I have been having a craving for oranges lately. Big juicy oranges. Maybe it is because we are actually starting to get hints of spring, or maybe because I just need some citrus. I also was longing for some new and interesting breakfast ideas. It’s been a long winter! I bought a big bag of oranges and put together this raw food recipe for Orange Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding. It’s a hit. Honestly, you could eat it any time of the day but it made a beautiful breakfast for me this morning. I topped this with the granola recipe from Rawmazing Transitional Foods.
Orange Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
- 1/4 cup almonds, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 3 dates, softened with pits removed
- 3 oranges
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- Granola for topping if desired (from Raw Transitions)
1. Place almonds and water in high-speed blender. Process until well blended.
2. Remove to nut milk bag and strain.
3. Place almond milk back in blender with dates. Blend until very smooth.
4. Remove the zest from one orange and add to the almond milk date mixture. Segment the insides of the orange and set aside.
5. Juice the two remaining oranges. Add juice (aproximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup) to the almond milk and zest. Stir.
6. Add chia seeds, stir. Let set for 20 minutes.
7. Stir in orange sections that you set aside.
One of my favorite kitchen tools is the micro plane. It makes zesting a breeze.