Homemade Coconut Butter

by Susan on October 19, 2011

I love coconut butter. You will notice that in many of my recipes, I use coconut butter instead of coconut oil. Why? Because it has a richer flavor and a better texture than coconut oil. But coconut butter is both expensive and hard for some people to find. The solution? Make your own. But be sure to read the comments at the end of the post. It is good, but it isn’t exactly like Artisana coconut butter
, my favorite.

I have seen a lot of posts on making your own coconut butter. I was pretty convinced that homemade coconut butter (made from dried coconut) could never be as good as the brand I like to use which is made from raw coconut. But this post, coconut butter, inspired me to try. I will walk you though the steps.

Homemade Coconut Butter

16 oz organic, unsweetened, dried coconut

Place dried coconut in food processor. I have a 12 cup processor. If yours is smaller, you can adjust and make two batches.

After 2 minutes

After 4 minutes

After 6 minutes. The oils are starting to release.

After 8 minutes it is looking pretty good.

After 10 minutes it is pretty liquid.

Pour it into a clean jar and let cool. Don’t worry, it isn’t hot, just slightly warm. As it cools it will harden.

Conclusion and Tips

I must admit, I was pretty impressed. It hardened (see first picture) after sitting at room temperature for a bit. It looked like coconut butter and it tasted pretty darn good. And I am very picky about the qualities of my ingredients. What I didn’t like was that it is grainy. Even after a turn in the high speed blender, I could never get the beautiful smooth consistency of the Artisana coconut butter I was comparing it to. But in a pinch, especially in recipes that the consistency would be covered up by other textures, it could work. And oh my, it is a fraction of the cost. My 16 ounces of dried coconut made over 2 cups. Probably the equivalent to a 10 ounce jar of the Artisana.

Note: My food processor is a 12 cup KitchenAid. It is a work horse. It didn’t even bat an eye at making this. But all food processors are different. Keep an eye on yours while running it this long.

Check out Rawmazing Desserts for the best raw dessert recipes! A great way to use your coconut butter!

LAMA October 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm

really impresive! i will give a try!
i used coconut butter once, it was really good but expensive as you said. there were rumors about it being a non-healthy type of fat.

Susan October 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm

dee October 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I make coconut butter and milk with brown coconuts. I use two kinds of juicers a twin gear (samson) and a single gear (champion). I take the meat out of the coconut and trim off any brown particals ( not really nessary), then put it in the champion, this makes the coconut butter. I then heat up some water ( the hot water releases more of the oils in the fiber) about two cups per coconut ( it depends on how rich you want the milk) and blend (vitamix) the fiber and water together. Once blended I put that mixture in the Samson ( I start out with the pulp discharge casing almost closed and when the milk starts coming out I open it up almost all the way) , to makes the milk . And with the left over pulp I dehydrate it and make flour. Yes, it is labor intensive but it taste so good.

sarah October 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I go thru 16oz. a week…this will help with cutting costs!

April October 20, 2011 at 7:14 am

This is a very interesting post. Thank you for sharing!

Sweetteach October 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

Looks amazing! Could you use a vitamix instead of a food processor? That’s all I’ve got.

Susan October 20, 2011 at 8:43 am

I haven’t tried it in the vitamix but I would imagine you could. I would think you would want to use the plunger.

Blanka October 20, 2011 at 9:31 am

Susan, you are simply amazing!!! I have been making my own almond and cashew nut butters after I read your post on making your own almond butter but never would have thought to try this as would have thought the coconut flakes too dry. Thank you, as always, for the inspiration!

Blanka October 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

I am sorry – should have said ‘rawmazing’!!!

pietra October 20, 2011 at 9:36 am

Use a Vita Mix for a smooth ANYTHING!

Libbi October 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

Could you do this with the fresh meat of a young thai coconut? LOVE your recipes :)

Susan October 20, 2011 at 11:19 am

No…you will just get a coconut flesh puree.

