Raw Chocolate Mousse

by Susan on February 10, 2009

Chocolate, affectionately called food of the Gods, comes from a tree in the jungle called a cacao tree. Beautiful yellow/green pods hang from the tree’s trunk and branches. When cut open, the edible, fibrous white pulp is sought after by the people native to the area. Embedded in the pulp are dark purple seeds that after being dried and processed, become “chocolate beans”.  When eating a raw food diet and creating raw food recipes, we are not interested in the processed chocolate that has lost many of its nutrients, we are interested in chocolate in it’s raw form, cacao.

Why? Cacao has a high level of antioxidants,and is an excellent source of dietary fiber.  Cacao is known to be one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium, and contains an impressively high iron content. It also has many other essential minerals in significant quantities. Cacao is also a source of serotonin, dopamine and phenylethylamine, which are said to help alleviate depression and increase feelings of well-being. Cacao also contains anandamide which delivers feelings of bliss and B vitamins, which are essential to brain health.

As you enjoy this chocolate mousse, made with cacao and other healthy ingredients, know that you are not only experiencing bliss on your palate, but also are doing your brain, body and attitude a favor.

For more raw food dessert recipes, click here: Raw Food Dessert Recipes

Chocolate Mousse

• 3/4 C Dates soaked until very soft with pits removed
  • 2 avocados
  • 1  C. Almond Milk
  • 1/2 C Almond Butter
  • 3/4 C Cacao Powder
  • 1/2 C Agave

In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and blend or process until smooth. Refrigerate, then enjoy. You will not believe how good this is!

Studentoflife February 10, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for the excellent description. I just learned a bunch! It looks incredible!

Veroniqque February 10, 2009 at 5:56 pm

That looks delicious!

Heather February 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm

That looks too good to be true! I would love to try this one! So easy, too!

Jessie February 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I just made this and it is fantastic! I added some meat from a young coconut and topped with fresh berries–great additions. I’ll definitely make this again.

Aj July 15, 2009 at 4:54 am

Hello there! wow, your website is great, and this recipe looks heavenly! But I must ask… what is almond BUTTER!?!? thanks in advance! :)

Susan July 15, 2009 at 5:23 am

It is like peanut butter, only made from almonds, not peanuts. You can make your own or buy it.

Koko September 15, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Mmm, I bet this is delicious!!

Jessica September 16, 2009 at 4:34 pm

This looks so amazing and simple, which I like! I love the star shapped bowl you put the mousse in. Looks very Christmas-y!

m September 17, 2009 at 7:01 am

This looks amazing and delicious – I’ve never experimented with raw cooking but this really looks like a good starting point. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

bmk September 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I’m looking forward to making this recipe. I forwarded it to my mother-in-law who made it today and gave it rave reviews!

Nadia September 20, 2009 at 1:29 am

I made it, and my non-vegan family loved it.
It’s very rich and delicious!
You are excellent at creating raw recipes, thank you for posting them!

Nahimana September 20, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Delicious with dehydrated apples!! Thanks for the recipe ;]

Vicki September 22, 2009 at 8:30 am

Sounds delicious- do you have th nutritional breakdown?

Susan September 22, 2009 at 10:07 am

You can find recipe analysis tools on line. I did a rough estimate with one of them and it came up with about 210 calories, 12 g Carbs, 18 g fat, 3.5 g protein. A traditional mousse contains twice the calories and fat. Plus the fat would be coming from sources that are not healthy vs. fat that comes from avocados and nuts. This is a rough estimate.

Rosie November 20, 2009 at 8:04 am

AMAZING! Delicious and healthy! Only used 1/4C of Agave Syrup and half cacao and half carob poweder to reduce costs but still turned out delish. mmmmmmm

Mark November 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I just made this! It is so delicious and amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

Paula February 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe and the approximate nutritional breakdown. I just made the mousse this afternoon and I can’t wait to have it tonight (who am I kidding…I licked the spoon after I finished making it, before I even refrigerated it, and it was already amazing)!! just wondering if you could tell me how many servings this recipe
makes and how much a serving is based on your nutritional analysis that you provided? Thank you! I’m now hooked on your blog ad look forward to your next post!

Paula, Philadelphia, PA

Susan February 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

It makes about 4 servings at around 1/3 c each. If you want exact nutrition numbers, you can google, “nutritional analysis” and there are a bunch of places you can enter ingredients and they will give you the numbers.

jen February 16, 2010 at 4:32 am

This sounds good! How do you make the raw Almond Milk and Almond Butter? Do you soak the almonds beforehand? Where I live they don’t have much in the way of raw food products.

Susan February 16, 2010 at 8:05 am

You can find the recipe for almond butter here: http://www.rawmazing.com/recipes/raw-recipe-almond-butter/ and the almond milk instructions here: http://www.rawmazing.com/recipes/raw-food-warm-cacao-with-cinnamon/ You can make the almond milk with out the dates and vanilla, if you wish.

Nicole February 28, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Are you using agave nectar or another form?

Susan February 28, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Agave nectar.

Cynthia298 June 16, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Hi,

I made a similar recipe on Sunday, but made it into a pie with a soaked cashew/almond/date crust (dehydrated after formed inside of a springform pan). Instead of the avocados, I used 1/2 cup of dried Irish Moss. It gave the chocolate mousse a very chocolate taste and a good texture. Irish Moss does not have a particular flavor, but is full of nutrients.
To use Irish Moss, clean it, soak it overnight or longer. It puffs up. When blended with a little water, it becomes a gel and can be used to firm up all mousse type desserts. Coconut flesh and avocados are not needed.

