Raw Recipe: Almond Butter

by Susan on February 6, 2010

Making nut butters can be a little tricky. I used to think that I had to do them in my Vitamix, which would drive me batty with all the scraping down that was required. Other times, I would have a fail, only because I quit too early. I didn’t realize how much time it takes, and the process that the nuts have to go through. But if you have a little patience, you can make nut butters that are fabulous. You will never want to buy them again!

I used my Kitchen Aid 12 cup food processor. It is a strong processor. The bottom warms up a little bit but if you are using an older processor, or a processor with a much weaker motor, common sense needs to prevail.

Almond Butter
yield 1 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 2 C Almonds
  • 1 T  Raw Honey (optional)
  • 1/2 t Sea Salt (optional)

Place almonds in food processor. Process for 8-12 minutes. You will need to scrape down the sides in the beginning. If you choose to use the honey and salt, stir in by hand after the butter is made as it will seize the mixture if you try to add it before.

*Chef’s Note: If using soaked, dehydrated (dried) almonds, you may need to add a little oil. This recipe requires the use of completely dry almonds.

After 2 minutes it will look like this.

After 4 minutes it will look like this.

After 6 minutes it will look like this.

Around 8 minutes, the almond mixture will ball up. Just let it keep going.

At 10 minutes it has begun to redistribute, but it is not done yet. You want to wait until the oils get released.

At 12 minutes the almonds have released their oil and the butter is ready! If you want to add honey or salt, stir it in by hand.

Lisa May 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Susan for providing the pictures! I make my own peanut butter frequently and that process is so fast that I probably would have scrapped the almond butter if I didn’t know how long it would take. I made a batch this morning and it was delish! Kind of a mild marzipan aftertaste….yummy.

Michelle May 14, 2012 at 7:53 pm

What kind of magical food processor do you guys have? I’ve been processing for an hour now and it’s not even to the ball part yet. Should I try my blender instead??

Susan May 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

If you have been processing for an hour, your processor doesn’t have the strength to do this recipe. I use a Kitchenaid. :-)

Marie-France May 16, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, finally a raw almond butter recipe to my taste. The pictures are very helpful. My machine did stop as it overheated, nontheless the result is perfect!

Thank you!

Rita May 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thank you kindly for sharing! Most recipes call for the addition of oil and that simple did not make a bit of sense. Your directions and pictures were excellent and the butter was perfect. Heartfelt gratitude and God bless.

Amanda June 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

I tried it in my Blend-tec. It stayed all chunky and I broke a spatula because it was so stiff. I found your site then dumped it from the blender to the food processor. It turned into butter almost instantly! Thanks, you saved my day! :D Blend-tec good for blending i-phones. Not good for almond butter. ;)

Marcus June 7, 2012 at 4:11 am

I am interested in trying this with a food processor. I used to always buy Costco’s MaraNatha almond butter until after purchasing it three times in a row it was rancid. Costco accepted the return, but they’ve kept the rancid product on the shelf still, and MaraNatha does not respond to e-mail. What a horrible experience after I bought their product weekly for years.

Anyhow, I tried making raw almond butter in my Blendtec as a substitute, and the Blendtec overheated and shut down. I eventually had to give in and add Canola oil, which I didn’t want to. The result was not what I would call almond butter. It was more like almond meal that was held together with the canola oil. The problem with the Blendtec is that anytime something gets thick, whether nut butter or something cold, the blades just spin in the air not hitting anything because of an air pocket, or the mixture is just too thick and the product doesn’t get moved around easily and the machine overheats. I was very disappointed with the machine after all of the advertisements showing it could destroy rakes and as the above poster said iPhones.

I’ve ended up using my Blendtec mostly for making Yum sauce and salad dressings. It fails as well with trying to make frozen sorbets (it can’t deal with frozen strawberries).

Now I’m wondering if I should have gotten a food processor instead. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I don’t think I like my Blendtec and I wanted to like it so badly . . .

Janice June 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I was wondering, after you have made this, what can almond butter be used for? or with?

Susan June 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm

You would use it in recipes or as you would use peanut butter. Cheers!

Jessica June 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Susan! mahalo for all of the fabulous recipes…. is there a benefit to using soaked/dehydrated vs. non soaked almonds for the butter?? I am making some now and definitely have found that I needed to add some oil as the “ball” just wasn’t forming?? is this what I should have expected?

