Cinnamon Orange Energy Bars with Orange White Cacao Frosting

by Susan on April 30, 2013

Energy Bars @Rawmazing.com

Raw Energy Bars @Rawmazing.com

Raw Energy Bars @Rawmazing.com

I am alway amazed at the difference in people’s body types, and their ability to burn or store their calories. I store, my sweetie burns. Maybe it is because he runs (fast) over 16 miles a week and throws in 3 weight workouts on top of it. But even if he didn’t, I can guarantee that if we ate the same amount, I would put on weight and he would maintain.

Part of that is the difference between men and woman but part is just simply biological. I am what is referred to in the horse world as “an easy keeper” meaning I don’t need many calories to sustain my weight.

When we are both eating high raw, my guy will start to drop weight. I have to work to get enough calories on his plate. And being vegan, when eating out for business lunches, if he is at a restaurant that doesn’t have vegan options, he ends up with a salad that just isn’t enough.

Yesterday, I decided that it was time to make him some super healthy energy bars because I can’t bare to have him eat any that have processed ingredients. I whipped up some almond butter, and got to work on making a delicious, protein-filled, calorie packed bar. Nuts, seeds, raw oats, and some lovely orange and cinnamon to top it off, these bars are full of nutritional powerhouse stars!

You can eat them as is or frost them with the lovely orange white chocolate glaze. I love them with the topping! There are quite a few ingredients but believe me, these go together very quickly! Pretty much dump and stir.

Each bar (unfrosted) has approximately 184 calories, with 6 grams of protein, 17 grams of carbs and 11 grams of fat. Low fat they are not, high energy, they are! Eliminating the coconut oil will reduce the fat by about 2 grams per serving.

Equipment needed:

• Food processor or high-speed blender

The Vegan Cookie Fairy April 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I TOTALLY get where you’re coming from. I hold on to weight very easily, too. It seems to take absolute ages to drop, if it does at all.

It seems to me that high-raw diets do end up being quite high in fat, even though they’re healthy fats. I don’t eat high raw, but I do sometimes worry whether I consume too many fats. Do you have any tips or advice to know how much is too much? There’s a lot of conflicting information out there, and I never know who’s right and who’s not.

This recipe looks scrumptious, though. It’s mouthwatering :)

Susan April 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Honestly, for me, the bulk of what I eat, if I want to maintain or even lose weight needs to be more on fresh veggies and fruit side. I use dehydrated items and nut based items in small quantities, as add ons. There are recipe calculators out there that can show you the breakdown of your food. You have to figure out for yourself, where your body wants to be as everyone is different.

Shannon Murray April 30, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I really love that there are two options for these delicious energy bars! White cacao with orange zest??!! Yum! Plus I can make them early in the week and have them with me when I’m on the go and be nourished and well-fed, too! Thank you Susan for dreaming these up for us! And thank your sweetie, too, for inspiring this recipe!

Shernell May 1, 2013 at 8:30 am

You always find new ways of catching our attention. Thank you for sharing your gift !

judith millsap May 1, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Just found your raw recipes
Absolutely wonderful I want to try all of them.
I am impressed , have been to many sites but I have
1 comment. I wish you included the breakdown
Calories. Carbs fat protein. Etc.
T. Y. Judithjui

Susan May 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I did on this one… :-) There are many places on-line that you can enter the ingredients of a recipe and it will give you the information.

Therawfoodsisters May 2, 2013 at 7:08 am

Love those bars! Sounds delicious and best option to snack one when you can´t find anything else on the road. Thanks for sharing!

Susan May 2, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thanks! They turned out quite nicely and travel well!

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today May 2, 2013 at 8:26 am

It looks amazing and sounds even better, healthier. I made bars few times and I must say it’s better than ones from store, less sweet.

Jaime May 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I’m making these this weekend! YUM!

Kate May 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Is there any substitute for the oats?

Susan May 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Why do you need to replace the oats? That might give me a partial clue as to what direction to go in.

mainecoonluv May 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Your recipes are wonderful and these look absolutely delicious, as well!

You are THE best at combining wonderful flavors!

Judy May 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm

What could be substituted for the cacao? we don’t do any caffeine. for our chocolate I use raw carob powder.
Thank you.

Kate May 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thanks for the reply — I don’t eat any grains. They give me some digestive issues : -/

Susan May 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Have you tried soaking them? Not sure what would sub in for this recipe.

Mary May 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for sharing another great recipe, I am new at trying raw food so far I am enjoying it.
Regarding this recipe, it is very hard to find hemp seeds where I am. what would you suggest?

Susan May 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm

You could try adding more chia.

