Raw Recipe: Almond Butter

by Susan on February 6, 2010

Making nut butters can be a little tricky. I used to think that I had to do them in my Vitamix, which would drive me batty with all the scraping down that was required. Other times, I would have a fail, only because I quit too early. I didn’t realize how much time it takes, and the process that the nuts have to go through. But if you have a little patience, you can make nut butters that are fabulous. You will never want to buy them again!

I used my Kitchen Aid 12 cup food processor. It is a strong processor. The bottom warms up a little bit but if you are using an older processor, or a processor with a much weaker motor, common sense needs to prevail.

Almond Butter
yield 1 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 2 C Almonds
  • 1 T  Raw Honey (optional)
  • 1/2 t Sea Salt (optional)

Place almonds in food processor. Process for 8-12 minutes. You will need to scrape down the sides in the beginning. If you choose to use the honey and salt, stir in by hand after the butter is made as it will seize the mixture if you try to add it before.

*Chef’s Note: If using soaked, dehydrated (dried) almonds, you may need to add a little oil. This recipe requires the use of completely dry almonds.

After 2 minutes it will look like this.

After 4 minutes it will look like this.

After 6 minutes it will look like this.

Around 8 minutes, the almond mixture will ball up. Just let it keep going.

At 10 minutes it has begun to redistribute, but it is not done yet. You want to wait until the oils get released.

At 12 minutes the almonds have released their oil and the butter is ready! If you want to add honey or salt, stir it in by hand.

Cara March 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Ahh, thanks. I was trying to find an easy use for almond pulp left over after making almond milk. I don’t have a dehydrator, so my options are limited.

Sarah March 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I just started.
What’s the ratio for almond butter.
How much will 1 cup of dry almonds make and is it cheaper to make my own almond butter.
Thanks a lot!

Susan March 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm

2 cups of almonds make about 1 cup of almond butter, if I remember correctly. Price? That should be an easy one to figure out…how much do you get your almonds for and how much do you pay for almond butter? In my case it is much cheaper.

rob prejza March 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I am a heart stent patient. Never liked almonds much, (I prefer english walnuts), but now they want me to eat the almonds so the almond butter recipe sounds good. Thank you very much for sharing it! I’ll try it this week. I might even try english walnut butter – you have given me hope! As you might guess, my diet has changed considerably so this will help me ease off the ‘ol peanut butter. Thanks again.

Tara April 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Susan, thank you so very much for the post and pictures…you made it easy for me to stick to the process as long as it took! I ended up with a lovely, creamy butter, using just the raw almonds.

For those with low-watt food processors: Mine is a 300 watt Hamilton Beach, and each step that was pictured took longer. The entire process took just over half an hour with my machine.

Considering that my local Whole Foods charges $8.00 for a 12 ounce jar (cut with sugar AND palm oil), and I buy almonds online for $5.70 per pound (16 ounces), I’m coming out ahead. Thanks again!

Shelby April 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Isn’t soaking almonds (and other nuts) necessary to remove the enzyme inhibitors… or are these broken down by the blending/processing?

I just bought a VitaMix b/c it said u could make nut butters… why doesn’t the vitamix work well?

Susan April 9, 2011 at 11:15 am

I do not believe that the enzymes are broken down through the blending process. Some people soak, some do not. I have included instructions for both way. I soak but if you do you must add more oil.

Shelby April 9, 2011 at 11:21 am

I dont own a dehydrator…. can I soak the almonds without dehydrating them or putting them in the oven?

Chelsea April 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Just made this using my magimix food processor and it turned out amazingly well… despite my fear midway through that the machine was going to overheat. I also had no problem cleaning the machine or any of the other issues that people have had. The process went exactly as your photographs showed. Initially I wasn’t sure how well this would turn out because I’ve attempted to make nut butters before with incredibly lackluster results; however, I’m beginning to realize that is probably because of how terribly impatient I am. Anyway, I will definitely be using this recipe for as long as I’m making my own almond butter. Thanks so much Susan!

(PS: I’ve tried using the food processor and even tried with my vitamix once– learned that day that vitamix blenders are incredibly versatile machines but I personally don’t think it does so great with thick/creamy things. Everything has it’s purpose right?)

meera April 14, 2011 at 10:47 am

You clearly knew where people fail!

