Quick: You are traveling, you don’t have any of your own kitchen equipment and someone asks you to bring a raw dessert to dinner. What to do? Raw Brownies! I recently posted a brownie recipe but instead of making the same recipe, I found myself thinking, “What else can I do with this raw recipe?”. The thought of adding a little heat and smoke to the chocolate was irresistible. I was so pleased with how these came out, I thought it was worth sharing with you.
This time around I decided to use walnuts instead of hazelnuts and throw in some ground chipotle powder to get the aforementioned heat and smoke. I rounded it out with cinnamon, an exciting addition of figs that created depth and a chipotle ganache. Gourmet raw brownies, here we come!
Walnuts are a great source of Omega-3′s, heart healthy monounsaturated fats, anti-oxidants to support your immune system and L-arginine, an essential amino acid which promotes healthy blood pressure.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch Himalayan salt
- 2 cups Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dried figs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1. Process the walnuts in the food processor until finely ground.
2. Add cacao, chipotle powder, cinnamon and salt. Pulse until combined.
3. Add figs and dates, 1/4 cup at a time until all ingredients are well combined. Pulse in optional vanilla.
4. Pat into 8 x 8-inch pan.
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Whisk all ingredients together. Pour over top of brownies and chill until set.
2. Cut into 2″ squares.
Makes 16 2 x 2 inch brownies or 32 1 x 1-inch brownies.