Oh how I struggled with the title of this post. It isn’t really mock “tuna”. It is a wonderful fruit and veggie salad, with the addition of a nut paté and a wonderful raw, vegan mayo. But that title is a little long. What I did do was base the salad/nut paté on what I remember being my favorite tuna salad as a girl.
I did not include dulse in this recipe so… no fishy taste. What I do remember about the tuna salad that my mom made was that she always added grapes and celery. I have never gotten over that wonderful combination of salty and sweet.
There are tons of raw recipes on-line for Mock Tuna but they tend to be nut patés. I wanted to lighten up the dish, and fill it with a lot of fresh ingredients. Once again, wonderful omega filled walnuts make an appearance along with healthy sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. That becomes the base, and then to lighten it up, a bunch of fun, crunchy veggies, plus those magic grapes come along for the ride!
You will love this recipe for raw, vegan mayo. By using the same seasoning that traditional mayo, this raw recipe makes a mayo that is pretty darn close to the real thing except it is good for your heart, not bad!
You can find butter lettuce with the root ball attached. It lasts much longer in the fridge this way.
Mock Chicken or Tuna Salad the Rawmazing Way
*serves 4 to 6
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water, more if needed to achieve proper texture
- 1 lemon, juice from
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- Freshly ground himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and process, scraping down as necessary, until mixture is smooth.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup mayo (see above)
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 1-2 cups grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1/2 lemon, juice from
- freshly ground Himalayan salt and pepper to taste*