Ginny May 3, 2013 at 12:03 am

I don’t have raw cacao butter but I have coconut butter. You are very specific to say not to use it. Can you tell me why? I’m really wanting to try it.

Susan May 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm

You certainly are free to use coconut butter but it’s taste and texture are completely different that white cacao butter. I wanted a white chocolate – orange frosting so that is how I wrote the recipe. Cheers!

Lin May 3, 2013 at 4:48 pm

When do I cut them into bars? Before drying overnight or after? Do I peel them off the parchment befor drying? They taste GREAT just the way they are. Thank you so much for your recipes and wonderful pictures.

Susan May 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

You can cut them into bars when ever you want. You should remove the parchment prior to drying ie. “remove to drying racks” means remove from parchment.

Hannah May 3, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I am an absolute fool for the flavor of cocoa butter. No shame here, I would total smear that frosting on toast in the morning.

Bettena May 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Made this tonight dry as we speake. Used dried apricots as I did not have raisins…Yummy!

Ginny May 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I made ‘em and my family loved them! I went ahead and used the coconut butter since that’s what I had and they were yummy! Also added sunflower seeds instead of hemp. Not as white and pretty as yours but still wonderful.

Carmen May 8, 2013 at 12:27 am

Just returning to a raw diet and I found your site! This recipe looks amazing.

Tami May 9, 2013 at 8:55 am

This was really good! I subbed organic orange extract for the zest! Thanks so much for the great recipe!!!

Amber May 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Well I agree that we all have different body types and store/burn calories differently. But I am a woman and built just like your husband. Tall, lean, can eat like a horse and I’ve always been thin (and I don’t exercise). It’s just how I am built. My daughter is the same way, as is my dad and brother. Genetics baby! I think it all just depends on the person, no matter if you’re a man or woman, we are all build different and there is such a range. :-)

Loving these bars! Just gorgeous. I thought the bars were great, then you have the frosting…be still my beating heart. Just lovely. Pinning for another day…(soon)! ;-) Thank you for another great recipe. LOVE your blog.

Foods4Health May 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Have just started looking into vegan diets and vegan recipes as I have many friends who have begun a vegan diet or have been on it for a while. I LOVE these ingredients. Healthy, nutritious, and tasty! Can’t wait to try these and even pass them along to my fellow raw eaters. So glad I found your site and look forward to learning more and getting new recipes. Thanks again :).

carmen May 17, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hello Susan, This recipe looks wonderfully easy to make. What would you recommend as an alternative to raw cocoa butter? I’m not sure i can find this locally without having to order online. I appreciate your help. ~kindly, carmen

dilia June 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

hi can you use regular oats instead of raw oats? these raw oats are new to me we don’t have them in my country. gonna make this today and just want to confirm if the regular oats are fine since that’s all we got and i don’t want to use all this yum ingredients and it not being ok to use it. thanks

Susan June 9, 2013 at 1:12 pm

If you don’t mind that it isn’t raw…that would be fine.

Marianne July 17, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hi Susan. Just came across your great website. Do you think rather than drying these overnight on ‘drying racks’ it could be popped in a food dehydrator for a short time? Probably a ‘dumb’ question, but I am new to raw recipes and my food dehydrator just arrived yesterday. thanks

Susan July 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Yes, they can be dehydrated, too!

Lisa Reynoso August 9, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I think your husband is relates to mine. He has a high metabolism, and even though he hasn’t been actually exercising (unless you count extensive yard work on our country acre), he needs more calories than I do even when I’m burning over 300 in my half-hour exercise routine! If he doesnt get enough, he drops weight, and he is not the kind of person who will overeat–he simply cannot. I, on the other hand, must watch my calories if I want to lose.

Btw, to the lady who cannot have oats, what about quinoa flakes? Quinoa is not a grain.

Susan August 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Boyfriend….not married here. :-)

Clau August 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Susan , these look INCREDIBLE! I am dying to make these yum yum. This might be a dumb question but I’m a little confused with the rolling with parchment paper and the drying racks. So you have to place a parchment paper, then place “mixture” then another parchment paper. Then you immediately remove both parchments papers and transfer them to drying racks. Im new to all of this, and in my knowledge drying racks are like where you dry your dishes, is this some kind off special “equipment”? Sorry Its just a little confusing for me. Thank you

Jennifer August 12, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Sorry, I have another question.. I am not a fan for agave or any liquid sweeteners. Can pure vanilla extract be used in its place? Or is that not sweet enough?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Susan August 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Vanilla has no sweetening qualities at all. You will have to experiment. Try stevia.

Jessica McLeish November 21, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Hi! I wanted to save the leftovers, will these freeze ok, and if so should I wrap them in paper or just bag them? Thanks! Jessica

Snoozie and Moose December 8, 2013 at 8:09 pm

We’ve just made our first batch! They’re cooling in the oven (yes, like your dog, we have a hungry cat too!)

The mixture tastes amazing and I can’t wait for them to be ready! How exciting! J xx

Witt December 17, 2013 at 2:14 am

Just made.
Used maple syrup and yacon syrup subbed for agave which I don’t have. They’re great wet and since I couldn’t wait all night I put them in the dehydrator for a few hours. Taking them snowboarding in the morning. Thank you!

Brenda Trace December 31, 2013 at 12:10 pm

So I too am wondering about the rolled quiona. I do not tolerate oats even gluten free ones. Not soaked, not raw, not cooked, not at all. (I can not eat them Sam I am, lol) Possibly buckwheat might work? Ideas? Thanks. I really enjoy your recipes, three cheeses being one of my favorites! Your hard work is much appreciated at our house.

Susan December 31, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I so wish I had time to test out all the different substitutions that people need. I am so crunched with working on new recipes, cookbooks, etc. I would suggest that you give it a try and report back. Cheers!

Brigitte February 2, 2014 at 7:36 pm

A delicious combination of ingredients. I have just one question, after I had combined all the ingredients, rolled them out onto parchment paper, the mixture was way too moist to cut into bars. In a previous comment (May 13th 2013), you said to remove them from the parchment paper prior to drying and cutting them. There is no way I can do that without the whole mixture falling apart. How long is it supposed to sit before it dries enough to cut them into bars? I followed the recipe exactly but I’m not sure if I’m missing something. Thanks,

Brenda February 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I had to improvise using ingredients that I had on hand, but the end result was AMAZING! Thanks for a great idea. I’ve been searching high and low for a good granola bar recipe without a bunch of added oil and with little success. This recipe hits the mark for me. Thanks again!

Susan February 6, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Glad to hear it, Brenda!

Mary Elaine Bullock February 7, 2014 at 12:35 am

I am a newby to raw eating and I am so thrilled to see so many recipes and foods I can eat on this journey to optimum health. May God bless you for all the effort you put into this website. You are truly saving peoples’ lives. I am so grateful!

Mary Bullock

Susan February 7, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Thank you so much, Mary!

Starr Brigante February 10, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Hi Susan… Regarding Nuts & Seeds, Soaked, Not Soaked, Dehydrated or Not. I’ve read through a number of recipes & it’s not always clear to me. When you say “1 cup of almonds” & don’t designate their status, i.e. “soaked”, etc., what kind of almond does the recipe call for?

Next question: Agave. I don’t use it because it’s sugar. I only use Stevia for a sweetner. My concern is the amount of liquid & the texture that Agave gives & Stevia alone cannot subsitute for that. What do you suggest?

Susan February 19, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I always keep pre-soaked, dehydrated nuts in the pantry to use in recipes that call for dry nuts. If there aren’t soaking instructions, the nuts are to be used dry. It’s up to you if you want to pre-soak and dehydrate.

As for the agave-stevia question, I don’t have a good answer. I am not a fan of stevia so don’t use it. I just limit my consumption of agave or maple syrup.

Donna February 12, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I made them but they did not harden. Any idea what I did wrong? They are yummy regardless.

Cherie Thinn February 22, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Can u make them and sell them to me

Cherie Thinn February 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Can make them and sell them to me

Susan March 1, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi, Cherie, I’m sorry but I don’t offer that service. Cheers!

Cherie Thinn February 22, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Can u make them and sell them??

Tammy February 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Do you think you can use quinoa flakes instead of raw oat flakes?

Susan March 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

Quinoa flakes are much more delicate than oats. You can probably do it but will have to adjust other ingredients. Cheers!

Donna March 19, 2014 at 9:44 am

any suggestions re mine being too soft?

Susan March 19, 2014 at 10:48 am

Donna, did you dry them overnight? And also, if your oven was completely closed, sometimes air can’t get in. Cheers!

Brigitte August 27, 2014 at 10:37 am

I’ve made these twice and both times I’ve had to finish them in my dehydrator. They are delicious but I’m wondering why they didn’t dry out? Did the first batch on the counter and the second one in the oven and got the same results. Btw, I made my second batch with dried cherries, white chocolate chips and lemon juice and rind instead of orange – wow, now that was delicious – my favorite!

Susan August 30, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hi, Brigitte, It really depends on a lot of things. The moisture in your ingredients, how humid it is, etc. It is just fine to finish them in the dehydrator. Cheers!