Susan June 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

You would use soaked/dehydrated nuts if you are being careful to release the enzyme inhibitors. You can read more here: http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-food-soaking-nuts-and-seeds/ . As stated above, if you do use the dehydrated nuts, you may need to use some oils the nuts lose some when soaking and dehydrating. Cheers!

SM June 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Just tried it and it worked great, thank you!!

Sissi June 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

I just wanted to say that my greenstar juicer has a nut butter feature and it’s fantastic.
When I am pressed for time I whip up a really small batch in my magic bullet, which works much better than I expected.

Rich June 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Tried this and failed. Used just nuts, no extras, and ran a food processor for more than 30 minutes; never got a ball, just liquid. Could it be because the almonds were rancid (I didn’t eat one out of the batch I used)?
Should you use raw rather than roasted nuts? Should they be skinned?

Susan June 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

This recipe calls for raw almonds. I have never tried it with roasted.

Lynda July 3, 2012 at 10:05 am

I have made almond butter before with great success but my last attempt did not turn out well. I think the almonds used were stale and therefore did not release enough oil to make butter. It is important to buy fresh, good quality almonds for this. Makes a huge difference in the taste and texture of the end product.

Cara Michelle July 7, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I am soaking and dehydrating my raw almonds to release the phytic acid. Does Susan or anyone have wisdom about what kind of oil works best to help it all reconstitute? I would like to use coconut oil and wonder if there is any known reason not to. Thanks! Cara.

Susan July 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

If you are soaking nuts for this recipe, it is imperative that they are completely dry before you start to make it or it won’t work. You can add oil towards the end if it needs it. Coconut oil may not work because it solidifies and will change the texture considerably.

Leslie Genchi July 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hi! Love your website! I always soak and dehydrate my nuts prior, to soak of the acid and enzyme inhibitors. Its very important for me because I don’t process nuts well. I attempted this recipe and noticed that with “crispy nuts” it required additional oil, I added coconut oil and a few dates and that really turned out amazing! I was curious, in your other recipes…Do you practice soaking and dehydrating the nuts for better absorption and digestion? I am thinking most of your recipes may need modification if not for my use, but I am looking forward to tinkering! Thanks!

Susan July 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm

If you read above…I do state that if you soak nuts and dehydrate the almonds, you may need to add oil. This is the only recipe on the site that has a requirement like that because of the process to make almond butter. If you read a lot more of the site…you will see that I almost always presoak nuts. It is also specified if they need to be dry for the recipe or still wet which is important. You shouldn’t need to tweak any of the recipes. Instructions will always be very clear. Cheers!

Marcela July 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for this recipe. It’s exactly what I did with peanuts to make peanut butter :) How long will it stay good for?

Susan July 17, 2012 at 10:52 am

A couple of weeks, at least. If you make sure the container you put it in is steril. If there is any bacteria present, the shelve life will diminish. I do store mine in the refrigerator because there are oils in it.

em July 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm

can i make almond butter w/ soaked nondehydrated almonds?

don’t have a dehydrator.

Thanks so much like the photos in stages very helpful!

Em

Joey July 25, 2012 at 11:49 am

I read your recipe, and I am very excited to try it. I have been searching for store bought almond butter using soaked or blanched almonds (because of easier digestion) with no luck. Will this recipe work using a Vitamix or does it heat up too much? Thank you for your time!

sabina August 8, 2012 at 5:18 am

I read the recipe,but is there actully butter in it,i read almond,honey (optional)salt(optional)also could you use the packets of ground almonds instead.
Love to make this but not sure of the ingredients.

Thanks

Susan August 8, 2012 at 10:25 am

No, there isn’t any butter in the recipe. You are making almond butter out of almonds. Like you make peanut butter out of peanuts. I don’t know how packets of ground almonds would work but you could try. Cheers!

Joey August 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

In your recipe, you say that you used to use a Vitamix, but you did not like all of the scraping. Will a Vitamix work if that is all that I have?
Joey

bob90 August 14, 2012 at 6:24 am

Thank you for your thorough explanation. It makes it possible for a novice to make almond butter.

Kelly August 23, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Followed your recipe exactly and it turned out perfect! I used an old Black & Decker food processor and it handled it with ease. I had tried it once before in a Vitamix and it didn’t turn out so well – not to mention it was messy to clean up (easy clean up with the food processor)! .

