Homemade Coconut Butter

by Susan on October 19, 2011

I love coconut butter. You will notice that in many of my recipes, I use coconut butter instead of coconut oil. Why? Because it has a richer flavor and a better texture than coconut oil. But coconut butter is both expensive and hard for some people to find. The solution? Make your own. But be sure to read the comments at the end of the post. It is good, but it isn’t exactly like Artisana coconut butter
, my favorite.

I have seen a lot of posts on making your own coconut butter. I was pretty convinced that homemade coconut butter (made from dried coconut) could never be as good as the brand I like to use which is made from raw coconut. But this post, coconut butter, inspired me to try. I will walk you though the steps.

Homemade Coconut Butter

16 oz organic, unsweetened, dried coconut

Place dried coconut in food processor. I have a 12 cup processor. If yours is smaller, you can adjust and make two batches.

After 2 minutes

After 4 minutes

After 6 minutes. The oils are starting to release.

After 8 minutes it is looking pretty good.

After 10 minutes it is pretty liquid.

Pour it into a clean jar and let cool. Don’t worry, it isn’t hot, just slightly warm. As it cools it will harden.

Conclusion and Tips

I must admit, I was pretty impressed. It hardened (see first picture) after sitting at room temperature for a bit. It looked like coconut butter and it tasted pretty darn good. And I am very picky about the qualities of my ingredients. What I didn’t like was that it is grainy. Even after a turn in the high speed blender, I could never get the beautiful smooth consistency of the Artisana coconut butter I was comparing it to. But in a pinch, especially in recipes that the consistency would be covered up by other textures, it could work. And oh my, it is a fraction of the cost. My 16 ounces of dried coconut made over 2 cups. Probably the equivalent to a 10 ounce jar of the Artisana.

Note: My food processor is a 12 cup KitchenAid. It is a work horse. It didn’t even bat an eye at making this. But all food processors are different. Keep an eye on yours while running it this long.

Check out Rawmazing Desserts for the best raw dessert recipes! A great way to use your coconut butter!

Diane June 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Hi
Would you use the coconut butter just like coconut oil??
Thanks

Susan June 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I have made this quite a few times. It could be your food processor or the coconut you were using.

Susan June 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I use it in quite a few dessert recipes. It has more flavor and richness. It would depend on the recipe as to if you could substitute it for plain coconut oil. Cheers!

Kenny Cartwright July 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I have never had coconut butter, so I cannot compare consistency. In my Hamilton Beach (hey- I am single so I have to do the housewife work as well!, it took about 5 minutes to get to liquid state, but was pretty grainy. I went an extra 5 minutes nad it got a lot less grainy- not completely, but barely noticeable. I am very grateful for your instructions- I read about some benefits of coconut butter this morning- now I can try it out with a lot less expense!

Susan July 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thank you Kenny. Sometimes depending on the coconut, your equipment, etc. you need to alter the instructions a bit. Great job! Cheers!

Adele July 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Can’t wait to make this. Is the dried coconut the kind you buy in a bag like Bakers?

Susan July 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

No…you don’t want to use Bakers. You want to find a dried, organic coconut. Check your coop or Whole Foods. It should be unsweetened.

Christie August 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm

This is one recipe I look forward to make and hoping it is tasty like coconut cream!

Maria Carolina August 7, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hi there this looks fantastic! Just one question: Can I make this with fresh coconut?

Susan August 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi, Maria, It won’t work with fresh coconut. Cheers!

Michele August 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I tried Artisana coconut butter for the first time last week (had their Cacao Bliss awhile back + fell in love). Will definitely have to try making my own as well.
Michele
short girl, long island

carol Prichard August 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Susan
I tried to make coconut oil with my Angel twin gear juicer. I bought Fresh shredded coconut from the local market, I live in Vietnam dried it in the dehydrator. put it through the machine it jammed after awhile, worried about breaking my machine I gave up on thT idea.
I got the idea from you tube but he used an omega single gear juicer. What little product I did get I was very happy with though. he also made coconut butter. I love this guy. The both of you are my kitchen gods.
CaiHong

Daniela August 21, 2012 at 5:27 am

Hi, Susan. I tried to make coconut butter with my Omega single gear juicer according to the video I saw on youtube. In the end everything seemed all right. I put the jar with coconut butter to the fridge and after four days I wanted to use it. However, it was totally sour. Could you tell me, please, if there are some special requirements for storage of coconut butter? Thank you in advance.

Susan August 22, 2012 at 11:56 am

Since I don’t know anything about the video, instructions, ingredients, etc. I can not tell you what went wrong. This recipe lasts for weeks. Cheers!

Daniela August 23, 2012 at 3:17 am

Hi, Susan. The only ingredient is coconut meat from freshly opened coconut. Nothing more, nothing less. Could it be that the coconut was wrong? In my location is impossible to buy coconut butter so I am no able to compare how it should taste. However, after making it was all right (I guess). I would like to prepare it according to you recipe but I don’t have food processor, so I try this alternative with juicer. Thank you.

Dan September 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I’m curious as to why you say it won’t work with fresh coconut? If I had my heart set on using fresh coconut, what would I need to do? Is it a moisture thing?