Marcia October 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Susan, I too would probably not care for the grainy texture.
Do you think when it’s at the more liquid stage that
straining it through a fine mesh strainer would help?

Susan October 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

It is too fine to strain. But I did use it in a recipe today and found it just fine.

Chris October 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm

So you didn’t start with RAW dried coconut???

Susan October 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Yes….You start with dried coconut. As in the recipe.

Alisha October 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I have tried and tried to get this to work and I can never get it to the liquid state, no matter how long I blend (in the Vitamix or in my food processor which is a cheapy brand). Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but my coconut is a very good quality, unsweetened, brand. Mine always looks some where between your 4 and 6 min. pictures, but I’ve gone as long as 20 minutes.

Susan October 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I am not sure what to tell you. Worked like a charm for me. It might be the coconut. Is is dry or does it have some moisture in it?

Molly October 21, 2011 at 8:12 am

I have made my own and the graininess gets to me, but I love the taste. My poor food processor nearly bit the dust making this!

crookedmoonmama October 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

Popped back in to see what you’ve been making and I LOVE this. Coconut butter breaks my kitchen budget!
Thanks for sharing.
xo

GetSkinny GoVegan October 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

How Cool!!!

Joy! October 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm

So thankful you shared this. I have to use mines quite sparingly b/c it’s so expensive. You Rawk.

Veronica October 24, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Hello, just wanted to let you know that I too LOVED Artisana at one point until I started making my own coconut butter about a year ago. I DO use the Vitamix and have never had a problem with it being grainy. It takes maybe 2 1/2 minutes and yes, you have to use the plunger. I also use “Let’s Do Organic” brand shredded coconut…don’t know if it matters, but my friend used shredded coconut from the bin at her local health food store and hers didn’t turn out well. When she used the particular brand, it turned out fine…I suppose it could be an issue with freshness maybe? Who knows how long that coconut sat in the bin! ;-) Now I make six 16 oz jars of delicious coconut butter for what ONE jar of Artisana used to cost me…can’t beat that!! =D

Susan October 25, 2011 at 1:12 am

It’s interesting….I probably wouldn’t have noticed it if I hadn’t done a side by side test. And even after a trip through the vitamix, it still had a little different consistency…which I would expect. :-)

Jennifer Minar-Jaynes October 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Wow–this is going to be so helpful. We go through so much coconut oil in our home & it’s expensive. Haven’t had coconut butter, but know it’s even more expensive, so I’m going to try this through my Vita-Mix and see if I can’t substitute. :)

Thanks for the wonderful tip. After trying it for myself, I’ll link to this post from my own blog!

Best,
Jennifer

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} October 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Love making my own coconut butter! I always found Artisana a bit grainy so the graininess hasn’t bothered me but I am going to give it a whirl in the Vitamix…never thought of that! Such a great way to save money and still get the benefits!

Susan October 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I have used fresh young coconut meat, but you have to dehydate it at 105-114 until dry. I made great coconut butter with it!! I did cost me more money because here in NM the young coconut cost $3.99.

Polly October 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

Hello Susan, when you dehydrate young coconuts do you spread out the meat or dry it in clumps?
Also, have found the Thai coconuts by the case in oriental food shops for under 2 bucks per coconut.
Gonna try this. Thx for your inspiration to keep on learning and discovering! Hope you’re well:)

Leah October 26, 2011 at 10:04 am

I can’t find coconut butter where I live and I have so many recipes that use it, I was so excited to find this recipe! How long will a jar of this keep and do you keep it in the cupboard or in the fridge? Thank you!

Susan October 26, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi, Polly! I do not dehydrate the young coconuts. Someone else does that. I would think that it would actually get very expensive to do it that way instead of using organic unsweetened dried coconut. Or even buying coconut butter!

Lara October 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm

WOW, this looks so easy i cant wait to try it. I have often seen recipes calling for coconut butter and have searched high and low to find it………….thanks so much for sharing such a valuable recipe with me.

Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise October 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Impressive! And so easy to make! I will try for sure!