So thank you!! I will never spend 16+ dollars buying raw almond butter again. :D

Susan October 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm

It will keep for as long as normal fresh almond butter keeps. I do refrigerate it. Cheers!

elizabeth shipley September 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

Could you do the same with sesame seeds for making tahini?
Thanks
Betsy Shipley

Susan September 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

No, Tahini requires the addition of oil (and some water in some recipes) in specific quantities. It is a completely different recipe. Cheers!

Andre September 9, 2012 at 6:43 am

Dear Susan

Iam about to buy a processor to make my own almond butter as i dont find it here in Brazil? WJay model of Kitchenaid do you there? i want to seach on the net to find something here that works. is it 450W, 700W or more? Thanks !!

Andre September 9, 2012 at 6:44 am

Susan September 9, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I use the 12 cup KitchenAid food processor. Cheers!

Teresa September 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Just FYI, I use my Champion Juicer fitted with the blank rectangular plate for making almond butter. I add a couple tablespoons of olive oil for smoothness as I’m processing. It involves more cleanup than the food processor, but only takes about three minutes of processing and doesn’t overheat the appliance. Yummy!

Susan September 16, 2012 at 12:06 am

The Champion Juicer makes very nice nut-butters. Unfortunately, many people do not own one. Cheers!

Carol C September 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Oh my goodness this is the yummiest butter! I have an older model Black & Decker PowerPro processor, but it handled the process very well. Thank you for the photos and the encouragement to keep going. This will make a wonderful gift at any time of the year :-)

Susan September 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Carol…glad you had success! I love making it this way, too. Cheers!

michael rowland September 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm

i am in england and a little unsure of exactly the reason for wanting to produce the nut butter. Does it have improved nutritional status than simple almonds. Maybe simple almonds are too simple for you, but i enjoy them and by chewing them thoroughly the saliva in my mouth produces the chemicals to help my stomach digest them.

Susan September 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Michael, because we like it. Cheers!

mandy September 30, 2012 at 5:14 am

Thank you for the recipe. It is so hard to buy almond butter here in england so I thought I would try making my own. Welll one word DELICIOUS…. I’ve started to make almond mik too. Thank you once again x

Nat October 7, 2012 at 12:25 am

Do you think I could use this same process to make a butter with pecans instead of almonds? And if so should I still do 8-12 minutes? Thanks

Kaylene October 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for this great recipe. I made it in my Thermomix which took about half the time. Initially I ran it on 6-7 to grind the almonds and after about 2 minutes turned it down to about 4-5 to finish it off. I found that the butter was nice and runny and smooth before I added the salt and honey then it became thicker and clumped together after adding the salt and honey – is that how it is or should I keep blending until it becomes smooth again?

Susan October 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

In the recipe, I suggest if you want to add honey, you should do so by hand because it can sieze if you add it in the food processor. I am guessing yours seized.

Barbara October 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hey Susan,
Great post. I’ve finally decided to do this..now that I’ have some really raw almonds..I have the same food processor and it got really really hot and I had to stop. Did you soak, sprout and dehydrate your almonds before making the almond butter? I did..and my consistency is quite dry and mealy..it never got creamy…am wondering if you all are soaking the nuts first or if that ruins the process? Thanks for a great post.

Susan October 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

As stated in the recipe, if you soak and dehydrate your almonds before hand, you may need to add oil. Cheers!

Angel October 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love almonds. I am interested in other ways to use almonds. I have a few questions:
What is the proper way to store the almond butter? pantry, refrigerator, or both?
How long will it last once stored?
What other ways can you use this almond butter?

Brittney October 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Anyone know how long this keeps for? Should it be refrigerated?

Robyn November 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Thank you so much I have bought raw almond butter in the past but this is so amazingly good and simple, I did not add honey or salt and it was awesome.

Karrie December 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

I used soaked and dried almonds and added oil as suggested and this just didn’t work. It never creamed up. It’s been almost a half hour. I’m so bummed. My food processor isn’t old either. :(

Susan December 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

As stated in the recipe, if you use soaked, dried almonds, you might have to add a little oil. :-)

Diana December 31, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi, there! Great recipe. I’ve seen other recipes for homemade butter but none mentioned the time factor as being critical – nor did any of them have such nice pictures! The art in the pictures alone is priceless, thank you!