I followed your suggestions word to word… and got amazing almond butter!
Needed it for a soba noodle dressing and was very happy with the results. I learnt something from you – perfect teaching!

Heather April 29, 2011 at 10:11 pm

It might be because of the honey and/or how old my processor is. It took a half hour but it finally went thru all of the stages and I cant wait to try it on some fruit from a recipe I have. I have no doubt it will be worth the wait! Hang in there people, it will get there!

Susan April 29, 2011 at 10:22 pm

From the recipe: “If you choose to use the honey and salt, stir in by hand after the butter is made as it will seize the mixture if you try to add it before.” Do not add the honey until you are done with the almond butter. Then stir it in by hand.

Alison May 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Great post. The pictures are really helpful. @Cara: I have a ton of almond pulp left over every time I make almond milk, and I tend to make granola out of it. I mix the pulp with some sort of syrupy sweetener (I use Coconut Secret Coconut Nectar), any dried fruit, nuts, seeds I have around (I always use pumpkin seeds), and some cinnamon and nutmeg. Then, I dehydrate it and break it up into pieces. It’s a little dry and admittedly slightly mealy, but I enjoy it and it is better than throwing away all that pulp!

Alison May 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm

P.S. @Cara (cont’d): If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can bake it around 250 on a middle rack and watch so it crisps up but doesn’t burn.

Leo May 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

After 30 minutes, I hadn’t even reached the balling up stage: http://i56.tinypic.com/2e22ckx.png

My processor is a Kenwood FP730 – a powerful and competent processor…. I used it on setting 1 mainly but cranked it to about 4 or 5 for a few minutes here and there, didn’t seem to make any difference – just hurt my ears.

So sad.

Any ideas?

Susan May 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Is setting 1 the lowest setting? That might be the issue. Other than that, I am not familiar with that food processor. Did you follow the recipe to the letter?

Lynda May 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’m pretty sure if I ran my food processor for 12 minutes non-stop the motor would burn out. That could get expensive.

Susan May 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

I make nut butters with my Kitchenaid all the time. Have not had a problem.

Dave May 10, 2011 at 7:02 am

Susan, like Rob, I was told to find an alternative to my much loved, peanut butter. Tried your recipe tonight minus the salt, easy, everything turned out according to your pictures. Mine took about 20 minutes, you do spend a lot of time scraping the side of the f/p. The finished product was a bit grainy, I smoothed it out with a few drops of olive oil. I could get used to the taste over time. With the support from my friends and doctors, I am now in the eat healthy mode. Thanks.

Claire May 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made some almond butter this afternoon. It turned out perfectly.

Amber May 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Can I make this in a blender or will that not work?

Susan May 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm

A normal blender or a high-speed blender. I think you may have trouble in a normal blender.

yair May 24, 2011 at 11:49 pm

susan, arent you worry about your food processor engine in this recipe?

Susan May 25, 2011 at 6:51 am

No…I did not worry about my food processor. It worked beautifully. But it is also a newer food processor with a large engine.

Greg May 30, 2011 at 8:55 am

I haven’t tried this yet but it looks so easy. I presume youbare using unsoaked almonds for this. Doesn’t the blade get hot after processing for this long?

Susan May 30, 2011 at 8:58 am

In the picture, they are unsoaked, dry almonds. You can also use soaked almonds if you add a little oil (see note in post) and also make sure they are dehydrated dry before you start.

Dianna June 4, 2011 at 10:56 pm

How should the almond butter be stored?

Susan June 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

It is a nut, it has oils and it can go rancid, so I would store it in the refrigerator.

Oz June 6, 2011 at 10:02 am

Wow, this is amazing!
Everything happened precisely as you described, step by step, and now I have sticky yummy almond butter!
Thank you very much.

margaret June 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

did i do something wrong? i have a high powered blender and i kept having to scrape the sides to get the almonds into the blade. it’s taken over an hour and still not ready? I used roasted and salted almonds that I bought from Kroger… any advice?

thanks!

Susan June 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Well, first of all raw almonds were used in this recipe, not roasted and salted almonds. I have never tried to make an almond butter with those. I would think they have a completely different texture and oil content.

