extras I’ve frozen…hope they fare well. ????

Mary February 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I made these and they were amazing!! I ate them on some raw flax crackers I’d made which added a nice crunch, and layered on the lettuce, tomato and avocado. I’ll definitely be making them again and will try them with sunflower seeds versus walnuts. My 16 year old son has a nut allergy, so once I discover a good recipe I see if there is a way I can also make them nut free for him. He is interested in trying them so how can I not try!! I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Pete February 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I am making some of these today. Can’t wait to see how they turn out. I am sorta green smoothied out, so switchin to veggi burgers, lol, not totally though. ;)

Tom February 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

QUESTION:

Why is it necessary to grind the Walnuts & Sunflower seeds while they are wet?

Susan February 8, 2012 at 11:13 am

The moisture is needed for the way this recipe is written. Cheers!

Angela April 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

Pretty good! My kids did not like them, but buried in a burger with toppings the adults did. I found they needed six hours in the excalibur dehydrator. I’m not raw so I also might try frying the rest of the mixture into falafels.

Zuzia August 6, 2012 at 8:30 am

Tried this a few weeks ago, its absolutely delicious!! Will be making them again this week :D

Maryam September 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I just had my first burger and Mmmm.. it was wonderful. One of the best recipes I’ve ever tried,if not THE BEST.

Susan September 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

So glad you liked them…they are one of my favorites, too!! Cheers!

Vic December 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I made these burgers 2 weeks ago, gonna make more today. They’re soooo good, I’m about 80%raw right now but with recipes like these, I’ll be 100% before long.

Erica July 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

These burgers are easy to make, taste wonderful and reheat in the dehydrator well. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I ate them with raw onion bread, lettuce and tomato – yum!

Regina March 20, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hi there!
Question – Since this recipe makes about 8 burgers, how shouldI store these? Fridge? Freezer? How Long? Just my son and I at home.

Elizabeth April 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I’m very new to learning how to prepare raw food recipes. I took a class that had a recipe for “hamburgers” and I liked them, but they require I start preparing them 4 days before I want to eat them; consequently I have yet to make them. Somehow I just found your website and I think it’s wonderful, especially since a lot of your recipes not only look good, but they don’t seem to require preparation days ahead of time. Your photos are great making the food look very inviting; they make me want to dive into the kitchen where I hate to be and prepare food.

Anyway, I want to try making your burgers and I was wondering how long should I soak the walnuts and the pumpkin seeds before grinding them? This is probably something all raw foodies know, but I’m too new to the raw food world and very ignorant in this regard–please educate me.

Elizabeth

Susan May 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Soak until soft. Cheers!

Malissa July 23, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Hi there!

I am very eager to make these! I am wondering about the screens…Do you have to use them or can I use a cookie sheet? Do I put the burgers on the screens and put them in the oven or do I need a dehydrator?

Thank you so much!

Malissa

Susan July 28, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Hi, Malissa, I do use screens and this recipe is formulated for a dehydrator…to keep it raw. You can try doing it in the oven but it won’t be raw anymore. I would suggest trying the lowest temp and keeping an eye on it. You might also have to flip them. Cheers!