Raw Pumpkin Pie

by Susan on November 22, 2009

Raw Food Recipes: Pumpkin Pie

Fair warning on this one…it is a little time consuming but boy, is it worth it. I have had a couple of “pumpkin” pies that are made with cashews and carrots with pumpkin pie spice. They were good but tasted like carrot pie with cinnamon and nutmeg! Wanting a real pumpkin pie, but knowing that the challenge would be to get the starch taste out of it to make it palatable, I dehydrated it and then, softened it up again! Never going over the 116 degrees, the enzymes, vitamins and minerals are still intact!

Pumpkin is full of carotenoids which are really good at neutralizing free radicals. Pumpkin is also high in lutein, which helps protect your eyes and prevent macular degeneration. Full of antioxidants, pumpkins also have a lot of common nutrients, like iron, zinc, and fiber. Good for you and so good to eat! You will need to start this the day before. Actual time making it is not bad, but you will need to do a little soaking and dehydrating.

Raw Food Recipes: Pumpkin Pie

Raw Pumpkin Pie

Crust:

• 2 C Pecans (previously soaked and dried)
  • 4 Dates (soaked until soft)Put pecans into food processor with dates. Process until well ground. Press into 8″ tart pan

, wrap with plastic wrap or paper towels and place in refrigerator.

Filling:

• 1 Medium Sugar Pumpkin (not the kind you carve for Halloween) About 5 C chopped.
  • 3 C Water (divided)
  • 1/2 C Agave (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
  • 1/4 C Maple Syrup (not raw but used in raw food cooking)
  • 1/2 C Coconut Butter
  • 1/2 C Cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
  • 2 t. Cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. Nutmeg
  • 1/2 t. Ginger
  • 1/4 t. Cloves

The day before you will start preparing the pumpkin. This is important because if you used the pumpkin completely raw, it would have a very unpleasant starchy quality to it. Peel the pumpkin and slice  in half. Slice into 1 inch slices. Chop the slices into pieces that are about 1/8th inch thick. So, the slices will look like a 1″ square that is 1/8″ thick. Place on dehydrator screens and dehydrate at 116 for about 3-4 hours. Make sure you remove them before they are hard!

Place dehydrated pumpkin in a bowl. Cover with 2 C of the water and let sit for about 3 hours. You can do this the night before and just put it in the refrigerator and leave it. Soak the cashews and dates at the same time and you will be ready to rock in the morning!

To make the filling:

In the food processor, place all ingredients except the remaining 1 C water and cashews. Process until it becomes a mash. Add the cashews and process until well mixed. Transfer half the mixture to the vitamix. Add 1/2 C water and blend until smooth. This will require some patience and the plunger but the results are well worth it. Repeat with remaining filling and 1/2 C water. Mix the two batches together then spoon into the crust. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours before serving.

bitt November 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm

looks lovely! i too think those carrot recipes kinda taste carrot-y. thanks for working so hard to get the pie down for us.

curious as to why you say at least 4 hours for the cashews. i don’t find they get much different after 2 hours.

Susan November 23, 2009 at 8:24 am

I a looking for a certain consistency. If you break a cashew open after only 2 hours of soaking, you will see that the water has not reached all of the nut. You can also see: Soaking Nuts

Katiana Noel November 23, 2009 at 10:24 am

I been raw for a year and since i live in nyc i never felt the need to make my own raw dishes. But your recipes have inspired me to make my own raw food. i’m soooo inspired by you and you view towards a raw lifestyle. so much class.

El November 23, 2009 at 10:25 am

I’ve never seen a flourless crust. That’s quite an impressive pie! Happy Thanksgiving!

Pure2Raw Twins November 23, 2009 at 11:57 am

YUMMY> I love pumpkin pie : )

Yaelian November 23, 2009 at 2:23 pm

What a beautiful looking pumpkin pie! I actually did make a raw pumpkin pie some time ago,and used butternut pumpkin.It was ok as raw and did not have to dehydrate it.

mike November 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for this one Susan! I’m going to make the cheesecake AND this pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, so I hope it rocks!

be well-

Mike

celia November 23, 2009 at 4:28 pm

yum, i’m so making this. thank you!

