Raw Recipe: Almond Butter

by Susan on February 6, 2010

Making nut butters can be a little tricky. I used to think that I had to do them in my Vitamix, which would drive me batty with all the scraping down that was required. Other times, I would have a fail, only because I quit too early. I didn’t realize how much time it takes, and the process that the nuts have to go through. But if you have a little patience, you can make nut butters that are fabulous. You will never want to buy them again!

I used my Kitchen Aid 12 cup food processor. It is a strong processor. The bottom warms up a little bit but if you are using an older processor, or a processor with a much weaker motor, common sense needs to prevail.

Almond Butter
yield 1 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 2 C Almonds
  • 1 T  Raw Honey (optional)
  • 1/2 t Sea Salt (optional)

Place almonds in food processor. Process for 8-12 minutes. You will need to scrape down the sides in the beginning. If you choose to use the honey and salt, stir in by hand after the butter is made as it will seize the mixture if you try to add it before.

*Chef’s Note: If using soaked, dehydrated (dried) almonds, you may need to add a little oil. This recipe requires the use of completely dry almonds.

After 2 minutes it will look like this.

After 4 minutes it will look like this.

After 6 minutes it will look like this.

Around 8 minutes, the almond mixture will ball up. Just let it keep going.

At 10 minutes it has begun to redistribute, but it is not done yet. You want to wait until the oils get released.

At 12 minutes the almonds have released their oil and the butter is ready! If you want to add honey or salt, stir it in by hand.

Elizabeth April 18, 2013 at 11:50 am

I agree with Pat – if it weren’t for the progress pictures I would have lost complete faith. Finishing up our first batch now, and I’m pretty happy with it! Keeping this one plain to but looking forward to trying different “flavors” in the future :)

Susan April 18, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Glad to hear it worked for you!

anina May 21, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Hey there Susan
thank you for sharing! I don’t have a food processor but I use my blender – will that suffice?

Cheers

Susan May 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm

If you have a good, high-speed blender, it can work. But the instructions will be completely different.

anina May 21, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Susan – I’m guessing when you say instructions you are referring to timeframe? All good
Cheers and have a wonderful wednesday :)

Heather May 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I use raw almonds purchased direct from the farm and even after a half hour in my kitchen aid they never get creamy, should i just get raw almonds in bulk? I have heard that raw nuts are not truly raw unless they are from the farmer, but maybe the ones right off the tree don’t work for some reason? Is there something that is done to the raw almonds from bulk that alters them? Thanks

Amyris June 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Susan, thanks so much for posting this recipe with all details documented in pictures… I was at the point of though ready to give up when I decide to google for recipes and found this one!
Truth to your word this is delicious. I made cashew butter as well and it is to die for.
Thanks again and lots of love and light.

Susan June 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

You are so welcome! I am glad you like it! :-)

Kay June 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

My son wants to try this — dehydrating almonds right now…. Will try it with some avocado oil, unless you suggest another oil to use. I have a Cuisinart – has anyone used this brand for the recipe? Wondering if the motor will be strong enough. Thanks so much for your posts.

denise July 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I have been doing this since 9:30 this morning with my cuisnart 11 cup food processer. I soaked the almonds over night. I am concerned that the heating up of the base will blow the thing up! I will move on. It looks like minute 8, will it ever get done! It is now 11:30. It never got to the smooth stage. I gave up and added some honey to the ball. Perhaps soaking them overnight did something to them which made them not release the oils. I really thought I had done it right, but I did start and stop the food processor due to the base heat. It’s a pretty new machine. Any thoughts, help, etc would be appreciated!

Susan July 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This recipe will only work with DRY almonds. If you soak them, you must dehydrate them completely dry. Also, if you note the chef’s note, it states that you may need to add oil if you use soaked, dehydrated almonds. If you are trying to do this with wet almonds, it will never work.

denise July 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Susan for the tip. I figured it was something like the soaking problem. Well.. lesson learned! I am going to try this again because I really love almonds and anything made from them.

Claudia July 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Works deliciously with raw walnuts, too — walnut butter has a unique flavour and is creamy and healthful!

Julie August 6, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I tried this recipe with my cuisinart & followed exactly the recipe& photos. At 24 min, the almond butter had not released oil and was a solid mass. I took it out (to put in refrigerator) to give my cuisinart a break. Any suggestions?! Thanks, julie

Susan August 7, 2013 at 10:22 am

Are you using dry nuts? Did you presoak and dehydrate them?

Jennifer August 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Quick question. Do you use raw slivered almonds or raw whole almonds?

Thanks, Jennifer

Susan August 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Whole raw almonds.

Debbie September 1, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I also will have to use a blender. How will the directions be different? What will I need to do different? Thank you!

Susan September 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I have done this in the vitamix. It is very fast but gets pretty warm. You need to scrape down the sides frequently.

Renee September 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm

What’s the shelf life, please?

