Raw Blueberry Flax Pancakes

by Susan on May 29, 2009

blueberry-pancakes

Sunday mornings have always been a special time for my daughters and I. The luxury of being able to sleep in  and rising to make a big breakfast was the traditional way we celebrated. My girls are now living in Colorado and Sundays seem to beckon to me in a completely different way, but I still find myself craving that day’s  tradition of a special breakfast. With that as my inspiration, I threw together a few things and came up with these yummy blueberry flax pancakes. They do take a couple of hours in the dehydrator so plan ahead just a little.

Blueberry Flax Pancakes

• 1/2 C flax seeds (ground)
  • 1 C flax seeds (not ground)
  • 3 T coconut oil melted
  • 1/4 C agave
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1 C blueberries
  • 1/4 C coconut (unsweetened, dried)

Mix all ingredients. Dehydrate at 145 for one hour, flip and then dehydrate for 30 minutes at 114. Makes 5, 5″ pancakes. These are very filling!!

You may also enjoy:

Banana Pecan Pancakes

Heather May 31, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Whoa, those look amazing! These look sort of like Ani’s Coconut Breakfast Cakes, which are my favorite thing ever. Do you think they would still be good if they weren’t dehydrated? I guess I should just find out for myself. Yum.

Mandee June 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Ooh, they look great and thanks for sharing the recipe!

Joanna Rawvelous June 23, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Wow, these look great! :D

debra August 2, 2009 at 3:05 am

Sure glad I came across your site. I decided to start a raw life. Today was my fist day and
it was easier than I though. I certainly will enjoy coming back to your site. Once can never have to many recipes and yours look and sound so yummy

ABowlOfMush September 8, 2009 at 7:47 am

These look so fantastic! I’m fascinated with 100% raw food dishes!

Beth October 27, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I see you set your dehydratror to 145… I thought you were supposed to keep it below 116 to keep it ‘raw’. I’m just learning so I may have my facts messed up.

Marie December 4, 2009 at 9:40 am

(Comment to Beth)

Hi Beth,

You are actually right about the temp. For it to be considered raw you want to dehydrate things between 115-120 degrees. Some raw foodies say 118 degrees. That of course will take you longer. You could put them in the night before, and they’d be ready in the morning.

Susan December 4, 2009 at 11:37 am

Once again: You can start your dehydration at a higher temp (ie 145) because the food never reaches that temp within the amount of time specified. It does not matter what the air temp is, it is the food temp. Many raw food people, including Gabriel Cousins recommend this technique because it cuts down on the dehydration time and also does a very good job of pulling out the moisture quickly so you don’t have a problem with fermentation. Also, 118 is the highest that I have ever heard and most keep it under 116.

Susan December 4, 2009 at 11:52 am

BTW…if you put this recipe in the night before, it would be leather by morning. :-)

Rennae January 17, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I travel every week and am without a car during my travels, so I am looking for things I can travel with (I do check my bags, so can pack alot of ingredients). These look awesome and very travel “able”. What do you use for your syrup? AND can the foods be warmed slightly to satisfy the need for hot food? IF so, how would this be accomplished?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am determined!!

Susan January 17, 2010 at 6:49 pm

These would have to be refrigerated as you don’t dehydrate them dry. You can warm things but you have to be very careful to not go over 116 degrees if you want to keep it raw. I use maple syrup which isn’t raw but used by many raw food chefs.

Rennae January 17, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Any suggestions for travel”able” recipes?

Leah February 4, 2010 at 8:43 pm

These look yummy! Will they keep for 2-3 days in the fridge?

Susan February 4, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Yes…they keep very well. Enjoy!

Katherine Marion March 10, 2010 at 3:58 am

Your photographic talents are truly a tribute to a one more consciousness-raising concoction that you have so generously shared.

K

Dani March 14, 2010 at 11:05 am

These look simply delectable! I’m gonna go try them out right now (I wonder if I have any blueberries) =^-^=

Razia April 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

A friend who has now been on Raw foods for almost a month sent me your website and wow, wow, wow so full of information. I am just begining to get into Raw foods and have muct to learn regarding this new way of eating – how exciting. Yes for sure I would be looking for easy to make recipes.
The oatmeal cookies look yummy. I do need to purchase a dehydrater – any suggestions – are there different one’s etc. I live in Cape Town – South Africa.
Thanks for an awesome site.

