There are tons of raw brownie recipes on the net that are walnut and date based. I have avoided these recipes thinking that they can’t possibly be that good. I like dates, but in small quantities. So a recipe that was pretty much dates and nuts didn’t interest me at all. All of that changed today. I am eating my words and my brownies!
I had quite a large surplus of dates left over from making some nut crusts for the new 2011 Rawmazing Calendar. Thinking now is as good of a time as any create a raw date brownie, hazelnuts were the nuts of choice for me. The thought of a “Nutella” brownie with a splash of cinnamon was an exciting proposition!
I am happy to report that the brownies turned out great. Super easy and quick to make with a wonderful hazelnut-chocolate flavor dusted with just a hint of cinnamon. This recipe will please raw and non-raw alike. They are simply that good!
Raw Hazelnut Chocolate Brownies
- 1 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 cups dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 or more tablespoons of water, if needed
1. In food processor, blend hazelnuts, cacao, coconut and cinnamon until finely ground.
2. Add dates, 1/4 cup at a time, processing after addition until well blended. Add optional vanilla and process until combined.
3. Press mixture in an 8 x 8 pan, top with topping and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Cut into small squares.
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
1. Pulse all in food processor until coarsely chopped.