Susan September 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hi, Dan, This recipe only works with dry coconut. If you use fresh, you will get a coconut puree, not coconut butter. Cheers!

melinda October 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm

wondering if i could toast the coconut then make it butter for a different flavor?!

Susan October 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Because this is a raw site, I have not tried that. You are free to and report back but know that toasting is not the most nutritious way to consume. Cheers!

Mexie October 3, 2012 at 12:12 am

If you would like to use fresh coconut, what you need to do is process it to flakes, then dry it in a food dehydrator, and finally reprocess the dried coconut to achieve coconut butter. I’m going to try this using the dehusked coconut available at the Asian Market.

Kaylene October 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for this recipe it is great. I have been wondering how to make it. The step by step photos are very helpful.

Angela November 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm

How long will this last? I made some a few months ago and put in cabinet, went to use today & it smelled fine but there were these white circles on top. does this have to be stored in fridge?

Becky November 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Could I make this in a Vitamix instead of a food processor?

Susan November 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

You probably could but I haven’t yet. You will have to experiment. Cheers!

Tyana November 19, 2012 at 5:12 am

This website is such an inspiration! I’ve tried making coconut butter using Magic Bullet with the flat blade. It takes not more than 2 minutes to turn about a cup of dried coconut into butter. Thanks for great idea!

Angela @ Canned Time November 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I tried making this once in a blender and it failed. I’m sure it was just the lack of power. It looks so perfect here, it may be worth the investment in a new food processor (especially with the price of store bought)
Thanks so much for a great post!

karen December 5, 2012 at 4:28 am

thanks, just did a small amount in a mini blender a bit like a magic bullet (just a cheap $20 mimic) and worked a treat. Have never tried coconut butter as the local organic shop only sells the oil and said to use that. I am making Frosted B-raw-nies for the first time and wanted to stick as close to the recipe as possible and this looks and tastes great. I’m sure my reluctant hubby wont even know we are dairy and cane sugar free, let alone raw. Really happy with the coconut butter, thanks heaps, am sure I’ll use this often.

Mary January 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I made it using coconut from the fresh market. took a lot longer to get to liquid than 10 mins or so. maybe my old processor.

Tammie February 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm

How do you store this? In the fridge?
Enjoy your day!

suzanne curran February 10, 2013 at 12:34 am

i want to try the SCD diet please give me some tips sincerely suzanne curran

suzanne curran February 10, 2013 at 12:39 am

my son is sick im trying to help him i have bad eyesight sincerely Suzanne Curran

Susan February 10, 2013 at 11:32 am

I would suggest that you look for a SCD site. Cheers!

Sophie February 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi Susan! I just tried this and have got to a point where the bottom layer is buttery (not quite liquid) but I’m getting a lot of coconut thrown up on the sides of the bowl by the blades. I only put about 3.5 cups of shredded coconut in and I have a 12-13 cup bowl: I’m guessing I’ve put in too little? Thanks for your help!

Susan February 12, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Just scrape down the sides and keep going. Cheers!

Sophie February 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Kept trying but I can’t seem to progress past oily to liquid. I’ll try again with more coconut – determined to make it work :)

ursula March 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm

For the grainy issue has anyone tried straining it through a cheese cloth?

Susan March 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm

The grain is extremely fine. Plus, as this is a butter, it would be next to impossible to strain.

clarissa March 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm

OMG , I am learning lots of tricks from you! I did not read all the above comments but wanted to ask, after your did the FP and ran it in a blender, did you use a Vita mix? just asking as thats what I have and would try. Thanks so much I picked up some coconut at the farmers market. I adore you! Thanks

Susan March 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I have only made this in the food processor, not the high-speed blender. You certainly can try but I would do it in smaller batches and make sure you scrape it down a lot. Cheers!

Kiri April 6, 2013 at 1:32 am

Anyone know of a brand that sells raw coconut flakes I can uses for this recipe??

Steffanie Michelle July 16, 2013 at 10:07 am

I have a lot of coconut tree at my home. Can I use the raw coconut to make this? and how can I make coconut milk?

Susan July 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

I have not tried it with raw coconut. I am not sure it would work. Also, there is a recipe for coconut milk. Just search coconut milk in the search box on the right. :-)

Steffanie Michelle July 16, 2013 at 10:10 am

I have coconut trees in my garden. I used all ways the raw coconut. Can I use raw coconut to make this butter?
And how can I make coconut milk?

Cathy August 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Tropical Traditions brand coconut oil has a coconut cream concentrate. Are you familiar with this? Is coconut butter the same as coconut cream?

Silvia August 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for a great recipe.

Shblues October 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi Sue, can use shredded or desiccated coconut package ? Also store in fridge or cupboard ? Thanks

ANNE TWINE October 29, 2013 at 9:04 am

Please can you tell me what sort of food processor you use as I will be getting a new one soon

Tessa November 4, 2013 at 9:18 am

Will this work in a vitamixer instead It’s 2 horsepower and I dont have a processor.

Looks great thanks

Allison November 26, 2013 at 8:03 am

Hi Sue! Thank you so much for this tutorial. I live in the Philippines now while my husbands in med school and lets just say import good are double expensive ! I just made this and it only costed 15 pesos! ( $.34) what a steal! Thanks!

Livi February 11, 2014 at 2:02 pm

yum!! do you think this would work with toasted coconut?