Susan April 8, 2010 at 7:52 am

My favorite is the TSM (see link to the left) but Excalibur makes a good one also that is a little less money. There are articles on the site about dehydrating and dehydrators. http://www.rawmazing.com/articles/raw-food-equipment-questions-dehydrators/

Rebecca June 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

These look great! How many is a serving? Just 1?

amanda July 14, 2010 at 12:42 am

I just made these and couldn’t wait until breakfast to eat them!!! They are fantastic! Thank you for this incredible recipe!!!!!

Liz September 16, 2010 at 10:29 am

I’ve been searching for a raw pancake recipe, and these look really delicious. The only issue I have is that are really high in Fat and Calories, by my calculation one pancake is 446 calories and has 30 grams of fat. Any suggestions on how to lower the calories and fat?

Liz

Susan September 16, 2010 at 10:37 am

Honestly, one pancake is more than enough for a serving. You could make them smaller. I use these as a treat, and it is important to note that the fat is considered to be “good fat”. You could eliminate the pecans.

Liz September 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, those sound like good options. I’ll give it a shot, I am dying for a pancake.

phyllis williams September 18, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I think I did something incorectly because mine are not sticking…did you soak you flak seeds?

Nerissa March 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I still fairly new to raw foods, but I’ve developed a passion for it, and it’s become very important to me to consume food that is “live.” Your website is beautiful and I’ve already tried a few of the recipes. You are doing an amazing thing!

I have one concern, though: In the research I’ve done one shouldn’t heat things over 115 degrees Fahrenheit, however I’ve noticed many of your recipes (like these pancakes) require the dehydrator to be set at a higher temperature than that. Doesn’t that kill the enzymes and destroy the point of “rawness”?

Susan March 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm
Georganne June 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I could find raw whole flax seeds. Can I use all ground?

Georganne June 5, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Woops! That was supposed to read “could NOT” find raw whole flax!

Susan June 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

You can still make them but they will be very different. You might have to adjust the liquid.

C June 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm

What are you using for the syrup?

Susan June 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm

In the photo it is maple syrup.

Carla March 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I just found your site today. It is very informative and your pictures are beautiful. Can you recommend a good food dehydrator that doesn’t cost and arm and a leg. What kind of camera do you use, your photos are gorgeous!

Victoria March 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Susan,
Can I add defrosted frozen blueberries, or they must be fresh?

Susan March 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Sure!

Natalie Parker April 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

In all your recipes, would subbing organic raw honey for the agave be fine? Thanks!

michelle May 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

you can use “raw agave” that’s what we use to sweeten anything from tea to pancakes!

joyce July 21, 2012 at 2:35 am

This is the first recipe of yours that I tried as well as my first use of my new dehydrator. They did not turn out at all like what I see in your photo, even though I followed the recipe precisely! They did not ‘stick’ together since the main ingredient is pretty much just flax seeds. I kept them in for around 4 hours and they still never really got to the point of being coated flax seeds. Tomorrow I’m going to try the banana pecan ones and am hoping for better luck!

Anna July 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I just made these. They turned out perfect and were so easy. Delicious, too! Thank you for the recipe!

Susan July 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Joyce, I am not sure what you did but I have made this recipe dozens of times. There is plenty of moisture in the recipe. These are patties, not a pourable batter.

Rachel August 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I been going back and forth between raw food and processed foods. I do okay when my son is at grandmas but when he comes home I rely on quick fixes. So I gave all my processed foods to family and starting a whole new way of living. Instead of eating just carrots and fruits whole, I saved up enough for a dehydrator and now am ready to show my son the right way to a better living. I want to thank you for your recipes! This is my go to site for recipes!

Susan August 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Rachel…so wonderful to hear!

Sheryl August 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thought you should know this website is using your picture as their own!

Susan August 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thank you for letting me know. I appreciate it!

Rebecca September 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I thought for it to be raw it couldn’t be cooked/dehydrated beyond 118?

Rebecca September 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Oh I’m sorry, as I scan the comments that question has been tackled, sorry to be a nuisance!

Susan September 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Don’t worry…it comes up almost daily!! :-)

Becky November 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

We don’t have a dehydrator and our oven only goes down to 170. Will this temp work for a shorter time period?

Janie December 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

My dehydrator does not have a temperature control. How do I know how long to leave them in it?

Yassir islam December 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Made these this sun morning as i was craving pancakes and they were delicious! Used frozen blueberries and they warmed up just fine. I topped these with yacon syrup. Perfect for a cold dec morning. Thank you for this recipe!

Susan December 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm

There is no way to answer your question. Without knowing the temp, you can not gauge the time. You will have to experiment. Also, I have found that if your dehydrator doesn’t have a temp gauge, it probably is dehydrating at a high temp and your food will not be raw. I would suggest getting an oven thermometer and running a test. Cheers!