*Note: Since finding out that Irish Moss can contribute to inflammation, I have re-written this recipe, omitting the Irish Moss.
Banana Cream Pie has long been a favorite of mine. I love how refreshing the bananas and cream are together. I have made quite a few raw “cream” pies but always used coconut oil or butter to give structure to the filling. This time, wanting a lighter version, I used Irish Moss. I am thrilled with the results. I was able to cut back the cashews by 1/2 cup and also eliminate 1/2 cup of coconut oil. The resulting filling is light, refreshing, creamy and delicious. The addition of the salted allspice caramel and pecan crumble put this one over the top.
Banana “Cream” Parfaits with Salted Allspice Caramel
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 /2 teaspoon allspice
1. Place all ingredients in food processor. Pulse until a fine crumb is achieved. Put in bowl and set aside.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (not raw)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened (do not use coconut oil for this)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of Himalayan salt
1. Whisk all ingredients together. Set aside and try not to eat it all. If caramel gets to solid before you are done with the rest, simply warm in the dehydrator or over a bowl of hot water.
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked 8 – 12 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup raw agave syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut water, from young Thai coconut
- 1 cup packed coconut flesh, from young Thai coconut
- 4 medium bananas, sliced (approximately 3 cups)
- juice from one lemon
1. Place all ingredients except bananas and lemon juice in high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. You will need the plunger and a little patience.
2. Slice bananas and toss with lemon juice. Drain.
3. Mix bananas into “cream” mixture.
1. Place a layer of crumble in the bottom of glass. Top with a layer of caramel then a thick layer of banana cream mixture.
2. Repeat, topping with caramel and crumble.
*Makes 4-6 servings