Kitchen Sink Raw Cookies

by Susan on February 7, 2012

Sometimes I just want a bite of something sweet. But I still want it to be healthy, quick and easy. People call these “kitchen sink” cookies (everything but the kitchen sink) or “dump” cookies (you just dump stuff in them), but what ever you want to call them, they are great. Requiring no dehydrator or equipment other than a bowl, spoon and measuring cups to make, they are a fast way to throw together a snack that satisfies both your sweet tooth and your nutritional needs.

I started with a ganach base made with a little more coconut oil for setting up. Then the fun happens. You just throw in your favorite ingredients. I picked pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds for protein and nutrients, then threw in raw oats and coconut for more nutrients and texture. I love the addition of dried fruit and used golden raisins. You easily could substitute with goji berries or dried cranberries.

Have fun and go wild with your choices!

Kitchen Sink Cookies

• 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
  • 1/3 cup raw, organic agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup raw, flaked oats
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • Himalayan salt (just a sprinkle)

1. Whisk together coconut oil, cacao powder and agave.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients.

3. Form into golf ball-sized balls and place on parchment paper.

4. Chill until firm.

Tara Bauman February 7, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I didn’t think raw oats were digestible. Best to stick with gluten-free version.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 7, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I’m a big fan of easy and quick cookies like that, great for filling that chocolate fix!

Susan February 7, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Tara, these are raw, flaked oats. I eat them all the time and love them. No problems digesting. You can also soak your oats for 12 hours and dehydrate if you wish. You can also find certified gluten free oats. :-)

Carol Galanty February 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Susan, This looks great…I’m going to try it. What brand of raw flaked oats do you use? And do you buy them online?

Susan February 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I get my raw, flaked oats from Sunrise Flour Mill. There is a link to them in the right sidebar.

Amanda February 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm

These look amazing! I love how you give such detailed and complete and EASY recipes!! You are making the world a healthier place my dear! :)

Alix Bachmann February 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Susan, do you soak your seeds?

Susan February 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Most of the time I soak and dehydrate as soon as I get them so they are ready to go when I need them. Cheers!

Sara February 7, 2012 at 11:55 pm

OhMyGanache, these look extremely tasty and wonderfully satisfying!!! :) i can’t wait to gather my goodies and gobble these up! :) xoxo

Nicole February 8, 2012 at 2:20 am

These look yumliscious:) and easy to make – I think I have most of the ingredients (minus the oats) in my pantry! Love it! :) Create a fabulous week!

Anna February 8, 2012 at 3:03 am

These look amazing! I really would like to try them :). But need you advise first: I tried to make your ganache a couple of times, but for whatever reason it never becomes smooth, it stays grainy (like you have tons of really tiny sand particles). I followed the recipe exactly. Where do I go wrong? Does it have do with using raw cacao? Please help!! Thanks a lot!!

Kim February 8, 2012 at 6:56 am

Do you have to soak the seeds/nuts then dehydrate them? Is there a reason for doing this? I am new to the raw way of life-But very interested in it!

Susan February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am
Susan February 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

Anna, Honestly, I have never had that problem and I have made dozens of batches. When things get grainy, one thing you need to make sure is that no moisture has been introduced. Even a drop of water can cause problems. Also, is your coconut oil completely liquid and are you using a whisk? I would check and see if your coconut oil has a grainy consistency. Other than that, I am stumped.

Joanna February 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

I just made these and they are fantastic! Ganache turned out perfect. Anna- maybe try sifting the cacao powder?

Anne February 8, 2012 at 11:55 am

Hi, I am confusing about this “Agave Nectar” as recently I been told it is “bad”…. Thanks.

Susan February 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

I have written about how I feel about agave here: http://www.rawmazing.com/agave-hero-or-villain/. But as you noticed in the recipe, it says agave nectar or sweetener of choice. You can use something else if you wish. I use an agave that I trust and still feel confident in the product.

Anne February 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thanks Susan and appreciate your link.

Susan February 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

There may be some agave nectars that are made that way but the good organic raw ones are made from the sap of the agave plant and reduced under low heat with natural enzymes. Not like that article states. I have done extensive research on this, have found agave that I trust so I use it. You do not need to if you do not wish to. I feel that articles like that damage the people who are working extremely hard to produce a healthy, quality product.

Gail Quillman February 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Great! And perfect timing. I love the way you find imaginative ways to put together absolutely delicious creations, Susan.

Thanks and Brava!

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} February 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I cannot *wait* to try these! I do believe I have everything on hand except the raw cacao powder :).

Stacey February 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

could spelt flakes be subbed for the oats?

