Raw Food “BLT’s”

by Susan on June 28, 2010

I used to love it when my mom made BLT’s for dinner. My mom was quite the cook and dinner was usually a fully cooked, pretty elaborate meal. Having a sandwich for dinner was not the norm and signified a more relaxed dinner.

I have been wanting to make a raw BLT for quite some time. Having tried many different recipes for a raw bread, I finally came up with one that reminds me of the wheat bread I miss. No, it is not gluten free, as I am using wheat berries and I don’t have a substitution yet. But I will work on it. Eggplant bacon, tomato and a avocado “butter” round out this sandwich. You can certainly substitute plain avocados for the avocado butter if you choose.

Raw “BLT’s”

Honey Wheat Bread:

• 2 cups wheat berries, sprouted and ground into flour
  • 1 cup zucchini puree
  • 1 apple
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 cup ground flax

1. To make flour: Soak wheat berries for 24 hours, then rinse 2 x a day until small tails sprout. Dehydrate at 116 degrees until dry. Grind into flour.
2. In food processor, place apple, zucchini puree and honey. Process until a puree is achieved.
3. Mix together flour and ground flax.
4. Stir puree mixture into flour mixture.
5. Spread 1/4 inch thick on non-stick dehydrator sheets. Score mixture into bread sized squares. Dehydrate at 140 degrees for 1 hour, turn down heat and dehydrate at 116 degrees until tops are dry.
6. Flip over, remove non-stick sheet and continue to dry. You want to make sure the bread dries but stays soft so, check and don’t over dehydrate.

Avocado Butter

• 2 avocados
  • 1/2 cup cashews, soaked until soft
  • pinch Himalayan salt
  • pinch black pepper
  • pinch ground chipotle

1. Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well blended.

Eggplant Bacon See Recipe: Eggplant Bacon

Assembly

• Raw Honey Wheat Bread
  • Cashew Butter
  • Tomato
  • Lettuce
  • Eggplant Bacon

Layer ingredients on bread to create sandwich!

Veggie Girl is Living Rawesome June 28, 2010 at 7:29 am

I think I am having a problem with Gluten. Can you suggest any other grain to be used in this? I know you have probably answered this before, sorry.

Susan June 28, 2010 at 8:43 am

As I mentioned above…I have not had a chance to work this out with a different grain yet. I don’t have much luck sprouting the oats that I have available. They seem to sour as they sprout. But I am working on it.

Sue Burley June 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Can I just confirm that it 2 cups wheat berries before sprouting etc? I always am unsure of this and 2 cups not sprouted seems like a lot. How many dehydrator sheets does this make. Thanks, I am hoping this may be the first raw bread I will like. Haven’t loved all the others I’ve tried so far.

Susan June 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sprout 2 cups and use all of them. Once they sprout and you dehydrate and then grind them into flour, it isn’t as much as you would think.

Holly C June 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

When grinding the wheat berries, do you use a coffee grinder or something else.

Melissa June 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Great recipe! Just as an aside I am under the impression that the gluten problem is resolved by sprouting. I know I have come across that concept several times before, and most recently a video from Raw Food World Episode # 482. Check it out!

Erica June 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Can I use the almond flour that I freeze after making almond milk?
I imagine I would take the ground almond “stuff” out of the freezer, place it in the dehydrator until it is dry and then replace it for the wheat berries. What is the amount of wheatberry flour you end up with after grinding so I can substitute an equivalent amount of almond flour? Thanks!

Susan June 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Holly: I use the vitamix but you can use anything that gives you the consistency of flour. It is a hearty, grainy flour.

Susan June 28, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Melissa, Thanks for the information! I think everyone has different levels of intolerance so I would encourage people to do their own research.

Serenity June 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I have never come across an eggplant bacon recipe that worked for me. do you have one I might try?

Susan June 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Sereinty: There is a link for the eggplant bacon recipe right in the recipe. http://www.rawmazing.com/recipes/red-pepper-poppers/

Pam Cook June 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm

This looks awesome!!

Another super easy (but different textured) option is to simply process the freshly sprouted wheatberries into a dough, shape into “bread” pieces, and dehydrate to desired moistness.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) June 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Lucky for me I made some raw zucchini bread this weekend! Flax instead of wheatberries but it will do! Thanks for the recipe(s).

Amy Oscar June 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I now believe that you can do anything! Eggplant bacon. Amazing. Making this right now. Oh, after I buy some eggplant.

Lois June 28, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Looks like it taste’s refreshing! lite! perfect for summer!

when can I stop by for a bite?

Dot D. June 29, 2010 at 8:48 am

Here’s a little information for y’all. I picked up a book a few weeks back titled, Kitchen Garden Cookbook by Steve Meyerowitz (The Sproutman). In it he explains what sprouts are, are to make sprouts grow and to make bread from various types of sprouts. It is very simple to make and you can do it in your oven at a low temp if you don’t have a dehydrator. It wouldn’t be considered 100% Raw, but certainly Vegetarian and healthy for you. It is also considered gluten free, even if you use wheat berries!! http://www.Sproutman.com. The book costs $14.95.

sarah June 29, 2010 at 11:05 am

Looks amazing! I was thinking about a BLT the other day and trying to come up with something raw vegan.

Raederle Phoenix June 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm

That sounds and looks great. A lot of effort to go through to get something like a BLT though. Then again, it could be a lot of fun. I’ve been working on different fruit puddings, raw brownies, raw fruit balls, raw cake, etc. Trying to come up with treats to make the insane amount of salads I’ve been eating more exciting. Then again, I’ve found all sorts of ways to make salads more fun. I think everyone ought to try going raw for a couple weeks with some supportive friends after attending some raw potlucks just to see how fun food creations can really be. Thanks for this great post!

