Raw Food Recipe: Cinnamon Raisin “Toast”

by Susan on February 15, 2010

When the sun doesn’t come up until late, and I wake to a house that has a winter chill, my green drink is not enough to satisfy me. I have been working on a raw food recipe for a breakfast “toast” and finally came up with one I love.

This one is made with sunflower seeds, almonds, carrots, apples and is spiked with cinnamon and raisins! My recreation of Cinnamon Raisin Toast. Healthy, hearty and tasty, you will want to be sure to include this in your raw food recipe collection. The hazelnut butter is made the same way as the almond butter. I added 2 T of oil when processing.

Equipment Needed: Food Processor, Blender, Dehydrator

Cinnamon Raisin “Toast” and Hazelnut Butter

• 2 C Almonds
  • 1 C Sunflower Seeds
  • 1 C Ground Flax
  • 1 C Purred Zucchini
  • 2 Carrots
  • 1 Apple
  • 1 C Raisins
  • 4 Dates plus 1/2 C Water
  • 1 t Cinnamon

Place sunflower seeds in food processor and process until finely chopped. Place in Bowl. Place almonds in food processor and finely chop. Place in bowl with sunflower seeds. Add flax and stir to combine. Process carrots and apple in food processor until you get a puree. Add zucchini puree, mix. In blender, blend dates with 1/2 C water until liquefied. You can soak the dates first to soften. Add to carrot and apple mixture, stir. Stir wet ingredients into dry. Mix well. Stir in cinnamon and raisins. Spread 1/4″ thick on non-stick dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 1 hour at 145, reduce heat and continue to dehydrate at 116 for two more hours. Flip mixture onto screen, peel off non-stick sheet and continue to dehydrate for about 4-6 more hours or until dry but not hard. This bread will should be a little soft. Pictured with Hazelnut Butter.

Hazelnut Butter

2 C Hazelnuts

2 T Olive Oil

Process in food processor. Please see Almond Butter Recipe for great pictures and instructions for nut butters.

A-K February 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm

This looks so amazing! I have been pondering trying my hand at more raw “breads” and this looks like just the ticket!

hihorosie February 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Wow, that does look really good and amazing! Must try!

Allyson February 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

This looks incredible! In fact, everything you make looks insanely good. Your photos are superb… every one of them! I am not sure why I haven’t bought a dehydrator yet… but this is the first recipe I’ll be trying when I do. Thank you!

Nathalie Lussier February 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Your recipes always look so delicious Susan. It’s like a little taste of inspiration every time! Yum yum yum! :D

Lauren February 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Wow, this looks amazing!!! Or shall I say “rawmazing!” Hehe, sorry I am so corny! ;)

Raya Belna February 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I love the hazelnut butter idea. Very unique and simple. Thanks for the great recipe!

Sarah February 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm

This looks amazing, I am going to have to try it soon. Every one of your recipes I have tried are fabulous! Thanks!

Robin February 16, 2010 at 11:40 am

Wow, I am so glad I found your blog…awesome! The recipe is on my meal list, can’t wait to try it out!

Yours in Health, Robin

Kikret February 16, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Hi. I’d like some sushi and raw meat recipes too please. Do you have a fabulous beef sashimi recipe with wasabi sauce? Also raw pancetta & raw chicken cutlets, they’re a delicacy in restaurants in Japan. Thank you.

Susan February 16, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Um…this a raw, vegan site?

Sarah February 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Looks great – gonna try asap – do you soak the almonds and sunflower seeds or are you using them straight up?

Susan February 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I soak and dry all my almonds and nuts when I get them. I do not soak the seeds. If wet nuts are needed in a recipe, it will state that. :-)

scherry valentine February 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hi your pictures are beautiful. Really want to try this one, but I don’t want to dehydrate over 105. Can I do this with your recipe here?

Susan February 16, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Yes..you can. But you don’t have to. Enzymes are protected up to 116. Also, I always start higher to get the water out of the food quicker but the food never gets anywhere near that temperature. I will be posting another article on dehydration very soon, you can check the site as there are a few more on the site already.

Alberta February 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Another fantabulous recipe from the deep-freeze capital of the USA,where
anything (even a little bit warm )can keep you beleiving – that the warmth
of the sun is getting closer and closer,as in – just a few short months from now !WOW !

