I am alway amazed at the difference in people’s body types, and their ability to burn or store their calories. I store, my sweetie burns. Maybe it is because he runs (fast) over 16 miles a week and throws in 3 weight workouts on top of it. But even if he didn’t, I can guarantee that if we ate the same amount, I would put on weight and he would maintain.
Part of that is the difference between men and woman but part is just simply biological. I am what is referred to in the horse world as “an easy keeper” meaning I don’t need many calories to sustain my weight.
When we are both eating high raw, my guy will start to drop weight. I have to work to get enough calories on his plate. And being vegan, when eating out for business lunches, if he is at a restaurant that doesn’t have vegan options, he ends up with a salad that just isn’t enough.
Yesterday, I decided that it was time to make him some super healthy energy bars because I can’t bare to have him eat any that have processed ingredients. I whipped up some almond butter, and got to work on making a delicious, protein-filled, calorie packed bar. Nuts, seeds, raw oats, and some lovely orange and cinnamon to top it off, these bars are full of nutritional powerhouse stars!
You can eat them as is or frost them with the lovely orange white chocolate glaze. I love them with the topping! There are quite a few ingredients but believe me, these go together very quickly! Pretty much dump and stir.
Each bar (unfrosted) has approximately 184 calories, with 6 grams of protein, 17 grams of carbs and 11 grams of fat. Low fat they are not, high energy, they are! Eliminating the coconut oil will reduce the fat by about 2 grams per serving.
Cinnamon Orange Energy Bars with Orange White Cacao Frosting
(Makes 28 2 x 4″ bars)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 6 dates, soaked and rinsed
- 1/4 cup date water (from soaking dates)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 orange, juice and zest from
- 3 tablespoons raw, organic agave nectar or other liquid sweetener (optional)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 cup raw oat flakes
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Combine the almond butter, dates and date water in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth.
2. Remove to large bowl and stir in coconut oil, orange juice, orange zest and liquid sweetener. Stir.
3. Add the remaining ingredients.
4. Roll out mixture between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/4″ thick. Remove to drying racks and place in oven (no heat!) overnight to dry. You can also leave them out on the counter but I have dogs.
5. Frost with White Cacao Orange Glaze if desired.
Orange White Cacao Glaze
- 1/2 cup raw cacao butter
(not coconut butter)
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic agave or liquid sweetener of choice
- zest from one orange (about 2 tablespoons)
1. Melt cacao butter in dehydrator or very carefully over water stove top.
2. Stir in agave and orange zest.
3. This part can be a little tricky. Cool the liquid mixture over ice water until it barely starts to set on the edge. Start whisking and it will thicken up before your very eyes.
4. Once it gets to a frosting consistency, spread quickly on bars. If it gets too hard, just gently warm again. It will harden beautifully once on the bars.