Heather November 23, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I made one very similar to this last year! Looks lovely!

Sue Burley November 24, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Just bought me a sugar pumpkin!! Going to make this tomorrow. Love pumpkin, can’t wait to taste it.

Trish November 25, 2009 at 4:00 am

Those look like some delicious alternatives for Thanksgiving!

Toni G November 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm

We made this wonderful recipe. We dehydrated the finished product to reduce the liquidity even after refrigerating overnight. We will reduce the water added in the final step next time. I must say after the dehydrating it looked “baked”, what a wonderful presentation to all of our “cooked” friends ;). I must mention, the recipe made twice as much pumpkin filling as was needed for one 8″ pie plate. I suggest to either double the crust recipe or 1/2 the pumpkin filling recipe. Taste wonderful! Thank you!

Susan November 28, 2009 at 8:44 am

That certainly could be possible as I used a deep dish pan.

Roy March 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Can you get sick from eating raw punkin pie mix,prior to placing in the oven.

Roy March 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Can you get sick from eating punkin pie mix, prior to placing in the oven.

Susan March 24, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I have no idea about pumpkin pie mix out of the can or other recipes, but this doesn’t have anything to make you sick if you eat it raw. The pumpkin has been through the dehydrator and all of the other ingredients are fine.

Shels August 26, 2010 at 12:23 am

I cannot wait to try this. Is there any substitute for coconut butter? I can’t get my hands on that no matter where I look, and online is so pricey. :/

stephanie October 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm

She has a recipe for you to make your own http://www.rawmazing.com/homemade-coconut-butter/

Karen October 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Love your website. The recipes all look amazing. I made this pie yesterday and although I do not have a vitamix I do have a good food processor. The flavour is awesome but it is still a bit gritty. I was just wondering does the vitamix make it completely smooth?

Eva October 10, 2010 at 7:37 am

Started my pumpkin pie last night, I fell asleep so left the pumpkin in the dehydrator one hour longer than scheduled, but after soaking it’s plump and looks ready to go!

My food processor broke yesterday!!!!! Cr@! – but i have a Breville blender (top of the line 1000 watts) and it acts like a food processor – so I hope I can achieve the same results.

Wish me luck – i will let you know how it turns out!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eva October 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm

So my dinner is over – the pie was not a hit….it was ok, but my guests said it was missing something -I made only half the filing as I did not use a deep dish – and did not want to make 2, but you certainly would get 2 pies with the filling.

It was good, but I could taste the coconut to much, and i did not add extra….it was a little on the sweet side, and did not set as well as I’ld hoped it would – I even added some lecitin granuals…I use that in my raw cheesecakes and it sets really nice….any suggestions as to how to make it taste more like pumpkin pie – i even tried adding more of the spices….maybe i had too many cachews…i did add a the whole 1/2 cup to the recipe and only made half…..

Susan October 10, 2010 at 7:46 pm

When you start changing the ingredients…such as using the whole amount when making half the recipe, it will throw everything off. I have made this many times, as have quite a few other people. I am not sure what to tell you…Mine set up beautifully. It will never have exactly the same consistency of a baked pumpkin pie…

Eva October 11, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Thanks for your reply, you know what….it actually tastes better today! Almost like it needed to sit a day….but next time I will make sure to follow the instructions exactly as I trust your recipes are excellent!

My son topped his with maple syrup and asked for seconds today – so I take that as it did turn out afterall

Thanks again!!!

Nikki October 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Susan- I just made this and it is better than the cooked version! You are a raw culinary genius!! This is the 3rd or 4th of your recipes I’ve tried and they all rock!! Thanks so much!!
P.S. I didn’t need the water to make it turn over or smooth out in the blender… it came out great!

Erica October 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm

What’s the most effective way to remove the skin from a raw pumpkin? Slicing it off, even with an excellent knife, is very time consuming…

Susan October 18, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I use a vegetable peeler.

