I used to love it when my mom made BLT’s for dinner. My mom was quite the cook and dinner was usually a fully cooked, pretty elaborate meal. Having a sandwich for dinner was not the norm and signified a more relaxed dinner.
I have been wanting to make a raw BLT for quite some time. Having tried many different recipes for a raw bread, I finally came up with one that reminds me of the wheat bread I miss. No, it is not gluten free, as I am using wheat berries and I don’t have a substitution yet. But I will work on it. Eggplant bacon, tomato and a avocado “butter” round out this sandwich. You can certainly substitute plain avocados for the avocado butter if you choose.
Honey Wheat Bread:
- 2 cups wheat berries, sprouted and ground into flour
- 1 cup zucchini puree
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup ground flax
1. To make flour: Soak wheat berries for 24 hours, then rinse 2 x a day until small tails sprout. Dehydrate at 116 degrees until dry. Grind into flour.
2. In food processor, place apple, zucchini puree and honey. Process until a puree is achieved.
3. Mix together flour and ground flax.
4. Stir puree mixture into flour mixture.
5. Spread 1/4 inch thick on non-stick dehydrator sheets. Score mixture into bread sized squares. Dehydrate at 140 degrees for 1 hour, turn down heat and dehydrate at 116 degrees until tops are dry.
6. Flip over, remove non-stick sheet and continue to dry. You want to make sure the bread dries but stays soft so, check and don’t over dehydrate.
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked until soft
- pinch Himalayan salt
- pinch black pepper
- pinch ground chipotle
1. Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well blended.
Eggplant Bacon See Recipe: Eggplant Bacon
- Raw Honey Wheat Bread
- Cashew Butter
- Eggplant Bacon
Layer ingredients on bread to create sandwich!