Michal February 16, 2010 at 9:51 pm

These look incredible, as usual! :)

Nancy Zare, WellnessWiz February 17, 2010 at 8:44 am

I make a great banana bread toast that may interest folks. I use a few overly ripe bananas, add carrot/veggie pulp from a juicer (or finely chopped works well; it just needs more dehydration because it’s got more liquid), coconut and chia seeds. Then add cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts. Shape into a loaf and slice. Then dehyrate until it’s like toast or even until it’s like a cookie or cracker. My non raw friends love this.

Julie Lynn February 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

It looks wonderful! I have a question though…anyone reading this can answer…when you are eating all raw and including lots of nuts and seeds in the your day, do you find it more difficult to maintain your weight (as in, not gain)? Having just lost 40 pounds I don’t want to add any weight back to my frame. =)

Susan February 17, 2010 at 2:38 pm

There is a couple of qualifiers. First of all, Everyone is different. Each person has their own biological identity. I could eat exactly the same food as my friend and she could lose and I could gain. We are all different. That being said, I actually lose weight on 100% raw even with the nuts and seeds included. I think they are important to your diet and offer many nutrients. Keep in mind that it isn’t fat that makes you fat, it is processed carbohydrates and sugar. That said, I have heard of people that do gain with the inclusion of nuts and seeds but I have no idea how much they are eating and if what they are eating is balanced with with the appropriate veggies and fruits, or they are extremely heavy on the nuts. I think you have to experiment with your body and find out what works for you.

Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet February 18, 2010 at 9:00 pm

This looks lovely! I love cinnamon toast, and this looks like a fun raw variation.

Mandee February 19, 2010 at 7:47 am

Looks like a delicious way to start the day!

Megan February 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm

What a great concept-this sounds so delicious and flavorful!

joanna rawvelous =) February 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Just made this =D Quick and easy and i had all of the ingredients on hand. I love that! I also am thrilled about the use of carrots and apple to help sweeten it, great idea!

I had a big spoonful left that didn’t fit on my T-sheets, so I plopped it in a bowl with some almond milk and had a yummy snack.

Thank you for all you do!
Joanna

sioux February 21, 2010 at 4:14 am

this looks fantastic! My children are always clamoring for cinnamon raisin toast, and I love having a raw alternative to try out on them. Thanks for sharing! I love your site, and have been lurking for a while ;-)

Kelly February 28, 2010 at 7:48 pm

how long does the cinnamon raisin toast last? should it be kept in the refrigerator? is it possible to freeze it?

Susan February 28, 2010 at 8:21 pm

It has lasted at least two weeks for me, probably could last even longer. I am not sure about the freezing, I haven’t done it yet.

Melinda Kohn March 8, 2010 at 6:47 am

I am new to raw foods – just bought a blendtec – and find your site wonderful. Does this need to be refrigerated? You said you soak your almonds when you get them. Do you then dry them in the oven and then refrigerate till you need them in recipes? You can see I have beginner confusion! Thanks!

Susan March 8, 2010 at 8:01 am

I soak them, normally over night in the fridge and then put them in the dehydrator to dry. More information is here: http://www.rawmazing.com/articles/raw-food-soaking-nuts-and-seeds/

Rebecca June 30, 2010 at 8:55 am

Do you think I could use almond flour instead of processed almonds, or would it be too fine? My sister gave me a big bag of it.

Susan June 30, 2010 at 10:53 am

I think that you would have a completely different outcome. There is a big difference. Not sure how it would work.

Desiree De Vries July 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I tried this one and everyone LOVED it, it’s so delicious! Thanks so much for your amazing recipes and photos. Without the beautiful photos I don’t think I would be as inspired to try them!

Mary August 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Ooohh i’m so pumped to try this out, it looks delich, Thanks a bunch for sharing :)

Eva October 7, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Made this today! EXCELLENT!!!! EASY!!!!

I used dried cranberries and figs rather than raisins….SO GOOD!

I was thinking of topping it with some raw honey for a glaze…not sure how that would work…maybe not…

Thanks again! Can’t wait to share these with my family and friends!

Eva

Mindy Scheer November 9, 2010 at 11:03 am

This recipe is absolutely wonderful – THANK YOU!!

ben January 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

How many sheets does this recipe make?

Also, when in the dehydrating process do you score into pieces?

Thanks.