Erica October 20, 2010 at 11:10 am

This recipe is fabulous! I’ve had other raw pumpkin pies but nothing that tastes close to the tried and true original like this recipe. I used 3-4 dates to sweeten the pie filling instead of agave nectar and made other subtle adjustments to achieve the right consistency. Dehydrating the pumpkin before soaking makes all the difference. Thank so much Susan!

Cliff Champion October 30, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I made a video post showing how to make this recipe! It’s dedicated to you Susan!

AND, I just took it over to a Raw Vegan Halloween Potluck, and it VANISHED within seconds! Rave reviews all around!

ALSO, I made it 100% raw by switching out the 1/4C maple syrup with 1/4C soaked dates! Worked like a charm!!!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Best,

Cliff

Ally November 18, 2010 at 12:46 am

I made this pie and it was sooooo good. Impressed every person I gave it to :). I had no pecans, so I soaked a combo of cashews, almonds and sunflower seeds. I also used raw coconut oil instead of coconut butter. It came out perfect, but for thanksgiving I will definitely be using the ingredients listed in the recipe, just to see! Thanks.

deborah November 19, 2010 at 11:27 am

Can someone tell me If when making the raw pumpkin pie if I add the pumpkin AND the water it is soaking in into the vita mix. I assume so. I see the filling calls for 3 cups and the dehydrated pumpkin is soaked in 2 cups of the water and the final cup is added in 2 stages when blending so I assume I add the pumpkin and its water but can can someone confirm please.

I would also like to dehydrate after I complete it so can someone give me and idea how long would be good?
thanks so much,
deborah

Susan November 19, 2010 at 11:56 am

The pumpkin will absorb the water the soaking water. I would not recommend dehydrating this after you make it. I have no idea what the out come would be.

Cathleen November 26, 2010 at 11:31 am

My Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie was a hit with the Vegans but the Carnivores thought it looked to raw to eat. I always tell people when eating raw; “Don’t think of it as the traditional food but just keep in mind something new because the consistency is different.” It was the most pumpkinny tasking pie I ever ate and was so scrumptious that I ate 2 pieces. It set up nicely but next time I think I’d like to dehydrate the finished product a bit like Tony G said just to absorb some of the liquid and make it look more “cooked”. Thanks Susan
Cathleen

Kate February 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Susan, that pie is so beautiful. What kind of pie plate did you use to get that scalloped effect?

Susan February 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

It is a tart pan. :-)

Paula Noll April 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your technique for this pie! I just poured the filling in the crust and LOVE the taste!!! I’ve been hesitant to try a raw pumpkin pie as I haven’t cared for raw butternut squash recipes and was afraid the taste would be similar. It got me thinking about the butternut squash again–do you think the dehydrating and rehydrating process might also help with butternut squash? I might try a simple soup and dial down the sweeteners and cashews and leave out the coconut butter. Thanks again. Paula

Ruby August 8, 2011 at 11:28 pm

This recipe looks dee-vine! Do you think I can subsitute sweet potato for the pumpkin? I’m more of a sweet potato pie type of gal, and so is my husband. I’m trying to transition to a more raw vegan based diet because I have GERD and am finding a lot of the cooked foods makes my whole GI system feel horrible. I’ve been eating raw for a few days and am not experiencing the symptoms. So this would make my day to be able to make a raw pumpkin pie (or sweet potato?)! Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes.

Susan August 9, 2011 at 7:46 am

You can always try but since I haven’t made it that way, I can’t guarantee results.

Kristine October 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love your pics and the recipe sounds delicious. i had it bookmarked to make later but I then decided it was too much work for me right now. I decided to keep it simple and not to dehydrate the pumpkin and I loved it. I did not think it tasted at all starchy. I had an issue with the dehydrating part because I thought that if I were going to eat a raw pie than I wanted the raw juice from the pumpkin too.

Nice recipe though. I might give it a go in the future to try it out and compare it to the reg. raw pie that I make.

You should be able to sub sweet potato or carrots with no problems. My local raw food restaurant uses these for “pumpkin pie” in the off season.

thanks!

