Raw Plus

by Susan on October 27, 2010

Yup…those are black beans. And yup, they are COOKED (gasp). What are cooked beans doing on a raw food site? Well, as promised, I am working on some cold weather recipes! It is a perfect day for this in Minnesota. We survived a huge windstorm last night that knocked out power and ushered in cold weather and snow flakes. Which is not unusual for us at this time of year.

Cold weather in Minnesota is really cold. We can go below zero and not come out for days. Combine that with deep drifts of snow, and sometimes, cold, raw food just doesn’t cut it. I find myself migrating to my dehydrator way too much and notice that because I want food with bulk and warmth, I am eating too much dehydrated food and raw foods heavy in fat to try to get what my body craves when it is so cold.

Since I have been having a love affair with raw all summer, cooked food completely loses it’s appeal. It tastes bland, dead, not vibrant. And there is the conundrum. I want vibrant, live food but I also need  warm heavier foods. Then it came to me. Why not develop a bunch of recipes that are mostly fresh, vibrant food, but also incorporates a bit of cooked food that will satisfy. Today, black beans fit the bill and I am excited about the outcome. I get the best of both worlds. The fresh vibrancy of the corn, tomatoes, onions and bok choy, mixed with the cooked beans. BTW, the winner of this week’s contest is announced at the end of the post! Also…would love to hear your thoughts on this type of recipe.

Fresh Veggies with Black Beans

• 3 c cooked black beans (hot from cooking or heating if using pre-cooked)
  • 2 c bok choy
  • 2 c chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 c chopped onion
  • 1 c fresh (not cooked) corn
  • 1/2 lemon, juice from
  • 2 T cilantro
  • 1/2 t. Himalayan salt
  • pepper to taste

1. Cook black beans. I use a pressure cooker. You can also use canned beans but cooking your own is so much better!

2. While beans are cooking, chop bok choy and set aside.

3. Chop onions, and tomatoes. Place in bowl.

4. Add corn to tomatoes and onions. Add lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Stir.

5. When beans are done cooking and still hot, stir in bok choy. Let sit for a couple of minutes and then stir in the tomato mixture.

Serves 6

The winner of the DVD, Food Matters is: KATHY! (kprzednowek) I will be sending you an email soon with instructions on how to get your DVD!

Deanna October 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I’m sure I could never be 100% raw because, as a fellow midwesterner, the winter months are just too cruel and harsh. Love your idea of combining some cooked foods with lots of fresh, though.

Jessica October 27, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Mmm, this looks so yummy AND simple to make! Even us Floridian folk can enjoy a nice warm meal now and then. Below zero is soo foreign to me. It was in the upper 80’s today. Great beach day, but I think someone has forgotten to notify FL that it is almost November, lol. I live for the two months a year of ‘cool’ weather that we get. Thank you for this great recipe. I will be trying it this week! :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I definitely agree with this way of eating, and sometimes you just need something warn and filling!

Rick October 28, 2010 at 7:38 am

Very good call – the data most certainly supports cooked foods being needed in order to live a more disease-free, fulfilling life. I am personally raw 2 meals a day, and cooked for 1 meal a day, at least during the fall/winter, and i feel better on a day-to-day basis than I did when i went 100% raw. Jameth Sheridan of Health Force recently presented some interesting information as well about how more 100% raw vegans go back to eating animal products than “high-raw” vegans who mix in a lot of cooked foods. Seems as though anecdotal evidence plus the scientific studies should be enough, but as always, I say to listen to the body. It will tell you what it wants and how it feels in reaction to anything ingested. :)

Andri October 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

Morning Susan!

I am very excited about this recipe! Woo hoo!!! So, my husband’s first question was – “Can I eat this, still lose weight and not become bloated like I am while eating other cooked foods”?

I guess we have a mindset in our home that I know isn’t necessarily correct that we need to be all raw or nothing raw to lose weight and feel good. I really think though, if I could find that balance of – Ok, I can eat raw for breakfast, lunch and then for dinner have some cooked squash and a salad – we would still be ok…

DO you have thoughts you’d like to share Susan? You’re very right – it’s hard to stay raw in MN when the weather gets so nippy an cold.

Barbcam October 28, 2010 at 9:28 am

THANK YOU for creating a ‘hybrid’ recipe!! I would love to see more of them. I can do high raw for myself but it is a great challenge to also feed a non-raw DH and children. But with more recipes like this, I can be inspired to inch my family along this path!!

diane October 28, 2010 at 9:31 am

I have to eat some cooked foods, also. My body just does not like all raw, especially in winter. We use a lot of sprouted mung beans – they digest very well, for me, anyway, cooked with kombu and wakame, either in a pressure cooker, or just slowly simmered with some long grain wild rice. I can’t do beans the way most people cook them, but mung beans are supposed to be one of the more digestible ones, and soaking and sprouting helps a lot.

Patty October 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

I am glade to see beans being used I love my benas, especially black beans, I have recently cooked garbonza beans and was very pleased. This sounds a lot like a taco salad but with a different green, I can hardly wait to try it.

