Raw Food Recipe: Banana Pecan Pancakes

by Susan on May 10, 2010

When I was a little girl, every Sunday after church my family would go to breakfast at our local pancake restaurant. I still have those Sunday morning pancake cravings but no desire to eat traditional pancakes. For mother’s day, I decided to make create a raw food recipe for my favorite pancakes, banana pecan! They are amazingly filling, and will satisfy the desire for a special Sunday morning breakfast.

Banana Pecan Pancakes

• 1 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup dried, unsweetened coconut*
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup raw agave nectar or maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter
  • 1 cup sliced bananas
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients together. You might want to get in there with your hands. Shape into pancake sized patties. Place on dehydrator shelf with screen. Dehydrate at 140 for 30 minutes, then 116 for another 30 minutes. These should still be moist.

For more Raw Food Breakfast Recipes click here: Breakfast

Natalie May 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm

yummm!!! this looks soooo good. best flavors… coconut butter, bananas, pecans!?!? decadent. i bet your mom loved these!! i am totally making these asap! thanks for the recipe!

Raw Food Mamas May 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I look forward to your posts every day. You do such a beautiful job. Tomorrow I am going to buy some pecans and try this. Ever make it with stevia?

Susan May 10, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I have not tried with stevia but you certainly could. You will need to adjust the liquid as agave and maple syrup are both liquid.

hihorosie May 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Well those certainly look delectable! Yum! I hope to make these soon.

Leslie May 10, 2010 at 11:09 pm

mmmmm………….I want one of these so badly

jenny (green food diaries) May 11, 2010 at 12:45 am

looks ridiculously good. i’ve been craving pecans in the last while…

helene May 11, 2010 at 9:27 am

if you don’t have a dehydrator yet, can we place this in the oven to cook on low? how long ?
thanks,
helene

Nancee May 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

This is such a great idea, Susan! I actually use most of those same ingredients when I make a cereal using raw oat bran and hot water or nut milks. Now I can leave out the water and nut milks and enjoy these delicious pancakes! YUM! Thank you! ;P

Imani May 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

This sounds/looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. I will give it a go.

Ronn May 11, 2010 at 11:40 am

I posted this question here yesterday, but I don’t see it now. Don’t know if it just disappeared, or if maybe it don’t go through. So I’ll try again.

How big approximately is “pancake size”? Would that be about 5 inches in diameter, or roughly the size of a DVD? If so, how many pancakes will this recipe make? If it makes a lot, and I’m just making some for myself, I might want to cut the ingredients in half for a smaller batch.

Thank you! And my apologies if my other post about this eventually shows up!

Susan May 11, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Sorry…it didn’t come through yesterday. I make them about the size of a CD, and depending on how thick you make them, you should get about 6-8.

Brenda May 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm

This would be an interesting and satisfying alternative to doughy pancakes. Can you tell me the recommended serving size per person? I’m concerned with the level of calories and fat. It seems like something I’d save for more of a decadent desert or special occasion rather than as a substitute for a healthy breakfast. But I think I will definitely try this one at some point. Thanks.

Lisa May 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm

WOW these look amazing….can’t wait to try them…..because I do miss pancakes ;0((

Susan May 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

One pancake is plenty! And I agree…these are a Sunday morning treat for me.

Stacy May 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I am not a huge fan of flax seed and tend to substitute chia in its place. Any thoughts on subbing the chia for the flax?

Thanks,
S

Susan May 11, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Chia? I have no idea…haven’t tried it. If you do, let me know!!

Joanna Rawvelous May 11, 2010 at 2:20 pm

OMGosh! Perfect…

Carla May 12, 2010 at 7:55 am

I can not wait to try these tomorrow morning for breakfast!!

crookedmoonmama May 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Oh yummers. thanks for sharing the recipe!

Pam June 3, 2010 at 6:14 am

I made these and they are SO delish! Just made a couple of changes…used walnuts as I didn’t have any pecans..ugh..lol! and I omitted the water and used 2 medium mashed up banana’s….came out very yummy! Thank you SO much! xoxo

Ronda June 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I made these this morning for my fiance Andre and he gave them a definite “thumbs up!” I look forward to your updates… you have one of the best blogs and the most beautiful recipes. THANK YOU!

Sofia November 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I had this for breakfast today, was delicious I really enjoyed them, after that I had a Yoga session and the combination felt great.
Thanks

Adiel January 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ve just stumbled upon your blog and felt compelled to thank you for posting such incredible recipes. I have to ask, though, regarding this particular one. It sounds delicious, but the directions state it should be dehydrated at 140 degrees–must it then no longer be considered raw?