Renee September 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Sorry, just found the answer to my question

Kate October 23, 2013 at 10:54 am

So I made a much larger batch in my Cuisinart, and word to the wise, it didn’t work! It wouldn’t break up after it formed a ball. So I had to split it up into smaller batches and then it got creamy. I was using raw almonds. Contemplated adding oil, but it worked without once I went to smaller amounts. LOVE the result! :)

Kurt November 14, 2013 at 9:08 am

Thank you for sharing how to make almond butter. I knew there was a way to do it without adding a neutral oil. Your explanation with photos was most helpful. I was a bit surprised by the amount of heat produced during the processing yet the outcome was a lovely, smooth almond butter. Now I’m ready to make your cinnamon orange energy bars. I really enjoy your website, beautiful design and easy to make tasty raw recipes. Keep up the good work!

andrew January 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi _ I just did it. My wife and I have been eating Maranatha Raw organic almond butter
for years but it is so expensive.

The recipe worked well – it did come together at the end. Great consistency but the
almond flavor is less than store bought. I wonder if the Whole Foods bulk almonds
are to blame. Anyway – not sure I would do it again but it’s nice to know it’s possible
Thanks

Kathy February 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

Will using roasted almonds make a difference in any way? I would think it would add flavor to roast them first.

Susan February 19, 2014 at 11:55 am

Kathy, Since this is a raw site, I don’t use roasted almonds. But I am sure they would work. You might have to add more oil. Cheers!

Chantell February 24, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I would love to know how long it lasts for in the fridge

Susan March 1, 2014 at 10:23 am

It will keep for weeks. It is just almonds. Cheers!

Kerry March 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Hi
Have just made this in my Vitamix. It’s the first time I’ve tried a nut butter. It took longer than I expected but appears to have worked. My problem is that the temperature of the ‘butter’ reached 95 Centigrade by the time it was ready! I admit I’m new to raw foods but it strikes me that 95C is not classed as raw. Help!
I’m chuffed to have discovered your site btw, there are so many amazing looking recipes, thanks for sharing :-)

Susan March 19, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I am not sure why it got so hot. Maybe try it in the food processor like in the recipe? The food processor doesn’t go as fast as the vitamix and doesn’t heat it that high. Cheers!

Desiree April 5, 2014 at 8:58 am

I am thrilled to have this recipe!!! Thank you. One question. I wasn’t aware of dehydrated almonds. What is the difference between dried and dehydrated?…… Just more moisture removed from dehydrated? Thanks so much & happy weekend to you. :-)

Susan April 5, 2014 at 11:24 am

Hi, Desiree, Soaking the almonds will release enzymes that make the almonds harder to digest and also start the sprouting process. Many people prefer to eat their nuts this way. If you want to use almonds that have been soaked, you have to dehydrate them completely dry for this recipe. Cheers!

Imbra April 8, 2014 at 2:35 am

Soooo I made a huge mistake before processing the nuts. I boiled the almonds in order to peel the skin off, but I didn’t roast them in the oven – I just threw them in the processor as they were.. Obviouly, the result I got wasn’t butter but something I could only call as wet crumbs. Is there a way to save them? Or at least use them in some dish?
Any help will be hiiiighly appreciated!

Eva April 26, 2014 at 11:26 pm

You gave the advice to someone that soaked almonds are hard to digest- it is the opposite!!

Susan April 27, 2014 at 12:09 am

Hi, Eva, I believe that you read what I wrote incorrectly. I stated that soaking almonds will release the enzymes that make almonds hard to digest. Meaning if you soak them, they will be easier to digest. Cheers!

Jodi May 28, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Stir in some cocoa powder for a tasty treat. If too thick add some coconut or almond milk. It’s my paleo chocolate fix.

Mellisha May 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Thank you for sharing this simple to follow recipe. I made it just as you said and it’s beautiful!
Namaste

Nicola June 9, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hi, do you need to peel the almonds skin off, or can you leave it on?
Thanks

Susan June 9, 2014 at 6:54 pm

No…you do not need to peel the almonds. Cheers!

sofia August 15, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Can i make this out of any type of nuts? Would it be a good way to make peanut butter? Thanks for this great website- i can’t wait to check it out further and find more goodness! x

Susan August 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Hi, Sofia, Yes, you can use different nuts. Each nut will process a little differently. Personally, I don’t like making raw peanut butter…but you could do it with roasted peanuts. But it won’t be raw… Cheers!

Maria August 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I just used your recipe to make a batch of almond butter. I like mine chunky so I used the food processor bowl of my Ninja to roughly chop 1/4 cup of almonds first. I put them aside, then processed 2 cups of almonds (again, using the Ninja food processor bowl), per your instructions and it came together perfectly! When the almond butter looked like your final picture, I mixed in the chopped almonds using a spoon. It is DELICIOUS. It’s got a nice flavor…even better than my beloved Trader Joe’s, which I was forced to leave due to a recall. I’m so happy I found your recipe…you’ve got a new follower! Thanks!

Susan August 21, 2014 at 9:02 pm

So glad you like the recipe! Cheers!

Daryl August 29, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I have just done this. Raw almond butter is very expensive in NZ and I’ve been wanting to do it for ages. It turned out perfect. Next time I will be more organised and soak and dehydrate my nuts first but this is good enough. I like the idea of adding some chopped nuts to it as I also was always a chunky peanut butter person before I went raw and I do have enough ready to do that. Love your website and I also have one of your books.

Susan August 30, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Daryl, So happy to hear! Cheers!