Susan January 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

You would score before you dehydrate. This recipe does not call for scoring. You can cut them with a knife after they are done. The recipe makes aprox 2 sheets.

ben January 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

Thank you. Just made this toast, but used almond flour (raw) instead. Came out perfect. Thin & crisp, like toast–only much better than any bread in the market.

Barbcam February 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Just made these today and am pleased to have a great little bite to go with my morning green smoothie or with a big salad at lunch. I taste-tested it when they were done with a schmeer of homemade raw ‘nutella’–very nice combo!

Tony Midmore March 10, 2011 at 8:52 pm

It looks great. I have one question. Everything I read warns against breaking flax down, because the oil in it is very fragile and will go rancid. Can you please comment on this? Thank you.

Susan March 11, 2011 at 8:03 am

I always grind the flax for each recipe so it is as fresh as it can be. If you don’t break it down, it is hard to get any nutrients from it. So, keep it whole and refrigerated until you use it.

Tony Midmore March 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

Thank you very much. I will be making this for a raw food potluck tomorrow. All the best.

Ideamoda.com June 10, 2011 at 3:13 am

Many thanks for sharing this recipe!I just ate my first “toast” and the taste is so good!
And I love your photos,they are all beautiful!

Maryam July 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Hi Susan.

Love your website! I’m a newby to raw eating and love your recipes.

I do have a question though, I’m also trying to do a low sugar diet and what do you think I can substitute for the dates?? I love dates but too sweet for me right now.

Thank you.

Olivia October 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I loved this and so did my kids, thanks so much, I love this website.

Andrea October 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Made this last night! Turned out perfect! Brought it to work today and it was a hit with everyone who tried it!

Maddie January 12, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I made these recently and DIED over it! Not only was it pleasant because it made my kitchen smell like apple pie, but because it tastes soooooo good! I had it with almond butter and chopped strawberries with agave on top and I ate it so fast I have to make more soon!

Annie March 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Gave this recipe a try–and it is perfection! Filling without feeling heavy or greasy. Like many of the commentors, I’ve been topping it with apple slices and a drizzle of honey.

Susannah Acworth April 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

What a fab site you have here. And all your rawmazing recipes. I’ve only turned raw in the past four months, and after many false moves and crazy mistakes, am feeling more confident. I love it!
Now my daughters in their forties know their mother in her late sixties is truly wonderful!
Seriously its such fun, and yes so healthy, and your site adds a new dimension, and can’t wait to get ingredients together to make some of your scrummy sounding dishes.
Many thanks.

megan April 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I was just about ready to make this recipe and then I read the instructions… I don’t have a dehydrator, can this be done in the oven on a low temp? If so would you be able to tell me the temps?

thanks

Susan April 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Since this is a raw food site, the recipes are prepared raw. I do not test them in ovens. You are welcome to experiment but I can’t guarantee results. Cheers!

Sandra May 6, 2012 at 10:48 am

I just tried this with raw cashew cheese, yumm!!!! Couldn’t even wait til it was dehydrated properly ;-)

Lisa Griffin June 12, 2012 at 9:40 am

I just made this last night. It is super good! Love it with my green smoothie. Thank you!

Sarah June 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Just finished dehydrating, and they are absolutely wonderful!

Lisja July 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I live in Hawaii and am wondering how long something like this will keep for and the best way to store it.

Randahl July 27, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m going to make this tomorrow and plan on slicing into portion sizes, then stacking most of them in a freezer ziplock after wrapping them in wax paper. I live in Florida, and these have to at least be kept in the fridge.

That’s one of the few downfalls of raw foods: every other living thing (including mold and bacteria) think it’s good food too!

Juanita Young February 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Hi Susan: do you soak the almonds and sunflower seeds??

Love your recipes!!!

Patsy April 11, 2013 at 9:20 am

I am very impressed with this recipe!
I made a small amount of Macademia nut butter and it made the flavor burst.
Then I tried a small bit of mac nut butter with a drop of agave and WHOO HOO! Love in every bite!
I must confess I made a small piece with just butter for my husband and snitched a bite and it was very good too.
Might I say “Well done Susan”!
Patsy

Lucijamv August 22, 2013 at 1:27 am

This looks amazing,I am going to try it in the next few days.
Just wondering what is the best way to store it?
And how long can you store it for?

Taralynn Harmon November 7, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Is there anything I can substitute for almonds !? I am nut free-gluten-dairy free! I know what a booze.