Mapuana October 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

Aloha, here in Hilo, Hawaii we’re coming into our winter. There’s no snow yet up on Mauna Kea but it’s getting cooler and rains a lot at night. This past week I kept wanting to eat black beans and did what you did. I incorporated lots of raw veggies with the beans. It was delicious and it hit the spot.

Linda MacKnight October 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

For ideas on eating predominantly raw with 10-20% cooked foods check out Halelujah Acres.
They suggest eating a large, nutrionally dense salad first, then adding any cooked foods you like.
I am 100% raw, but my daughter (who has 5 children) is using the Halelujah Acres Philosophy to make the whole family happy :)

Jaclyn October 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

This looks like my daily lunch! Cooked and raw salads are the best of both worlds :)

Yeboah October 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

It looks absolutely wonderful. I am also happy that you incorporated black beans because they are my favorite. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.

In Peace

Caleb October 28, 2010 at 11:45 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of beans, but when I want something warm on my salads, I usually go with tempeh! The rest of the salad ingredients sound great though! Yum!

Catherine October 28, 2010 at 11:52 am

It is good to see you getting such a good response to having some ~God forbid~ cooked ingredient. I love beans and this looks like a wonderful recipe. And let me tell you about cold temperatures! Fairbanks, Alaska, -50 degrees and that’s not even counting the windchill. A gal needs something more then a cold meal to look at. Thank you for being flexible and for all your hard work in keeping us filled, healthy, and satisfied!

Kelly Parr October 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Susan,
PERFECTOooooo! At times when I want a “change up”… I toss in some steamed brown rice in my salads! Hits the spot. :)

Amber Sackett October 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

i am very happy for this! it makes me feel a little less overwhelmed. and black beans are tasty!!!!!

Elle (http://thewaybyelle.blogspot.com/) October 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I know exactly what you mean about cold weather and diet! I really want to start making high carb and fatty foods. : ( Adding some healthy cooked veggies/legumes is a great way to meet this need my body is craving!

jules p October 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

wow…this looks amazing!

Ludia October 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm

What a great idea! As it happens I did something similar today, but I did not occur to me at the time to think of it as a new way of (un)cooking. I made lentil soup and I loaded it with fresh raw veggies, mainly chopped broccolini, zucchini slices, mushrooms. It was interesting as one does not expect crunchy in a soup, but it was good just the same. I think your idea is excellent and I will make it next. Thank you.

bitt October 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I too find adding some beans in my diet has been helpful. It’s good to have different sources of protein.

For the other commenter who asked, I have been adding more cooked food into my diet and I have not gained weight. I’ve lost a little actually. I plan to write more about this on my blog soon.

Lori Gordon October 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love this. I have been adding cooked beans to my raw chili and it helps a lot. Would LOVE recipe ideas for the winter, but this gives me an entire new way to think about some “comfort food” recipes. Looking forward to staying raw AND staying warm!

Eileen October 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Oh, THANK YOU!!!! I started ALL raw back in February due to a diagnosis of cancer. Now I’m coming through the battle but was not looking forward to another cold winter with no warm food. I’m starting to add cooked foods in and really like black beans – as does the rest of my family (not raw).
I’d really enjoy more recipes that are “hybrid”, it’s a compromise we’ve come to and can live with and still LOVE mealtime together as a family.

Denise October 28, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Susan,
Like you I live in the cold – that is Yukon Canada, by Alaska. (was at least -10 C with wind chill yesterday. Yuk)

I am still an adolescent when it comes to ideas for great raw food and lately that has manifested itself in resorting to cooked soups, or blended ones with nuts that I whirr so long in the blender that they are warm.

Another item I’ve found, besides beans, that really bulks and “warms” up a fresh raw combination like yours above is cooked barley. It’s soft with a bit of texture and provides what the cold demands.

Thanks for you post – a great recipe!
Denise

Cathy October 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I am so very glad to see relaxed boundaries! I think it makes for a healthier mental state….if you eat a wee amount it won’t hurt you. I feel by not so rigid it makes it an easier life style not so much a diet!
Bless you!
Cathy

Ginger Bingham October 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I also do not eat 100% raw, but most days do raw until dinner. I also need that warmth in winter, but do believe that any cooked food should be eaten along with raw, so the hybrid combination is just perfect.

Ruth Martin October 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Looks easy – I am looking forward to more “combo” recipes.

Sekhmet October 28, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Hi Susan: This is allright by me! I find that the 80/20 combination works great for me, especially when it gets cold or colder. I live in northern California and it can get quite nippy, at times, and I’m always grateful to have something of substance and warming. Plus, I’m usually always cold and have to dress in layers. Can’t wait to try this recipe! Steamed quinoa would go great with this, too!

Victoria October 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Looks DELISH!! Can’t wait to try it. SLURP!!!

Susan October 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Andri…everyone needs to figure out what works for them, individually. I do know what you mean about feeling bloated, so I would suggest adding things a little at a time so if something doesn’t agree, you can figure it out right away. I don’t think you have to worry about gaining weight just by adding some cooked food.

Mary Charlene October 29, 2010 at 12:49 am

Leave out the corn & it is perfect…(corn has over 70 micotoxins!)