Donovan Taylor Busby District October 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I do not have a dehydrator what should I do

kate November 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm

If the pumpkin preparation is for getting rid of the starchiness, ….where does it go? If you don’t ever rinse it, and use the water that you soaked the pumpkin in, what’s the point? Maybe I am missing something….I let my pumpkin get a wee bit more dehydrated than I would have liked, but I guess soaking it will plump it back up. I’m interested to know what you have to say about the starch and where it goes….thanks, k

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 10:05 am

My understanding is that cashews, because of the way they are extracted from the shell, are not truly raw. Because of this, I never use them. Can you recommend a suitable substitute for this recipe? I really want to try it! Thank you. Jennifer

Susan November 18, 2011 at 10:14 am

Dear Jennifer: Navitis Naturals carries raw cashews. Also, since they are such a minor player in this recipe, only 1/2 cup, unless you are determined to be 100% raw, you will still get tons of raw goodness from this recipe. The cashews are used for texture and there really isn’t another nut that gives that without imparting a ton of it’s own taste. I have not used a twin-gear Green Star juicer. Maybe you can let us know how it worked?

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 10:09 am

I have another question. I don’t have a Vitamix but am guessing I can achieve good results with my twin-gear Green Star juicer. What do you think?

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

Thank you for the prompt reply! I’m going to look for the Navitis Naturals cashews. One more question. Do you think that dehydrating the pumpkin several days before rehydrating it again will be a problem?

Susan November 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

I would not suggest that. You are not dehydrating it to bone dry so some spoilage could occur. :-)

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Ok. Thank you. That’s exactly what I was wondering.

Lynn Lidbury November 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm

With the Pecans – do I soak and then dehydrate?

Lynn

JJ November 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I only have coconut oil and I cannot find coconut butter anywhere. Can I use the coconut oil instead? If not, what can I use?

JJ November 22, 2011 at 10:29 am

Nevermind!!! I just answered my own question after some digging on your website :-) I will make my OWN coconut butter!! Thanks! Can’t WAIT to try this pie!!! Looks RAWMAZING :-)

angela November 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Hi, Susan!
Thanks so much for this recipe! Just a quick question…
Do you measure the chopped pumpkin before or after it’s dehydrated?
Angela

Susan November 23, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hi, Angela, Just as it is written, before dehydration. :-)

Lydia December 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

YUM! This will go great with my raw whipped cream (coconut oil, almond milk, and dates/agave OR coconut milk and dates/agave)!

LeNae November 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

My husband is allergic to coconut. Do you know any alternatives to coconut butter? Thank you!

James Brookins January 4, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Very pleased with the texture which I attribute to the step involving dehydrating the night before. Needed just a bit more sweetner (I used honey). Enough filling for two pies out of the 5 cups. the remaining filling I made pumpkin cookies (use a melon ball scoop), adding almond flour(dehydrated pulp left from almond milk) raisins and nutmeg. Sprinkle coconut and pumpkin seeds. Dehydrate about 6 hours.

Katie June 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Hi, your Pumpkin Pie looks delish! How did you get the formed crust out of the pie pan for the presentation in the photos?

Susan June 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I used a tart pan. :-)

Melissa October 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your beautiful recipes and information,
Could you explain to me how it is that the starch is removed by dehydrating the pumpkin?
I wonder how you found this out, I can’t find any information about it..

Thank you!
Melissa

Susan October 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Hi, Melissa…the starch taste.

Mark Sylvester November 27, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Susan, I did it! I also documented the steps here http://msylvester.tumblr.com/post/68294496595/raw-pumpkin-pie-original-recipe-from-rawmazing. The flavors are stunning and you are right, the difference between this, with real pumpkin and not flavored cashew mash, makes all the difference. The dehydrator trick is one I will use again for other dishes. Awesome.

AR August 29, 2014 at 7:11 pm

About how long did this take you from start to finish?

Susan August 30, 2014 at 12:21 pm

AR…I wish I could tell you. I created this recipe quite a few years ago and I did not time it. Cheers!

stephanie October 12, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Can I use a Vitamix? I do not have a food processor.

Susan October 19, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I would think a vitamix would work. I would be careful about over blending. Cheers!

Stephanie October 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm