Raw Apple Pie

by Susan on June 8, 2010

I have had quite a few requests by friends and readers to create a raw food recipe for an apple pie. One friend in particular has been very insistent, mentioning it almost every time I see her…for months.

I don’t know about other raw food chefs, but my creative process is fickle. I need to be inspired. Something I see or read will trigger my creative flow and I go to work in the kitchen. Without that inspiration, that feeling that I need to make this now, I could sit for hours just staring into space having no idea what I should do.

Yesterday, I was finally inspired to create a recipe for a raw apple pie. I bought some beautiful, organic apples and set to work. I love walnuts with apples, so I had to make a walnut crust. Wanting soft apples, and also the juicy feel of a “baked” apple pie, a little oat flour was combined with the apple mixture creating a filling that is like a traditional recipe. I am very pleased with the results and hope you will be, too! This recipe takes a little more preparation than my normal recipes but it is worth it.

Raw Apple Pie with Maple Cinnamon Glaze

Crust:

• 2 cups walnuts, soaked until soft
  • 2 tablespoons coconut butter
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar

1. Drain walnuts. Place in food processor and process until a coarse meal is achieved.

2. Add coconut butter and agave nectar. Mix until well combined.

2. Press 1/4 in thick into tart shells or 9″ pie plate.

3. Dehydrate for 3 hours at 116. You can start at at 140 for 45 minutes and then lower the temp.

Filling:

• 4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup raw oat flour

1. Place apple slices in bowl.

2. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss.

3.Mix together maple syrup, agave and cinnamon.

4. Stir into apple mixture

5. Add oat flour and toss to coat.

6. Place filling in two separate glass pie plates.

7. Place in dehydrator and dehydrate at 115 for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Add water if mixture starts to dry out.

Maple Cinnamon Glaze

• 1 tablespoon coconut butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup*
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Whisk all ingredients together to combine.

Assembly:

1. Place filling in four, 4″ tart shells or one 9″ pie plate that you have already prepared with the crust.

2. Place back into dehydrator for 2 hours.

3. Remove and top with Maple Cinnamon Glaze

*maple syrup is not raw but used in raw food recipes.

Sheila Willis June 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

Sounds very very good. Will have to try it soon!

Elle June 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

This looks absolutely amazing! Well,, Rawmazing, I guess you could say! ;) The photo makes me want to just dig right in. it’s gorgeous!

Susan June 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

Elle: Always the best comment! Thanks!

Kelly June 8, 2010 at 11:49 am

This looks so yummy! Thanks for posting! I believe my taste buds will sing after trying this!

Andrea [Sweet N Green] June 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

omg, this looks delicious! I am throwing a party this weekend and this will be the perfect dessert! Thank you for sharing!

Andrea [Sweet N Green] June 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Also, do you think this will be fine if I make it the night before and then just keep it in the fridge overnight?

Susan June 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I think the crust could get soggy….You might want to do the assembly the day of.

Dot D. June 8, 2010 at 4:09 pm

OhMyGosh! Stopped eating apple pie a long time ago, but this I must try!!! My mouth is watering already…..

Jessie R June 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm

wow!!

Amy Oscar June 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Gorgeous, Susan. This one’s going in my blue notebook. (That means it’s a keeper!) Can’t wait to try it.

lisbet June 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Now how much would it cost to get you to mail one of those to me? ;) (I am living at a language training program for the summer and have nowhere to prepare food for myself- basically a dorm, but no communal kitchen.)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

That is beautiful! I’m not very much into nuts and my husband is very allergic to them but that crust actually looks really good!

Pure2raw twins June 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Beautiful!!! YUMMY

Jenna June 8, 2010 at 10:21 pm

SweetonVeg shared this link today, boy am I glad she did. What an amazing site; can’t wait to try all your fabulous recipes (drooling!). I am SO making this on Friday!

Lauren June 9, 2010 at 10:08 am

Wow, apple pie is my all time favorite! This looks beyond decadent! YUM!

Julie June 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

Another winner!! Just wondering if you can recommend a substitute for oat flour- my partner is gluten intolerant. Thanks!

Faith Lubitz June 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm

this looks great, I wondered Susan if you’ve run into any issues with moldy walnuts lately. I stopped buying them for a while after getting a couple of bags from the Wedge (raw organic whole bulk walnuts) that had some moldy tasting nuts in them.

