I love when fresh cranberries start appearing in the grocery stores. It is a sure sign that holiday cooking is underway! Cranberries are festive with their bright red color and tart flavor. I love using cranberries in all kinds of raw recipes. Salads, flat breads, even veggie wraps all become a little more interesting and perky with the addition of this little red berry. And talk about packing a nutritional punch.
Cranberries are full of healthy benefits. Naturally high in vitamin C and fiber, cranberries are loaded with phytonutrients. Cranberries specific phytonutrients fight cancer, have antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties. They also have shown the ability to protect against UTI’s (urinary tract infections) by inhibiting the bacterias ability to attach to urinary tract linings. Recent studies are also showing that cranberries help support our immune function!
Inspired by these healthy little red berries, I decided to make a punch for your holiday table. Cranberries, oranges and ginger combine to make a delicious punch. This one is easy to throw together and delightful to drink.
Just a note…I was recently on a flight and as usual, requested cranberry juice when the flight attendent asked me what I would like to drink. I always thought this was a little healthier that other alternatives. Well, on this flight, I recieved the whole can, not just a cup. I looked at the can and found that there was over 230 calories and 53 grams of sugar in one serving! One more reason to whip up your own!
- 1 12 0z bag fresh cranberries
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- 1″ piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped.
- 1/3 cup agave, honey or maple syrup (to taste)
1. Place cranberries, 2 cups water, orange juice and zest and ginger in food processor. Process until a slurry is achieved.
2. Transfer mixture to bowl and add remaining 4 cups water.
3. Let steep in refrigerator at least an hour.
4. Strain off into pitcher and add sweetener to taste. Top with orange slices if desired.