Chelsea June 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

That was an adventure. I’ve never made nut butter before but this was quite the schpeel. I read that the wood-like skin inhibits digestion of all those great nutrients, so I blanched them myself (took an hour, all told), lightly toasted them, let them cool, and worked with them in the food processor for a total of maybe 45 minutes, having to scrape down the sides every 30 seconds about 10-15 times after it’d been running for 4 minutes or so. Oh and that’s not including the cool-down breaks needed for the Processor because it was overheating – and cooking the almonds! The effort was… humbling and patience-building(/-forcing) but it tastes great, and was cheap (labor notwithstanding). Thanks for the recipe, it’s perfect.

Susan June 19, 2011 at 6:41 pm

You may need a more powerful food processor. It only takes me about 10-12 minutes.

Jolie June 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! The recipe calls for 2 cups of almonds, but how many cups of almond butter does this recipe make? Also, do you have any of the nutrition facts for this recipe (i.e. calories)?

Jolie June 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! The recipe calls for 2 cups of almonds, but how many cups of almond butter does this recipe make? Also, do you have any of the nutrition facts (i.e. calories) for this recipe?

Susan June 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm

It makes a little over a cup of almond butter. I do not have the nutritional facts but since it only uses one ingredient, it would be pretty easy to figure out. :-) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3085/2

leslie June 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

How big is your food processor? I think it would make a difference with the size/capacity and the amount of almonds/nuts one wants to work with.

I trying out my small one which seems to be working nicely with 1 cup of almonds. It’s an older model yet working out just fine. I’m letting it cool off now for a bit since it’s getting hot. I’m using raw, unpasteurized, organic almonds, and added some walnut oil to help it out a bit.

Years ago I tried this with my larger food processor which holds over 4 cups (it’s an older model from Braun). It ran for hours, and I had to scrape a lot and yielded nothing edible.

Happy for your thoughts — thank you for posing this!

Kate June 29, 2011 at 10:13 am

Is it normal for the butter/food processor bowl to get VERY warm? This worked great, and the pictures made me confident that I could just keep blending until it loosened up! Almond butter is the best, and WAY healthier than peanut butter

Susan June 29, 2011 at 10:20 am

No, it should not get very warm. It does get warm. It will depend on the motor size of your food processor, its ability to process, etc They vary a lot. :-)

Angelie July 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm

My foodprocessor has a smaller glass bowl, which I used. It began smoking and when I picked it up the grip on the bottom dropped right off – the rubber had melted, so now I just ruined the small bowl – hurrrah :( and The almonds weren’t even sticking together yet…

Susan July 7, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I would contact your food processor company.

Venita July 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Well, I tried this and gave up after 45 minutes. I’m certain my almonds were pasteurized and I’d also soaked and dehydrated them. They never got past the slightly-oily-but-mostly-crumbly phase. I’ll try again with some truly raw, organic almonds. In the meantime, I’m improvising and making some cookies. :) They taste amazingly like raw chocolate chip cookie dough (sans the chocolate chips)! So thanks for the inspiration, and I’ll be back once I get the right almonds!

Susan July 12, 2011 at 7:50 pm

It is most likely not your almonds, It is most likely your food processor. How strong is the motor? Also, if you see the note in the recipe, when using soaked and dehydrated almonds, you may need to add a little oil? :-)

Leah July 20, 2011 at 11:00 am

My almond butter came out great. It is absolutely delicious! The honey and salt are a great additional touch. Thanks for the recipe.

Jeannette July 22, 2011 at 10:02 am

This was the most helpful, easy, beautifully pictured recipe ever. It only took me 5 minutes to get to the desired almond buttery consistency. I can’t wait to try your other recipes. Thanks very much for sharing!

Joan July 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

My almond butter turned out delicious. However, it was hard to determine if the oils actually were released enough. I stopped after about 14 minutes in using an old Sunbeam food processor. The consistency is really guey in that it actually coats my teeth and gums more so than store-bought amond butter (a little embarrassing on break at work!) Does this mean that I didn’t process it long enough?

Susan July 23, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Joan…that’s a new one! I would look at the pictures and see if it looked the same as the final shot. As far as coating your teeth…ya got me…

Jinelle August 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Thanks! Perfect recipe. Worked exactly as stated here, step by step :) Thanks!!! 12 minutes, perfect almond butter.

