Raw Meyer Lemon Raspberry Souffle Tart

by Susan on October 4, 2012

When I see Meyer lemons at the market, I always get excited. Why? I think it has something to do with the name. It is romantic. It’s not a lemon, it is a MEYER lemon. Kind of like how “Key Lime” sounds more romantic than “lime”. Thought to be a cross between a lemon and an orange, Meyer lemons are not quite as tart as regular lemons. They have a wonderful deep yellow skin and are actually sweet enough to eat.

The light lemon “souffle” combined with jammy raspberry layer satisfies all of your lemon cravings and makes a great dessert for raw and non-raw alike. It is another one of those recipes that people will not believe is healthy, let alone raw.

I used my favorite 8-inch deep tart pan for this tart. I love the extra deepness plus the beautiful fluted edge that it gives. You can find it here: My favorite 8″ deep tart pan.

Raw Meyer Lemon Raspberry “Souffle” Tart

Crust:

• 2 cups macadamia nuts
  • 4 dates, softened in water and drained
1. Blend macadamia nuts and dates in food processor until finely ground.
2. Pat crust into tart pan with removable bottom.*

Jam Layer:
  • 2 pints raspberries
  • 4 dates
1. Purée raspberries and dates in food processor.
2. Pour over crust and dehydrate  at 115 degrees until raspberry purée has reduced and has a jam like texture.
3. Chill

Lemon Filling:
  • 1 cup meyer lemon juice
  • 2 cups cashews, soaked 6 hours, drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 cup raw, organic agave nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice)
  • 3/4 cup coconut butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 2 teaspoons Meyer lemon zest
  • pinch of turmeric, for color

1. Place all ingredients in high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth.

2. Pour over cooled jam layer and chill at least 6 hours or until set.

*I love my 8″,  deep tart pan for these type of recipes. It is deeper than a regular tart pan and has a pretty edge. You can fine it here: My favorite 8″ deep tart pan.

Mathilda October 5, 2012 at 1:29 am

Fascinating how simple dates + nuts make such a good looking crust °v°

Stella October 5, 2012 at 2:14 am

This sounds so delicious, love it! Is there anything I can use instead of Irish moss? I can’t get that anywhere.

Laura. Reinhardt October 5, 2012 at 4:24 am

This looks absolutely divine & it doesn’t even have any chocolate in it! (I usually only gravitate towards chocolate desserts!) Thank you so much for the recipe:) How long does it usually take in the dehydrator (the jam layer?) Thanks again, Laura

Cora October 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm

How do you do it? You keep coming up with these fantastic recipes….Absolutely beautiful…I have to look for these lemons…Looking forward to your next creation….yum….

georgina October 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Can I leave out the coconut without adversely affecting the texture?

Susan October 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Irish Moss is readily available on-line. I will put a link in the post as to the one I order. You can also order it through the store in Rawmazing. CHeers!

Susan October 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Cora, my mama taught me well! Cheers!

Carrie L Carree October 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for the recipe, I have a Meyer Lemon tree in my front yard and I spend all year looking for recipes to use them in and this one looks to be a keeper!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Stunning! The pie, the raw/vegan filling, the layer of jam. And I have those plates from Anthro too! Well, just 1 and a bowl. I don’t actually eat on mine. I just take pics using it :)

Carol October 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I have never used/seen/heard of Meyer Lemons before. I will for sure be looking for them now!! Wow! I am just salivating looking at the photo, lol. Thank you, Susan!

Michelle Endersby October 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm

The recipe sounds wonderful – we have trouble getting Irish Moss in Australia – could I use chia seeds instead? I have a meyer lemon tree full of lemons at the moment!!

Susan October 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Chia seeds will not work for a substitute for the Irish Moss in this recipe. Cheers!

Sarah (appifanie) October 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm

This looks amazing.

Milena @ Just the Goods October 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh wow, Susan! I’m in food photo heaven! This looks amazing *and* my order of Irish moss recently arrived by mail, so I’m all the closer to making this incredible item! Thank you!

Deidre October 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I have been lurking on your site for some time. Your recipes are amazing. My family has recently adopted a vegan diet as we are trying to be healthy and drop some pounds (me). I know that people are always asking for substitute ingredients…alas..here’s another. I was wondering if you could use agar agar for the gel component…or would the fact that you would have to warm the lemon juice negate the ‘raw’ factor. I have never used irish moss…but it is quite expensive for a family of 6.
thanks for a wonderful website,
Deidre

Susan October 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I will do another lemon tart recipe at some point that will use coconut oil and more cashews. I wanted this one to be lighter. There is a recipe for a lemon custard in the Rawmazing Desserts Book and also here: http://www.rawmazing.com/lemon-glazed-fruit-cloud/ It might work.

Tanya @ Playful and Hungry October 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm

That really looks rawmazing! ;)

Kat October 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Can you use regular lemons in place of rhe Meyer lemons?

Laura October 11, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Kudos! After seeing this recipe, I wanted to make it immediately, but had heard some things about carrageenan/Irish Moss. So…I went researching. I found out the same thing you did and voila! there it was on your website a day later. Bummed that it is not good for you, but glad we now know. Can’t wait to try the revised recipe!

Susan October 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Kat, yes, you can use regular lemons but taste and adjust the sweetness. Cheers!

