Having just returned from a wonderful trip to the San Francisco area, I was greeted by an empty refrigerator this morning. My first errand? A trip to the farmer’s market, of course! As I browsed the isles, the tomatoes started calling to me. Wanting something fresh for dinner, I started searching for more ingredients.
During the summer months, my favorite dinners always are built around a hearty salad. Produce is abundant, fresh and delicious. With not too much planning, you can whip up a flavorful raw food salad, throw on a handful of nuts and create a healthy, satisfying dinner.
After picking up some small heirloom tomatoes, the purple beans caught my eye. In the bag they went along with a purple onion. I knew I had fresh basil growing at home and a little of that combined with a balsamic vinaigrette would be just the trick. The final touch? A handful of walnuts to provide some more substance.
This salad is easy and good. A perfect dinner for the last few days we have left of summer.
- 3 cups small heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup purple and green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 small purple onion, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup basil, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or agave
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and thick.