It was a scorcher here in Minneapolis on Monday. We broke a bunch of records as our temp climbed to 103 degrees. To top it off, there were high winds! It was crazy weather. When it gets that hot, I want cool, refreshing raw food.
I picked up some cucumbers at the farmer’s market and decided to make this refreshing cucumber salad. You want to start this the day before so it has time for the flavors to marry. I decided to try something different for the sweetener and used evaporated palm coconut sugar. It is low glycemic, and sustainable and actually has nutrients in it! With its deeper taste it worked quite well in this recipe. It your coop doesn’t carry it, you can look on line to order.
Marinated Cucumber Salad
- 2 cucumbers, sliced very thin
- 1 sweet onion, sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons organic evaporated palm coconut sugar
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
1. Mix marinade ingredients together.
2. Toss in cucumbers and onions.
3. Let marinate overnight in refrigerator.