Susan October 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Laura, I was hoping that the whole form of Irish Moss would be ok but it turned out that it wasn’t the case. After hearing from Dr. Tobacman, one of the leading researchers of Carrageenan that they had tested whole Irish Moss and found problems, with her recommendation not to eat it, I had to take it off the site. Cheers!

Beatrice October 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m happy with your new version of this recipe, but what is the meyers lemon zest (maybe I can’t get it here in Europe)? can I replace it with fresh lemon juice? thanks for the info, b

Susan October 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Zest is made from grating the skin of the lemon. Cheers!

merle October 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

Dear Susan,

I am fairly new to raw, but have heard that using lucuma powder as a thickenerworks well. Don’t knnow how or how much. Maybe with water.

thanks for the recipes,

Merle

Audrey December 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I made it! My first raw dessert ever. So delicious I could weep. Thank you, Susan, for restoring hope that I can do this raw cooking thing.

Gayla D'Gaia December 12, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi Susan, I’d love to know exactly what you did to change the recipe from using Irish Moss to not using it. Did you add more of some kind of ingredient? What is the before and after of the recipe and can you advise on how to substitute irish moss with other things as a general practice? Thanks! Happy 12-12-12!!!

Susan December 12, 2012 at 11:44 am

I completely rewrote the recipe. There isn’t a one size fits all answer for this question. It would depend on the recipe and how the Irish Moss was being used. Cheers!

Anne December 15, 2012 at 7:02 am

Why are people asking about Irish Moss and Chia Seeds when I don’t see them mentioned in the recipe?

Lily December 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Can I use frozen raspberries?

Molly March 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

This may be a dumb question….but how do you get the tart pan into your dehydrator? My dehydrator has the round, stackable trays, and I’m guessing the pan wouldn’t fit inside the trays. What would be your suggestion for me at that step of the recipe? Thanks!

Susan March 13, 2013 at 11:09 am

The TSM and Excalibur dehydrators along with some other ones, have removable shelves and are square. The benefit to these is you can put just about anything in them! For a round one, I would probably use small tart pans and make 4-6 of them. Cheers!

nod March 19, 2013 at 10:34 am

how is ‘Irish moss’ used is in this recipe?
also, how can you make the jam layer if one doesn’t have a dehydrator?
thanks

Susan March 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

Originally this recipe was written using Irish Moss. I have since stopped using it and I rewrote the recipe. If you want to read more about why, see this post: http://www.rawmazing.com/irish-moss-health-concerns/

Susan March 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

SInce this is a raw food site, these recipes have been specifically formulated to be made in a dehydrator to preserve their raw status. I have not tried them in an oven but you are free to experiment using low heat. I can’t provide any further instructions or guarantees since I do not make it that way.

Desri April 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi,
This sounds delicious!

What is te diference between cocnut oil and coconut butter?
I have only ever found one thing in the UK which is coconut oil but when hardened people call it coconut butter – but as you use both I think it must be different?

Many thanks!

Desri

Desri April 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Typos corrected!!!

Hi,
This sounds delicious!

What is the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter?

Many thanks!

Susan April 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm

You can find the answer to that here: http://www.rawmazing.com/faq/

Edwina April 25, 2013 at 12:31 am

Thanks! Just what I’ve been looking for!

Shirleen June 14, 2013 at 11:29 am

How long do you dehydrate the raspberries?

Susan June 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

As long as it takes to get the desired consistency. Dehydration times can vary a lot depending on how much moisture is in the berries, etc.

Lola Luna June 29, 2013 at 10:21 am

I am allergic to nuts, what can I use to replace the cashews?

Lola Luna June 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

I am allergic to all nuts (i cant use the cashews for the crust) what alternative should i use?

Lynn July 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hello there – Wow, your photos and recipes are truly mouth watering and inspiring! I’m making the raw brownies now, with some of my own magic, e.g. leaving out the chipolte (even in NM where I live, it’s too hot for summer brownies for me), using orange extract, fresh dates, etc. So fun! I’d like to make some of your other desserts, but am allergic to coconut oil/butter – what might I substitute please?

Susan July 7, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Lynn, Coconut oil and coconut butter are tough to substitute. It would completely depend on the individual recipe and you would have to make other changes. Cheers!

Zadri September 27, 2013 at 9:40 am

I just came across your delicious Raw Meyer Lemon Souffle here on Pintrest, but after reading the comments below I am a bit perplexed as to what is this Irish Moss everyone keeps talking about. Has this recipe been update? If so, let me know as I am interested in making this dessert. Do you recommend just using fresh raspberries or can frozen ones be used instead? Also, I do not have a dehydrator, could I use the oven instead, and for how long? I look forward to your reply.

Zadri

Susan September 27, 2013 at 10:49 am

I did rework the recipe after finding out some disturbing things about Irish Moss. You can read about it here: http://www.rawmazing.com/irish-moss-health-concerns/

Rachel November 15, 2013 at 1:47 am

Hi looks fantastic, from UK and completely new to the vegan/ raw cooking thing but you have inspired me – is 115 degrees Fahrenheit? Is coconut butter the same as coconut cream? TIA

Susan November 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Fahrenheit. Cheers!

CarlasWrld November 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Well, this looks amazing! Gonna have to try this. Thanks!

Julie December 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Just wondering if other nuts can be used in place of the cashew nuts in the base and, if you can, if you need to alter the soaking time. I would probably be looking at using almonds or brazils as my daughter is allergic to cashew nuts. Thanks!