Susan January 6, 2011 at 7:26 pm

It is the food temperature you need to be worried about, not the air temperature. During the first part of dehydration, the food itself is mostly kicking off moisture and never even gets close to 116. You can read more about this here: http://www.rawmazing.com/articles/raw-food-dehydration-basics/

Adiel January 7, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Stelena March 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

Susan, These pancakes are absolutely amazing!!! Just like I always wanted pancakes to taste. The texture is perfect. And they are so easy and quick to make. Thank You for your ingenuity! Stelena

Patti July 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’m beginning my raw foods journey, and I broke in my new dehydrator with this recipe. Absolutely delicious! I only made half a batch and I’m glad because I could only eat one! I have plenty left for other days. Thank you for a wonderful recipe and a RAWmazing sight. I can’t wait to try some of your other recipes.

shirley September 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh, my goodness.
I miss pancakes and waffles sooooo much.
Thank you for the quick pancake recipe, i didn’t want one that took overnite to make.
They are on right now and my tummy can’t wait much longer.
Thank you so much for calming the pancake monster inside of me.
Shirley

Stephanie October 9, 2011 at 9:55 am

To warm up leftover pancakes, do you simply place them back into the dehydrator?

Cristina October 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

HI there, I saw this question asked earlier.. would it be possible to put these in the oven for a bit at low temp?? We don’t have a dehydrator either.

Susan October 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm

A dehydrator works very differently than an oven. You would have to experiment with it and also know that you will most-likely compromise the raw status.

Francisco November 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Is this still raw, considering that you’re dehydrating at 140 degrees? I don’t know much about raw foods,
but I thought exposing foods to a little over 100 degrees F made them no longer raw…Have you ever dehydrated these pancakes at lower temperatures? If so, how long did it take?

Francisco November 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm

No need to respond to my first post…I just read the answer you posted on Jan 6…thanks!

Brenda May 12, 2012 at 7:40 am

Just tried these last week to share at a raw food demonstration for non-raw young people. They loved them and are still talking about them. Since I only got one small piece of one, I now have a whole batch in the dehydrator just for me! I substituted raw honey for the sweetener.

Brenda May 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

AND, I left half the second batch in the dehydrator for 24 hours and they made a wonderful cookie! I see that this is a good basic recipe that I can add other ingredients to for various flavors of pancakes and/or cookies.

Laurie June 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Thank you again for some inspiration… It’s 9:44pm and I do have all of those ingredients at my fingertips, there is a part of me that wants to jump up and put on my apron, I really want to make them tonight… That is what happens when I check into rawmazing close to bed time… I think I will have to wait patiently and make them Saturday night, for Sunday Brunch!

Stephanie June 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm

These are seriously the best raw pancakes around! They are so good….I could see myself eating these every morning :) Even my 2-year old said “can I have more raw pancakes please?” lol

Raw Lover July 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

This recipts should not be listed as raw, as dehydrated food must be done at no more then 115 to be concidered raw. These look really good and I think I can modify by doing them longer at lower temp. But everyone should know no more then 115 in dehydrator or your cooking the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan July 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Sigh. I have gone over this again and again. These recipes start the dehydration at a higher temperature because in the beginning, the food is only throwing off moisture. The food temperature NEVER gets above 115 degrees. You turn the heat down to finish the dehydration so YES it is raw. Check out the FAQ page and also, you might want to know this is a much healthier way to do RAW dehydration as it takes less time, less bacteria grows, and fermentation doesn’t happen.

Lisa Reynoso July 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm

These look really good. I made the carrot soup yesterday and my husband raved over it, so I think there is hope of incorporatig more raw meals into our diet. We just got a dehydrator and a Vitamix, so I really have no excuses for not experimenting.

However, I have a question about substitutions. My son has a lot of allergies, though flax and banana are not among them. Coconut, however, is. What could I use in place of coconut butter? For that matter, since I don’t actually have any coconut butter, what could I use to make them for the family? I know I could substitute hemp seeds for the nuts (he can only have flax, chia, and hemp–no nuts or other seeds). But I’m not sure about the butter. Would palm oil work?

Lori Reid January 15, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’m making them now……. I just remember that I am out of maple syrup though. I used the agave in the pancakes, but I’m leaving now to get the syrup to drizzle on top!

Rachelle January 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Isn’t it only raw below 118 degrees? This looks delicious, as do many of your other recipes, but I’m pretty sure that this isn’t technically raw.. Lemme know!

Rachelle January 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Sorry, I just realized my question had already been answered. I have another, however. I have a round dehydrator with a hole in the middle (basically donut shaped) that I have used for dehydrating all sorts of fruits and things, but have never tried anything else (like more liquidy substances such as many recipies on here). Do you have any tips or suggestions or just how-to’s? Thanks! Its much appreciated.

Carmen January 31, 2013 at 6:59 pm

So I made these but couldn’t stick around for 30 minutes to switch temps, so I just went with the 114 for about 1.5 hours. As well I tweaked the recipe a little with some spices and man I tell you, these were soooooo good! I had to (as with everything I make RAW) let my friends try and they were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed every bite! I’ve got a new fav!

deha February 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Can you use any thing other than flax?

Susan February 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm

You can try chia seeds but I haven’t so can’t guarantee the outcome.

Em February 28, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hey, can I use anything other than ground flax? I have the flax seed, but I’m guessing the other mentioned is the flax plant? Please let me know. Thank you! Your recipes are delicious!

Em February 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

Just realized my question was already answered. Never mind and sorry!

Susan February 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

The recipe calls for ground flax seeds. I am sorry that wasn’t clear. :-)

cate March 2, 2013 at 5:58 am

I don’t have a dehydrator. Can you use the oven at these low tmperatures to dehydtrate the food?
Thanks Cate