Mary Charlene October 29, 2010 at 12:52 am

Been to Hippocrates in the ’80’s…raw food enthusiast since then…check out China Study & Dr. Sherry Rogers, MD…

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) October 29, 2010 at 1:50 am

Wow, that looks great. I know what you mean about the colder months … I’m in Michigan. Brr!

Judith Hodges October 29, 2010 at 2:00 am

I appreciate your dedication to balance, aesthetic and sense.

janine October 29, 2010 at 5:24 am

yip…this is what I do …..during the day I eat raw and 1 cooked plus lotsa raw for the third meal of the day…..

Susan October 29, 2010 at 7:09 am

So wonderful to see all of the great responses here! It is food for my soul.

Callie October 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

I really enjoy raw websites that include some cooked food every now and again – I believe it’s much more inspirational to those transitioning! Plus, it’s a great way to mix it up every now and again – I actually purchased some organic fingerling potatoes last night and like you, am working on recipes for the colder months. Thanks again for sharing!

Kate Croft October 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

The cold season is here and I too turn to beans to keep me going. Actually, more specifically, I turn to soups. For whatever reason, warm liquidy food is what makes me feel comforted and full and satisfied. And warm.

Carolyn October 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Oh my, I’m surprised you’ve never had this combo before! It’s great for filling up the tummy, and yet provides necessary living nutrition. We’ve been having meals such as this for several years now. Change the taste by adding spices such as cumin or serve with mild chili peppers. We like it with various spring greens mixed with fresh spinach or just the spring greens.

lisbet October 29, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Well it’s fine with me. My body asks for plenty of cooked foods- and plenty of raw foods as well. I just play it by ear. :) And I currently live in TX, where it doesn’t really get cold. My cravings just turn with the seasons.

Ellen October 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Good call, Susan! Sometimes, even on Kauai, we get cold and HUNGRY! Hungry for more than just raw. When my husband hears me same “I’m hungry” with a certain tone in my voice, he knows I am about to go after food that is less than (more than?) raw!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 31, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Looks so fresh and delicious. I believe cooked beans are a great addition to any diet, especially when piled ontop of veggies :)

elizabeth October 31, 2010 at 11:24 pm

When I started eating raw, I too lost too much weight. I added more cook foods as the Halelujah Acres philosophy subscribes to. Since then my weight has stayed the same and I have never felt more alive! Keep up these GREAT recipes Susan!

Laura November 8, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Just made this for lunch today! Hearty but very fresh – it’s a perfect balance :) Thanks again – can’t wait for more recipes like this!!

Julie the Alkaline Sister December 8, 2010 at 11:06 am

80% raw is a great goal. This recipe is great for the Alkaline Lifestyle which is a perfect balance of 80% raw and some lightly steamed veggies that are all alkaline forming and 20% as the acidic balance in raw nuts & seeds, proteins & warmed whole grains & low sugar fruit. It’s easy to maintain this especially with delicious recipes like yours. Thanx for inspiring a nice combination for these winter days.

Kaila January 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

I just found your site and after drooling over all the recipes and pictures for a week or so, I made this. It was my first time preparing (and maybe eating) bok choy. I’m trying to transition us to a predominantly raw diet and this was such a good recipe. We devoured the entire bowl in one sitting. It went together in minutes, It was surprisingly filling, and the flavors went together perfectly.

arnaz February 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thank you so much for the warm food recipes. I’ve just begun eating raw once a week to build up to eating raw for the whole month of May. It’s dead-winter in Toronto and the last thing my body is craving is a cold salad out of the fridge! I do make it through but I do find that I am cold as my body is adjusting to the regimin. This one of the best Raw Food site I have come across and I love the “realness” and honesty of it. You’re not forcing your ideals, your guiding a way of life and I think it’s fabulous! Awesome :)

Zeina February 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Beautiful and tasty looking. I’m drooling just a bit. Is there an 80% Raw book on the way??

Britta March 30, 2011 at 8:24 pm

As long as there aren’t too many cooked recipes on here it is just fine with me! I feel like I can be 90% raw, but when I’m looking for websites for raw, I want to find mostly raw!

I am loving this site, thanks so much for creating it :)

Susan March 30, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Well, so far out of almost 150, there is only one transitional recipe. That is part cooked and part raw. I doubt I will ever do a fully cooked one.

Tonya August 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You can also sprout your beans as follows: Soak, rinse, soak, rinse and continue for 3 days. Then place in a pan and cover with water and bring to a boil. As soon as water boils, turn off the heat and leave covered for 30 minutes. This way they are not “as” cooked and contain more enzymes and nutrition. Not as fast as just cooking or using canned, but, it’s an option.

NINA DOMENICA April 17, 2012 at 5:34 am

In Italia mangiamo molti fagioli, di tutti i tipi e sono buonissimi. Come fare a rinunciarci?????
Brava!!! questa ricetta è straordinaria.
Anche abbinare alle scarole crude, con i fagioli cotti Borlotti, conditi con cipolla di Tropea tritata finemente, sale e pepe qb. con un filino d’olio d’oliva.