Traci July 11, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I was just wondering if raw cacao contains caffeine? I have been eating a totally raw diet for a little over a month now, and am pretty sure that caffeine is not aloud on a raw foods diet, but see it in many recipes in my raw “cook” books. It’s not going to stop me from trying this delicious chocolate mousse recipe, but I am curious.

Thanks, Traci

Susan July 11, 2010 at 7:34 pm

A typical sample of cacao nibs or cacao beans will yield anywhere from zero caffeine to 1,000 parts per million of caffeine. Cacao also has a ton of health benefits. Some people find cacao stimulating. You will have to experiment to find out if it is for you or not. Cacao is chocolate in it’s raw form.

marilyn October 13, 2010 at 9:09 am

I love this recipe. I did not have almond milk, so I used organic coconut milk. Absolutely beautiful.

debra January 31, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Do you soak the dates in spring water or Almond Milk? thanks, Deb

Susan January 31, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Just in filtered water.

Melissa April 12, 2011 at 12:34 am

There always has to be one in the crowd and unfortunately this time its me :( I was really excited to try this recipe. If you love the taste of dates then this is the recipe for you. Was I in for a surprise. I can honestly say that not one person from my dinner party had more than one bite. I think it was the dates. I’ll try the recipe again once I find something to substitute but aargh dates are not for me :) It looks too delicious to not try again!

Abby May 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Holy yum! Just gave this a whirl (pun intended.. get it?! Food processor, whirling?! Ok, that sucked), and it’s damn rich and damn tasty. I think I licked too much off the spoon. And bowl, and counter,..feeling Mad full. But here’s a tricky dilemma — I live all by my lonesome, and it made more than I alone can get through before I’m sure it starts going bad. Question: what’s your take on freezing the leftovers? Ruined post-defrost? Maybe another ‘whirl’ after? Destined to become raw gelato? Welcome your thoughts!

Chloe July 8, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I have been making this every week! I LOVE it…. for those of you that are sensitive to any sugar, I have been substituting a a mix of 1/2 of apple juice with 3 packets of stevia for the agave portion. It is divine!

Teresa March 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm

WOW, who knew avocados could taste like pudding? I am amazed at how good this is!!!!! I am new to the raw world and thoroughly enjoying your recipes. You are gifted and talented. Thanks.

Carol April 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Oh. My. Goodness!! This recipe is outstanding, Susan! I subbed Chocolate PB2 for the almond butter, and stevia for the agave, just to cut back a little on the fat and calories. My mousse is SO creamy and delicious! My husband is going to love it too. I just know it. Thank you!!! Cheers!

Kimanh May 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi! Just wanted to let you know I made this for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution dinner party that I attended last Saturday. I pre-warned everyone that it didn’t taste like chocolate and everyone LOVED it!

Martina June 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Hi, The recipe is very nice but I was wondering what the texture is supposed to be. Mine is still a bit a nutty, is it supposed to be, or is it meant to be very smooth. I dont own a vitamix or a high power blender which alot of raw food recipes recommend. Thanks Martina

Susan June 5, 2012 at 11:11 pm

It should be very smooth. The right equipment makes a huge difference. Cheers!

Karla July 16, 2012 at 10:03 am

This sounds awesome! Could someone please tell me how much Stevia was used to replace the agave & also was it powder, packets, or liquid?

Linda January 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Hi,
Just came across your website and I have many of your recipes saved already. I’m trying to eat more raw and have been “organic” for a long time now. This mousse looks wonderful. Could you substitute raw cacao nibs for the powder? I definitely think your website will help me on my journey :)

Linda

Susan January 14, 2013 at 6:07 pm

That would not work in this recipe… Cheers!

Julie February 6, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Any suggestions for agave substitutes. Could I use coconut nectar syrup or coconut sugar? If so how much?

Susan February 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm

You can use what ever liquid sweetener you like. You will have to experiment, as I have only made the recipe the way it is posted. Cheers!

Sarah February 12, 2013 at 1:02 am

This was amazing. Going to be a weekly thing for sure in my home. I ran out of almond butter while making it so had to add about 2 Tbsp. of Peanut Butter and whoa…it was REALLY good. Thank you, thank you!

Harlene February 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I was sceptical at first thinking this wasn’t going to be tasty and my goodness me it was sensational! I didn’t have any almond butter so just soaked some almonds with the dates and voila! Also, I pooped this deliciousness on top of raw banana cream pie….you can thank me later.lol!

Harlene February 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

whoa…meant popped!

Susan February 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm

lol!

Freya November 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm

This sounds sooooo good!!!!!!
I am soooooo going to try it!!!

Freya November 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

This sounds sooooooo good!!!!
I am sooooooo going to try this!!!

loquia November 28, 2013 at 9:35 am

that looks so so good !!!!!!!

Louise February 2, 2014 at 4:49 pm

While making these, I was careful to not let anyone see the ingredients in the food processor – who would think that an avocado could make cocoa powder into mousse! But it was so good once it was all blended that I don’t think I’ll ever go back to, or even miss, the standard recipe. Thanks!

Sunshine April 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

This is so delicious. Exactly the same texture as mousse, easy to make, not to mention rich and lush tasting.
Who would’ve known avocado + cocao = bliss?
thank you thank you thank you!