Krystal Lynn August 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Love this. I am using a newer Cuisine Art processor & it does heat the butter up quite a bit in the end – do you think this takes away from the raw effect? I of course didn’t take the temp this time around, it only dawned on me after I stored the butter away, in the refrigerator … I can’t imagine that it heated it up to 115 degrees, though.

Thank you for sharing, I will never buy another jar of nut butter again. I might actually try selling it! ;]

Susan August 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Mine warms up too but never gets anywhere near 115. You can always temp it if you are concerned. :-)

Nevin Cohen August 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Worked exactly as you described. Delicious!

Sh August 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Do you think putting the nuts through a juicer (blank filter) first could help?

Jen August 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Wow, I don’t even have a regular food processor, I used my mini quisenart chopper with a cup of raw almonds….it worked exactly like you said….a little touchy at the end due to the tiny size of my appliance, but I am so happy that I can do this myself in under 15 minutes! Thank you!!

gale August 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Worked just like your said! My food processor is over 18 years old and I hesitated at first. I thought I would try it and if it got too hot, I would just stop and have almond meal to bake with. It’s yummy warm. Thanks!

Maureen September 3, 2011 at 7:14 am

You mentioned in one of the comments that the almonds need to be dehydrated. How did you accomplish that? My processor is an older Cuisinart so I had to let it rest. Just curious, if you add oil, which oil would you use? I was thinking Flaxseed oil.

Renee September 4, 2011 at 12:18 am

awesome! Worked wonderfully. :) I have a large food processor so I found that I had to stop it and scrape the sides down every 30-60 seconds, making it a very labouring process but the holiday fudge made the process ohhh so worth it!! It definitely gave my (new) 900W food processor a workout, when it started to get warm I just switched it off for 30mins and came back to finish it when it cooled down. :)

sjaan September 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

great! it worked fine on a magimix food processor and it was nice to see the steps. (really helpful you posted the pictures, thanks)

i would like to dive into chemistry because there must be something happening in the structure of the almond-cells…something is giving up and then the oil is released… may be i can find it in the bible of mr Mc Gee
:-)

thanks for posting Susan!

Joe September 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for the recipe! How many ounces did the 2 cups of almonds make?

Nikki Kagan September 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I know that Trader Joes in the East Coast has a great almond butter recipe with roasted flaxseeds. This recipe sounds great! I’d like to try adding the flaxseeds too! thanks for sharing!

Stealthcook September 25, 2011 at 5:38 am

I am making this now, and just to be safe, although I have a new 1000watt food processor, I am processing it for a minute and turning off the machine for a minute or so while I am doing other things. My concerns are I am in a 220V country and the machine was expensive, so I want to be extra careful. Good results. Haven’t added sweetener yet – that’s the next step – almond carob balls. Trying to keep sweetener to a minimum as I am preparing this with a diabetic guest in mind.

Stealthcook September 25, 2011 at 5:39 am

Oh I used roasted almonds a just a bit of grape seed oil

Nichole Smith September 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

That was amazing! Thanks for sharing. I just made some for the first time and it worked exactly like you said! Yum :)

MacDaddy46703 October 12, 2011 at 10:50 am

GREAT RECIPE!!! I have made Almond Butter many times even using our Vita Mix. This is the best finished product I have ever made. Thanks for sharing it….

Gracie October 12, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Just made this tonight, YUM! Thanks!

Thom October 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Took me a bit longer because the almonds kept getting pushed to the outside walls. I have a rather large food processor so I had to stop every few seconds to scrape the almonds back down with a rubber spatula so the blades could reach and mix :P

Thanks for the recipe!

Farren October 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Well this is AWESOME! I used a blender (ninja) and it worked pretty well. I did have to scrape down the sides A TON but it was worth it. I added a little oil after a bit and that helped to speed up the process. Thanks for the recipe! BTW, did the coconut butter too, I AM OBSESSED. I eat a few spoonfuls a day. I tried cooking with it but it burned, so wouldn’t suggest that

Farren October 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh one more idea, maybe try making chocolate almond butter!? I might just try that myself.