Raw Pumpkin Cranberry Ginger Parfaits!

by Susan on October 25, 2011

Raw Pumpkin? YES! It is super healthy (read about pumpkin here: raw pumpkin spice cookies), plentiful at this time of year and tastes great! I have a friend who is very raw food adverse, only because she really hasn’t tried anything. She stopped over as I was making these. I asked her if she wanted to try the raw pumpkin purée. Just the look on her face made me laugh. Her answer was a definite no. I told her to get over it and tast it. The look on her face changed completely. “Wow, this is really good!” she stated with a completely different look on her face. As she polished off one of the parfaits asking for more, I smiled.

I love all of the fall flavors that go with pumpkin. Cinnamon combined with cranberries and pecans make this dessert irresistible. The crowning glory is the layer and topping of ginger “cream”. This is an easy recipe to throw together. You just need to plan ahead to let the ginger  whipped “cream” set up. This is a perfect dessert for your holiday table.

Raw Pumpkin Parfaits with Cranberries and Ginger Whipped “Cream”

Pumpkin Purée

• 1/2 medium pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (you need to use a sugar pumpkin for this)
  • 1/4- 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar or sweetener of choice
1. Place pumpkin, cinnamon and agave in food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse until puréed, adding water as needed. You will have to scrape down the sides of the food processor while processing.

Ginger Whipped “Cream”
  • 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar or liquid sweetener of your choice
1. Place cashews and water in high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Add melted coconut oil, fresh ginger and raw agave. Process until well blended.
3. Transfer to container and chill until set.

Cranberry Layer
  • 1 cup frozen cranberries, thawed
  • 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
1. Place in food processor and process until purée is achieved. I like this layer to be a little chunky.

Pecan Layer
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Place pecans and cinnamon in food processor. Pulse until chopped.

Assembly
1. In parfait glass, place a layer of pecans, topped with a layer of the pumpkin purée, a layer of cranberries then a layer of the ginger whipped “cream”. Repeat topping with more pecans.

For the ultimate raw recipe book, check out Rawmazing Desserts

All images and content ©Rawmmazing 2011. Please feel free to link but note that permission is needed  for any re-posting or use.

Susan Berkson October 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

Yes, it was really good. Now I will place my order for a half dozen.

Kim October 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm

This looks so wonderful! I must try it very soon. I’m thinking I might try it with butternut squash, though, since I have that but don’t have pumpkin.

Lana October 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Beautiful picture! Looks so yummy.
How cool that your friend liked the parfaits!

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} October 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I am *drooling* over here…oh my goodness! And I have just the perfect pumpkin from our CSA…off to soak some nuts :)

Jennifer Minar-Jaynes October 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

OMG, Yum.

Definitely going to try this one, too. =)

margosa October 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm

thank you, thank you, thank you! on to thanksgiving

ute October 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Hi Susan

your recipes are all so beautifully portrait and judging by the ingredients have got to be delicious, is this recipe in your Rawmazing Dessert book ?, if yes then I need to order one , do you have a special deal on your recipe book collections?

Susan October 26, 2011 at 2:27 am

This recipe is brand new and not in the dessert cookbook. But there are many other delicious recipes in there! Occasionally the books go on sale. You can sign up for the newsletter to be notified when that happens.

Shannon October 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

I usually just buy the little pie pumpkins, do you know about how much pumpkin you used, measurements-wise?

Gayle October 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm

These look absolutely beautiful. Will have to try them for either a potluck or tea.

Liz October 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm

this looks beautiful. how many does the recipe serve?

Chris October 26, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh, wow, just amazing!

Ludia October 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm

WOW!!!! I am making this ASAP!

Ludia

PS I will report……

carpeseason | Liz October 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm

That looks rawesome. I love that your pictures are so big….except it makes it harder not to lick the screen.

Lara October 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm

You are so creative and talented, its a visual culinary treat just reading your recipes. I cant wait to try this dessert. With your talent, you should be an executive raw food chef at a top rated restaurant in Paris :-)

Stacy October 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Beautiful!
How many servings does this make?
Do you write servings somewhere in your recipes and I am not seeing them?
Thank you for your help :) Looks scrumptious, going to make these for friends on Wednesday, just need to know about how many this will serve…YUM!

Susan October 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Probably around 6-8, at least.

Sherine Price October 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm

These look wonderful; I can’t wait to try them. I was wondering if it would be possible to make them in a large dish like a pie or cake pan instead of parfait glasses?

Susan October 28, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Sherine, Because of the consistency I wouldn’t sugget that. :-)

GetSkinny GoVegan October 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Wow. These look SO easy and are SO beautiful and what a great combination. I am a big fan of raw pumpkin, squash, etc…..Have made some amazing raw yam/pumpkin pies and once you have had it raw, it’s hard to go back!

Laura-Jane the Rawtarian October 30, 2011 at 6:55 am

Beautiful and perfect for this time of year, Susan.

Eleni October 31, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Susan, as a relatively newcomer to your website and F/B page, I want to congratulate you and thank you for your inspiring and beautiful work, great recipes, and commitment to healthy, raw eating. Also, I appreciate the fact that you are not dogmatic about going only raw.
Regarding this recipe, however, I did want to point out that some people (my husband included) are allergic to raw pumpkin seeds and raw pumpkin (and oftentimes to avocados, too). There are some threads about these allergies on line. So, as a cautionary note to others, when you do make this recipe for a party, make sure you let your guests know. It certainly is festive and perfect for this season.