Ellen June 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I have been craving apple pie for three days! Oh my, this is getting prepared today!!!
Big mahalo!

Susan June 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oats do not have gluten in them. If you need certified gluten free oats, you can purchase them (processed in a facility that doesn’t process anything with gluten) on the internet.

Pam June 10, 2010 at 7:27 am

Love raw apple pie…so pretty!

helene June 10, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Is it possible to make the crust without dehydrating? putting it in refrigerator?

Susan June 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Helene: The way this crust is made, it needs dehydration. You could try it without soaking the walnuts but you won’t have the same texture.

Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet June 12, 2010 at 1:38 am

Absolutely beautiful and delicious looking! I would love a slice right now. :-)

Mel June 12, 2010 at 1:55 am

I don’t usually comment but this recipe looks amazing and simple and easy enough for me to make – which being an awful chef is what I look for. I am definitly giving this a try.

Lauri June 14, 2010 at 9:58 am

That looks so YUMMY! I can’t wait to try it. . .

Revvell June 15, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hey Susan!!!

Been wondering where you are so had to stop in and see you. Glad I did!!!! Apple pie looks delicious!!! Been attending and live streaming open mics and sing-alongs at The Coffee Gallery (http://bit.ly/aYZgEL) here in Altadena and have been bringing them raw goodies. Gonna have to share you and yours!!!!

Hoping all is well,

Revvell
Bodacious Living

zoe June 16, 2010 at 1:10 am

wow, that is BEAUTIFUL!!! i most definitely want to try making this.

…one problem though. i don’t own a dehydrator! i know you can use the oven for most instances in raw “cooking” but do you know how i could go about it for this apple pie?

Susan June 16, 2010 at 7:38 am

Zoe: If you use the oven, you can’t be assured that you will keep the food temp under 116. If that is ok, then go for it. I honestly have no idea what times and temps would be. You would have to experiment.

Aggie June 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Oh my heaven…that looks unbelievable!!

Susan June 21, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Aggie….it is a tasty one! Doesn’t stay around for very long. :-)

C June 22, 2010 at 10:58 am

I’m making this tonight! It looks phenomenal! And I’m trying to eat more food raw.

blahblah June 26, 2010 at 3:08 am

This recipe has over two thousand calories. Seriously. Raw/Vegan does not equal healthy.

Susan June 26, 2010 at 6:08 am

To blahblah: Yes, the entire recipe has over 2,000 calories but it also makes 6-8 servings making each serving between 250 and 350 calories. Which is very similar to a normal piece of apple pie. The difference is all of the calories in this pie contain nutrients. Something that a normal apple pie made from butter, sugar, white flour can’t claim. The apples are also not cooked so they retain a much higher nutritional profile. It is a dessert and should be treated as one. But I for one, would rather eat a dessert that actually nourishes my body instead of one that is unhealthy and actually puts harmful substances in my body. So I will respectfully disagree. Raw, vegan does equal healthy.

Amy Oscar June 26, 2010 at 6:37 am

I have to respond to blahblah’s comment about calories: I’m 52 years old; with 40 pounds of ‘after-babies’, ‘after forty’ weight that I’d just about given up on ever getting rid of. I have tried every diet there is, including Weight Watchers, Zone, Atkins, and counting calories, so I am speaking from experience. When I switch to 80-100 percent raw food, the weight melts off, no matter how many calories of raw food I consume. I don’t understand the science of this – I will leave that to Susan – but I see that it works. I also see the health benefits every day: Joint pain, gone; heachaches, gone; skin, glowing. Seriously, blahblah, I encourage you to try it.

Sure, it is probably possible to do raw food in an unhealthy way – but why would you? Eating a well-balanced raw meal – with sprouted grains and/or sprouted beans; lots of fresh veggies; nuts and seeds – and following it up with this apple pie – that’s the way to eat raw.

Calen October 11, 2010 at 12:36 am

I have been flipping back and forth with raw and not raw in my diet. After running into your web site, I couldn’t stop looking and want to try lots of the recipes on this site. I definitely will go more raw now that I have your yummy recipes. Thank you sooo sooo much for sharing. Now, I better go to bed…lol

Jenine October 13, 2010 at 10:23 am

I just made this and it was really good. The only thing I may do is reduce the amount of sugar. It was sweet for me and I didn’t add the Maple Cinnamon Glaze but it was delicious.

