We have some of the best Asian grocery stores here. I still can’t get over the amount and variety of interesting and exotic produce that they have available every day. If you have not visited your local store…you simply must!
Yesterday, I found some huge Napa Cabbages. They looked so delicious, I had to take two of them home. Now I am delightfully up to my eyeballs in Napa Cabbage.
Napa Cabbage is actually a Chinese cabbage that originated near Beijing. It is widely used in China, Japan and Korea. It has a delicate flavor, which I love and is great in slaws, salads and fermentations. If you are so inclined, it stir-fries well, too.
Napa cabbage is extremely low in calories, but is packed with antioxidants and fiber. It is high in folate and has good levels of vitamin C and K.
I threw together one of my favorite dressings, a raw hot red chili “peanut” dressing that is made with raw almond butter instead of peanut butter. In my quest to reduce the use of oils, I actually substituted fresh ground flax and water for the oil. It worked like a charm. You don’t taste the flax but still get the great mouth feel that the oil would have given.
I also supremed (removed the membrane) the oranges in this recipe. You don’t have to do it but sometimes it is a nice touch. The bottom pictures (above) show you how.
I just love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!!
Asian Slaw with Red Chili “Peanut” Dressing
- 5 cups chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 4 carrots, julienne cut (This is my favorite tool for that: peeler, julienne blade )
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 3 oranges, supremed (or sliced)
1. Toss all ingredients in large bowl.
2. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and stir to coat.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons golden flax, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos, or low sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon grade B pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce (see below)
1. Combine ground flax and water and let stand until softened.
2. Combine flax mixture with all other ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
Raw HOT Chili Garlic Sauce
- 6 ounces hot chilies, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut crystals (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
1. Put all ingredients in food processor and pulse until a coarse texture is achieved. Let stand for 30 minutes to meld flavors. This is HOT so use sparingly.