Patti February 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

These look awesome….and just in time for Valentine’s Day! xoxoxo Thank you once again Susan for creating a beautiful yest simple recipe! Your recipes always turn out perfect. xoxo

Patti February 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

*yet

Ellen February 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I’ve tried again and again to use raw oats…soaking and rinsing and dehydrating them etc, but they always have a very bitter disgusting unedible flavor. Any suggestions? Thanks

ChenaRaw February 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

YUM!!! When my next chocolate craving strikes, I’m whipping up a batch of these! A note to Kim. When I first discovered the raw lifestyle a few years ago, I did not have a dehydrator so I did not bother soaking the nuts and seeds that I was using. After a few weeks, I started breaking out really bad and getting little sores on my arms. When I stopped eating nuts and seeds that had not been soaked, my symptoms went away. After various experimentations, I have realized that these skins problems are a sign that I am eating things that my body can’t digest very well. Hope this helps you in your journey!
Cheers,
Nicki

Susan February 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Ellen…you need to source different oats. I have never had that problem with them. :-)

Carrie L Carree February 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I just made these and could not stop eating them right out of the bowl, this is a keeper!!

KellyB February 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm

hi
These tasted great. I used buckwheat crispies (soaked & dehydrated buckwheat groats) in place of the oats and I love the crispness they add. Used dried cherries but I think raisins would be better.
Susan, do you refridgerate your soaked/dehydrated seeds and nuts?
thanks

Susan February 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Love the crispies idea! I will try that. It depends on the time of year. If it is summer and more humid, I do. In the winter, no. BUT….I will say, I have had almonds mould on me so you need to be careful to make sure you get them really dry.

Chris February 9, 2012 at 1:38 am

Fasting/feasting right now but will hold onto this recipe for the future! Thanks for sharing and thanks for all your hard work, Susan!!!

Razia February 9, 2012 at 4:36 am

Hey Susan, this looks so easy I am surely giving it a try. I love sweet stuff and much nicer when its made of healthy stuff and raw.

Rosanne February 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much. These look great. Can’t wait to make them!!

andrea walheim February 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I made the cookies tonight; they were really good. I used a combo of figs and apricots I had whirled in the food processor for some banana bread that I had leftover in place of the sunflower seeds and raisins. Also Susan I made your chocolate mousse last week: I’ve been on a chocolate binge lately. Fantastico! Keep up the creativity and passion you infuse into all of your recipes. Andrea

kathi limbaugh February 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

i just made these and they are still in the bowl (well whats left after i ate a bunch of it, beyond yum!)
i am having a problem getting them to form into a ball, they do not stick.
please help i am looking forward to eating them without a spoon

Susan February 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm

It may have cooled off too much. Warm it up and form away.

Jayne koch February 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Love the taste of these and the ease of making them. But they were too loose & didn’t form into balls. Previously you mentioned they may have cooled off. Was the ganache supposed to be cooked? My coconut oil was already at room temp & melted. Tasted good out of the bowl!

Lou Whitcomb February 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Did you use the chia seeds as a gel or dry? Thank you. I can’t wait to try them, as always your recipes are so good.

Susan February 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm

No the ganache does not need to be cooked…this is a raw site, after all… :-) BUT the coconut oil does need to start in a liquid, not just soft.

Susan February 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm

The chia seeds are used dry. Cheers!

Jenna February 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I just made these and they are fantastic. I didn’t have any trouble getting them to hold together….just like in the picture. But I made I followed the recipe closely and didn’t let the mixture start to harden too much!

Lou Whitcomb February 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

I think they are the best cookie yet. Thank you.

Kate February 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Made these a couple of days ago–What a delicious and satisfying cookie! Keeper!

Katy March 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Made these today… all I have to say is WOW! My one problem with the raw diet is my need to snack (not a real need of course) and these satisfy any craving and are SO easy! I can’t wait to bring a batch to school with me so my cohorts can try them and marvel at my raw “diet” :D

kathi limbaugh March 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm

just a footnote to my non conforming cookies :) when i could not get them to form i put them in a bowl and set them in the frig. about an hour later i can hear my husband in the kitchen eating away. when i asked what he was eating he said with a satisfying tone in his voice i put the kitchen sink on some yogurt and it’s rawsome! this has become a staple sweet treat, thank you and thank goodness for happy mishaps.

Daara April 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I completely agree with Katy. Things that can be made in big batches and stored relatively easily are a saviour. I know, I know, if you want a snack there’s always nuts and fruit for instant gratification, but sometimes I really just want a MADE food. This sort of recipe makes the people who normally scoff at the raw diet jealous.

rebekah May 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

AMAZING. try it it with sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat groats and you get an amazing crunch like rice crispy :D. i also enjoy switching the coconut oil for almond/nut butter.

Hannah July 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

THANK YOU! I threw in flax seeds, HealthForce Nutritionals vitamineral greens powder (LOVE), some raw maple, and inca berries. so happy!

Nellie October 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Love them! Made them for my mom once and she’s hooked on them now. And we’re not even on a raw diet :)

DeDe March 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

I’m with the other posters. I couldn’t get mine to form a ball. I just spooned globs on to a sheet. They kind of stuck together as they cooled but then crumble when eating. Help!?