Eva October 14, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Thank you for another great treat. I made this tonight, it tasted great but turned out more like an apple crisp…..did not look as photo perfect as yours, but was a treat to eat – the family really enjoyed it!

Eva October 14, 2010 at 8:29 pm

To Blahblah, I can understand your concern for the high calorie content of Raw food deserts. Susan is right the nutritional benefits outweigh the concern of the calories.

Another thing is, apples are a negative calorie food – meaning out bodies use more calories to digest than the food actually contains!

still moderation is key no matter which diet you are on.

Anna October 31, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Absolutely the most awesome apple pie I’ve had! made this yesterday for a dinner party, and it was a hit. Thank you SO MUCH!! I will definitely be making this again — and again!

Janie July 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm

how should i go about this if i do not have a dehydrator? looks and sounds amazing, but im not sure what i should do first since the filling needs to be done 6 hrs. and crust only 3. with no dehydrator. and i have been wanting to get one, any suggestions?

Susan July 11, 2011 at 7:30 am

I have only made this recipe with a dehydrator, because it is a raw recipe. Unfortunately I don’t have the time or resources to try other methods (ie the oven) of “baking” the pie especially since it would no longer be raw.

janie July 17, 2011 at 2:25 am

will a version of this be in your new no dehydrator book? i really want to make it..

Kaye August 3, 2011 at 8:47 am

Wonder what is the nutritional count for this?

Ms. Tee August 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I am actually making this without a dehydrator, I’m using a toaster oven. It has controls that go 116 and under. I’m on the last two hours. So far, so good. Thanks!

Paula August 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

Just to clarify the information above relating to gluten intolerance, the information on which grains contain gluten is based on research that well over 60 years old. Recent studies have shown that all grains contain some form of gluten, and there are many people who have gone undiagnosed for years and years who discover that even the so-called gluten-free grains, certified or not, are not tolerated by a digestive system that has been compromised for a very long time. I realize that this does not apply to everyone, and that not a lot of people are even aware of it, but since there are a lot of people who cannot eat even sprouted grains, it is a bit of a disappointment to find raw recipes that contain grains and/or flours with no idea of what (or if) substitution might be possible. Not all of us are good at creating good raw recipes, so this is just a little shout out to those who are to consider leaving grains out of the equation. :-)

Susan August 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

With over 150+ free recipes on this site, there are many, many recipes that do not contain grains of any type. This is a raw food site, not a gluten free site so, I try to put up recipes for everyone. :-) Also, considering the time it takes for recipe creation, writing, photography, etc., I simply do not have time to test recipes that have grains to find substitutions. And since the recipes on this site are free for your use, I would suggest finding the recipes that you can use with your particular diet.

Beth September 28, 2011 at 11:04 pm

For all those without a dehydrator–I make “raw recipes in my oven. I bought an oven thermometer, set it in the oven, turned the oven on to the lowest and propped the door open. It stays at about 110 so all is o.k. –I think that’s still raw isn’t it? Made this pie and my husband (a diabetic) says it’s the best apple pie he’s ever tasted!

Phyllis+ Case October 2, 2011 at 6:09 am

Could you please tell me at what setting, for the 6 hours, for the pie filling? Thank you.

By the way, after trying other websites for raw recipes, and throwing out the results, I am now down to one website, yours!!!!

Thanks, for perfect results every time.

Andrea November 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the great recipe. This pie definitely took some effort to make but was well worth it! It was better than any traditional apple pie I’ve had and everyone I served it to agreed. It kept nicely in the fridge for over a week so we had a lovely raw treat at hand whenever the urge hit. I followed the recipe very closely, only using almond flour in place of the oat flour, and doubling the maple glaze topping. Thanks again!

Nicole January 14, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I just came across your site the other day and I love it! I’m dabbling in raw as much as possible…long-time vegetarian and recently gave up gluten. :) Anyway, I am trying this apple pie tonight as my very first project in the dehydrator (that I have had for over a year now)! I’ve been intimidated, but I’m taking the plunge! Thank you so much for the inspiration. I also bought ingredients to make a few of your other recipes, including the kale salad. I’m addicted to kale! :) Your site, recipes and photography are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing for *free*!! :) <3 Can't wait to read more of your posts!