Susan October 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yes, people have many different allergies. Some are allergic to coconut, many are allergic to different nuts and quite a few are allergic to many other things. I would hope that people with these allergies are careful as to the ingredients in everything they eat.

Norma October 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I can’t wait to try this, it looks so good. I was wondering if I could double the ginger whipped cream?
I would like to use it on my raw pumpkin pie. I miss cool whip and want something better to put on my pie.

Susan October 31, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Norma, yes you can double without a problem. It is really delicious!

Stacy November 1, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Can you make this ahead of time or does the cranberry begin to run? How long/ahead of time do you make this before eating it?
Thanks again! :)

Gena November 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Just did a raw pumpkin parfait myself. Yours is absolutely exquisite! Love the scarlet red mixed in.

Ludia November 5, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I am reporting, as promised ……OMG, this is to die for. I made it a few days ago, and it instantly became my favorite dessert, perfect for this time of the year. Of course, mine did not look anything as beautiful as yours, Susan (how do you get the pumpkin part to be such a vibrant orange?) and I changed it a bit by blending an orange in with the cranberries, and adding nutmeg to the pumpkin puree.

I will bring it to a Thansgiving potluck, but would prefer to cart one dish instead of all the little ones, so am going to experiment by making it in a 7-inch trifle bowl and semi-freezing the layers before adding the next one. I will report on that, too. And, BTW, it does not have a raw uncooked taste, so everybody will enjoy it.

Yumm-o!

Ludia

tamara Kaneen November 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I just made a slightly differnet version of this and the flavor combination was wonderful. I had already made a raw pumkin pie that was divine, made with cashews and sweet potatoe. (easier for me to digest) and the crust was slightly different than yours. I just dis-assembled it to make the layers and my whole family loved it. Inspiring as always, thanks for the post

Jenni November 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Seriously?! These look so good and pumpkin is one of my all-time fav flavors… even close to chocolate! YUM!!

Nancee November 10, 2011 at 3:23 am

These parfaits look and sound delicious! Can’t wait to try them! Mmmmmm.

Kathryn November 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I tried this too, and it paled in comparison to how yours looked. Mine was more a messy trifle. However, I adored the ginger cream, and thought the cranberry jam ace. They kept well and seemed to taste better for a little keeping. Thanks a million for sharing.

You are a gifted food photographer, your images always inspire me.

Ludia November 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I have been making, and eating, these for the last two weeks, they are that good!

But I will not be making it in the trifle dish as I thought I may, for my contribution to a Thanksgiving table tomorrow, as even the small 7-inch trifle dish is still too big. So am making these individually.
Even though I have been practicing, I still don’t manage to make them as beautiful as yours, Susan. But they look good enough, and they taste oh-so-good! Any tricks on how to fill the parfait glasses so evenly and without messing up the sides of the glasses?

Of course, I had to play with the recipe some more, and sometimes I mix coarsely ground cocoa nibs with the chopped nuts for a little crunch and an extra flavor dimension.

Thank you, again, ever so much, Susan. I am ever so thankful and grateful for rawmazing.com!

Ludia

Naraleska November 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Another wonderful recipe!, I most confess I was a bit suspicious at first, but I had all the ingredients at hand and decided to give it a try! wow!! everyone in my house enjoyed it very much, we were all looking for more!! hehehe

Pam November 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm

A clean way to assemble the layers is to put each in a baggie. Cut a bottom corner and squeeze each one at a time; the pumpkin, ginger cream, and cranberry puree to fill the cup at each layer. No messy spoon smearing ingredients inside the glass cups.

Pam November 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm

A clean way to assemble the layers is to put each in a baggie. Cut a bottom corner and squeeze each one at a time; the pumpkin, ginger cream, and cranberry puree to fill the cup at each layer. No spoon smearing ingredients inside the cups.

Sheila September 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

What is a sugar pumpkin? And where can I buy one?

Jaclyn October 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

These are gorgeous!!

Susan October 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thank you!

rikke October 28, 2013 at 4:08 pm

What is a sugar pumkin?

Susan October 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm

It is the type of pumpkin that you want to “cook” with. You can find them this time of year at the store.

sandra November 7, 2013 at 4:24 pm

this looks amazing – so fresh and yummy. I must try it. I even have some pumpkin ready to go!

Marly November 7, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I love this recipe – had to share it on G+!!! Oh, and Pinterest too. That’s just how great it is!!

Bobbie {the vegan crew} November 7, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Oh my goodness, every last thing about these parfaits sounds (and looks!) so dreamy! I think they’d make a fun twist on the traditional Thanksgiving dessert menu — I can’t wait to try ‘em!

Diana November 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

This looks delicious and beautiful – have just started making it, have pureed the pumpkin and added sweetener and spice but I seriously do not like the taste of it – maybe it is british pumpkins, I love it cooked – is there something I could substitute??

Susan November 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm

You REALLY need to use a sugar pumpkin for this recipe. They are sweet and actually are delicious raw. Cheers!

steve December 17, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I thought a pumpkin is a pumpkin. What the heck is a sugar pumpkin?

Brittany December 30, 2013 at 9:06 am

Could you please give me the aproximate measurements of pumpkin for this? I dont wany to mess it up! :) thank you!

Brittany December 30, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm…..delish! I just made yhese and they are amazing!! My husband loved it too!

Heather August 26, 2014 at 11:23 am

Do the cashews need to be raw cashews??

Susan August 26, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hi, Heather, If you want the dish to be raw, you need to use raw cashews. You can find truly raw cashews at Navitas Naturals.