Amber October 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I linked this post to my monthly round-up. Great job – looks wonderful!

kristi November 7, 2011 at 9:17 am

This looks like a great thing that I’ll be trying soon!!!

Diana November 16, 2011 at 7:35 am

Susan, your blog is amazing, hence good name for it!!

However, I have a concern. You didn’t answer Chris query re RAW dried coconut, you just confirmed that you used dried coconut which is not, by any means, necessarily the same thing. Unless a product actually states it’s produced according to living foods principles, i.e., dehydrated below about 118°F, then it’s most definitely not going to be raw 99.9% of the time. If it’s not no the label, it ain’t so . Commercial dehydrating is almost always equivalent to cooking as temps used are very high.

Fortunately, people like Ann Wigmore have a solution. In her book Recipes for a Longer Life (c) 1978 she gives a “recipe”. She calls for extracting the coconut meat from an actual coconut (best way to go, really, when doing raw if you’re going to make something yourself from scratch) then blending with a bit of Rejuvelac (probably best to just use plain water) and then skim off the oil that rises to the top. That’s the coconut oil.

I had this book years ago and only kept a handful of recipes from it and must admit haven’t tried this but I think if in doubt, doing something like this would be preferable to using a store bought dehydrated product unless it’s a one-off, emergency type of affair. My personal opinion, only, of course!

Wonderful blog, Susan, thanks so much!! Di. :)

Susan November 17, 2011 at 11:37 am

Diana, Yes, if you aren’t sure your dried coconut is dried with the principles of raw food, your coconut butter will not be raw. But if you need it in a pinch, or it is a minor player in a recipe (normally it is used in pretty small quantities vs the amount of raw that is in the recipes), and you don’t mind (kind of like maple syrup) it is a much less expensive alternative to the store-bought.

Robyn November 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm

2nd batch,,,I don’t know if I will ever buy coconut butter or oil again<3

Alex January 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hallo everyone,
I just made my first batch of coconut butter in my Blendtec, it worked like magic, much better then in my Kitchen Aid, I don’t know why, but never mind, it is here at last. Thanks a lot Susan! I will now have to try and experiment and see how it works instead of cocnut oil in some recipes. Keep thrilling us with your wonderful recipes!

Three Cookies February 13, 2012 at 4:40 am

I’ve never used coconut butter but planning to make some. I wonder whether the Artisana butter is made from fresh rather than dehydrated dessicated coconut? If so would it help if the dehydrated coconut was dehydrated first in water or milk?

shaina February 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Do you know about how many cups of dried coconut you started with? I buy mine in bulk and I know 16oz dry is different than 16oz wet. Thanks!

Meagan March 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm

How long will this coconut butter store before it goes bad?
Also, your website is absolutely fabulous.

Leonor Yarhi March 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thanks a lot Susan! I w”ll do it! :)

Le'Sann April 6, 2012 at 1:51 am

I am new to all of this, just started using coconut oil. I purchased organic virgin coconut oil, cold pressed…is this what you are talking about that is not good for you? “Coconut oil, the raw kind, not the refined kind is a healthy fat. It is refined coconut oil, which we are not using here, that is not healthy. Coconut oil actually has many health benefits.” I found the oil to be somewhat expensive, but reasonable on line…and I love it.. never seen or heard of coconut butter

Susan April 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Organic, cold pressed is the raw kind, the healthy kind. Cheers!

Hannah May 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I thought this was used for skin. Is it the same thing?

Susan May 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm

This is used in Recipes. Cheers!

karina hafnor May 20, 2012 at 8:30 am

Tried this with coconut flesh, and it did not work. Tasted great though!

Maria May 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Hi Susan. Amazing recipe! How do you store it? I know you said in a clean jar, but do you keep it out or refrigerate it? Also, how long does it usually last?

Susan May 29, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I store it in the cabinet just like I store my other coconut butter. It lasts for months. Cheers!

Mandie May 31, 2012 at 8:57 pm

never got this to work very disappointing