Erika June 29, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Wow, that really looks amazing. I have an eggplant in the fridge… =)

Ricki June 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm

This looks spectacular. I am SO trying out that eggplant bacon the first chance I get!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie July 1, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I’ve been wanting raw ‘bread’ lately. Maybe I’ll do this! Gotta get that dehydrator out some time!

Elizabeth D. July 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I can’t wait to try these!!
I am going to get my wheat berries soaking right now so tomorrow I can get them a sproutin!
What a beautiful photograph. How do you take such amazing photos??
Peace & Health,
Elizabeth

Diane July 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

You mentioned looking for a gluten-free substitution – I’ve been looking at some of the prepared GF stuff in the health food stores and seeing “sorghum flour” in a lot of them, which surprised me because I actually thought that was another word for wheat, but maybe not. I see a lot of chick pea and tapioca flour, too, in the lists of ingredients. I don’t know if there’s a sproutable, sorghum grain? I personally can’t digest chick pea/garbanzo anything.

diann July 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm

How do you make zucchini puree?

Susan July 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm

You puree it. I normally do this in the food processor. Cut the zucchini into pieces and place in food processor. Process until you have a puree.

Caleb July 22, 2010 at 11:19 am

This looks amazing!! Definitely going to have to try and make this one, especially since my dehydrator is back out of storage! :)

Theresa July 22, 2010 at 9:21 pm

This recipe looks delicious, I do so want to try it.You are so creative!
Should I use the hard or soft wheat to sprout for the bread?

Susan July 22, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I used hard wheat for this as I believe it sprouts better.

Joelle April 28, 2011 at 12:59 am

Oh….I was so hoping someone came up with an alternative to the wheat berries = (

Candice July 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Susan, I bought ground raw wheat berry flour at the healthfood store. How many cups of ground flour should I use? The recipe calls for 2 cups of whole berries but what does that equate to one it is ground? Is it still equal
2 cups of flour or does the dehydrating/grinding process make it less?

Susan August 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Unfortunately, I have only done this recipe as written so, I don’t know how that substitution would go.

Tonya August 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

For those who are wheat intollerant try Kamut or Spelt! Good luck!

Susan August 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Kamut is actually wheat. Just in a different type. It contains gluten. Also, spelt contains gluten.

Tonya August 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I totally understand that. The suggestion was for those who don’t have good luck with wheat. My son was allergic to wheat but could eat items made with spelt or kamut.

Andrea October 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm

This is the first recipe of yours that I tried that Bombed! I’m sure it was something I did, but the bread was totally inedible. I sprouted the wheat berries then dehydrated them and ground them. Maybe I didn’t grind them enough, or maybe I dehydrated them too long, but the bread tasted like I was eating chunks of raw wheat berries (I used hard red). It also tasted kind of sour. Any ideas?

That being said, the eggplant bacon was great!

Susan October 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

If it tasted sour that means that your wheat berries were bad. They may have started fermenting. This bread recipe is a great bread recipe that I have made many times. You also need to watch your dehydration time. Did you grind them fine enough? They should have been like a flour.

Andrea October 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I just took a sprouting workshop and showed them a picture of what the wheat berries looked like when I finished sprouting them…definitely left them too long…it should only take 12 – 36 hours to sprout and I let mine go between two and three days. I now know better…only sprout until tails start to show. I will try this recipe again for sure and let you know how I make out next time!

Approximately how long do you dehydrate the wheat berries before grinding them? I may have overdone this part as well. Thanks.

Susan October 31, 2011 at 6:56 am

Until they are dry. You are making a sprouted flour.

Andrea October 31, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I guess since I’m new to all this, I was looking for an average time. One thing I’ve found is that I think things are dry enough and then, once they out of the dehydrator for a little bit, I realize they probably could have been left in a little longer…next time I’ll just process a few and if I get mush, they need to be in longer and if I get flour, they are perfect.

Susan October 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm

There are many things that affect dehydration time. Humidity, the type of dehydrator you have, etc. It can make hours of difference. It will take at least 4 hours to do this but you can just pull one of the berries out to check if they are dry enough. Just crush it and see if it is dry.

Alina November 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

No salt??

Alina November 7, 2012 at 10:32 am

I meant no salt for the eggplant bacon? Isn’t bacon salty?

Susan November 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

The nama shoyu is plenty salty. You should try the recipe. It is delicious.

Alina November 9, 2012 at 1:55 am

The eggplant bacon recipe does not have any nama shouyu. I did make the recipe, and added salt. It was too sweet for me, and didn’t taste like bacon at all. I ate it for desert and enjoyed it, but I think the amount of paprika and chipotle pepper bothered my stomach…. :(

Susan November 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Alina, you are correct. I was thinking of another recipe. I find that the spices are enough to flavor this. It doesn’t need salt. Please remember, this is an eggplant, it looks like bacon but of course, it isn’t going to taste like it. But in many recipes, like the BLT, it is a wonderfully flavorful replacement.

stephanie November 12, 2012 at 5:39 am

I tried to make the eggplant bacon but even after a couple of days in the dehydrator my “bacon” was more like edible chewy leather . help!!!

Susan November 12, 2012 at 9:43 am

I am guessing that you may have cut the eggplant too thick. Cheers!

Abby January 14, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I have gluten allergy, so what can I use instead of wheat berries?

Susan January 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Please see About Substitutions in the FAQ page. Cheers!

Jen C. January 28, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hi, I just made the bread portion of this recipe and the wheat berries stink like they are fermenting after the were soaking for 2 days. Even after washing/rinsing and dehydrating they still stink. Any ideas? Are they suppose to smell like they’re fermenting? The bread now has a faint taste of the smell too, if that makes sense. Did I do something wrong? I soaked the berries and drained/rinsed them each day for 3 days. Am I missing something? Thanks!