Just out of curiousity, I’m concerned for my food processor. It’s on the old side and I don’t want to burn it out. Will this work if you stop for a few minutes and resume, _accumulating_ the time, as it were rather than running fairly continuously? I believe if I could stop the machine every couple of minutes to let it cool down for a couple of minutes, that my machine might manage to make the butter. Not sure I can run it rather continuously for the entire 10-12 minutes with only stops of a few seconds to try to help keep the heat build-up in the machine down.

Have you ever successfully made this breaking up the processing time? Thanks!

nouna January 4, 2013 at 6:45 am

so you prefer using your kitchen aid processor enstead of the vitamix?
But is it good for this processor? 12mn of procesissing?
How long does it take with the vitamix?
I am thinking about buying it, but this tamper thinglooks exausting, that’s too bad, and it is pricey!
Would you recommend it?
I’m obsessed with nut butters and am looking for the best and easiest stuff for that :)
Thanks.

Carol C January 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I just this for the third time and I learned a valuable lesson—-don’t use almonds that have been frozen; at least I think that’s what caused the butter to be too thick, not creamy enough. The prior 2 times the recipe came out perfectly. I even gave it as gifts and everyone loved it! I was told that freezing nuts will keep them from going rancid, but although these were thawed, I think it affected the quality of the almond. I did add some oil, but it’s still thick. I’ll use it; it tastes good, just not spreadable. Hmmmmm wonder what kind of truffle I can make with it……………….

Indiana sandy January 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I always roast my almonds, about 16 minutes at 350 degrees. Then the almonds have to rest in a large bowl for 24 hours, if you try to do them right after roasting the oil doesn’t appear and the result is dry, mealy almond butter. I have an old Champion juicer and the only thing I use it for is almond butter. I make 6 pounds at a time and keep the covered jars in the fridge.

Doesn’t the ten minutes in the food prosser cook the raw almonds somewhat? I thing the Champion expels the almond butter and it is fairly warm.

Susan January 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Since this is a raw site, I don’t roast the almonds. No, the almond butter doesn’t cook. It warms a little but the temp stays quite low. :-)

bren February 9, 2013 at 8:12 am

does it matter when you add the oil? I didnt want it to seize up!

LISA February 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Can you add cinnamon to this butter for added flavor? I have never had almond butter and I am just curious. Can you use this almond butter in recipes as a replacement/substitution?

Susan February 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm

You can add cinnamon but I would hand stir it in at the end. Your substitution question is difficult to answer because I don’t know what you what to substitute it for. Cheers!

LISA February 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Oh just in any recipe to replace regular butter? I was just curious. As I posted above I have never had it nor used it before. I am trying to become more educated on Raw Recipes and Gluten free type recipes. We do not have any allergies to any of wheat items but, we are trying to cut out all “wheat” out of our diets. We have read many books,articles and there maybe “bad'” side effects/damage to your body from the new wheat’s that are being produced. I am just trying to get learn something new everyday! :)

Susan February 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Almond butter is a nut butter. It is most like peanut butter…not dairy butter. Cheers!

Joy February 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

My first attempt. Great almond butter. Be patient, it took 30 minutes for mine to change from crumbly to creamy. I added a little more honey AFTER IT CHANGED to the creamy consistency. YUM!

Carole S February 26, 2013 at 11:35 am

I want it just raw with sea salt. I have a VitaMix and found that I needed to use LOW setting of 6 and scraping down occasionally. With that it worked absolutely great and in the same time as stated. I spread on brown rice cakes for my gluten free diet. Thank you for pictures included!

susan March 6, 2013 at 9:03 am

thank you for posting this-I am only eating homemade now. Question-The oil has not separated at all in my homemade version, in great contrast to store-bought. Is that typical? Why is it? Thanks

Susan March 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm

No the oil doesn’t separate out and that is fine.

Karen Ables March 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thank you for the recipe. What can I do with the wet meal after making milk. Grateful for your response.

Susan March 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Do you mean the almond milk recipe?

Pat C. April 1, 2013 at 11:09 am

I made cashew and almond butters last week. Delicious.
Your illustrations gave me the courage to keep processing the nuts until they got to the stage when they released the oil. I know lots of my friends and family will also benefit from your guidance. Thanks so much.