Raw Recipe: Almond Butter

by Susan on February 6, 2010

Making nut butters can be a little tricky. I used to think that I had to do them in my Vitamix, which would drive me batty with all the scraping down that was required. Other times, I would have a fail, only because I quit too early. I didn’t realize how much time it takes, and the process that the nuts have to go through. But if you have a little patience, you can make nut butters that are fabulous. You will never want to buy them again!

I used my Kitchen Aid 12 cup food processor. It is a strong processor. The bottom warms up a little bit but if you are using an older processor, or a processor with a much weaker motor, common sense needs to prevail.

Almond Butter
yield 1 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 2 C Almonds
  • 1 T  Raw Honey (optional)
  • 1/2 t Sea Salt (optional)

Place almonds in food processor. Process for 8-12 minutes. You will need to scrape down the sides in the beginning. If you choose to use the honey and salt, stir in by hand after the butter is made as it will seize the mixture if you try to add it before.

*Chef’s Note: If using soaked, dehydrated (dried) almonds, you may need to add a little oil. This recipe requires the use of completely dry almonds.

After 2 minutes it will look like this.

After 4 minutes it will look like this.

After 6 minutes it will look like this.

Around 8 minutes, the almond mixture will ball up. Just let it keep going.

At 10 minutes it has begun to redistribute, but it is not done yet. You want to wait until the oils get released.

At 12 minutes the almonds have released their oil and the butter is ready! If you want to add honey or salt, stir it in by hand.

Carol C September 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Oh my goodness this is the yummiest butter! I have an older model Black & Decker PowerPro processor, but it handled the process very well. Thank you for the photos and the encouragement to keep going. This will make a wonderful gift at any time of the year :-)

Susan September 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Carol…glad you had success! I love making it this way, too. Cheers!

michael rowland September 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm

i am in england and a little unsure of exactly the reason for wanting to produce the nut butter. Does it have improved nutritional status than simple almonds. Maybe simple almonds are too simple for you, but i enjoy them and by chewing them thoroughly the saliva in my mouth produces the chemicals to help my stomach digest them.

Susan September 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Michael, because we like it. Cheers!

mandy September 30, 2012 at 5:14 am

Thank you for the recipe. It is so hard to buy almond butter here in england so I thought I would try making my own. Welll one word DELICIOUS…. I’ve started to make almond mik too. Thank you once again x

Nat October 7, 2012 at 12:25 am

Do you think I could use this same process to make a butter with pecans instead of almonds? And if so should I still do 8-12 minutes? Thanks

Kaylene October 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for this great recipe. I made it in my Thermomix which took about half the time. Initially I ran it on 6-7 to grind the almonds and after about 2 minutes turned it down to about 4-5 to finish it off. I found that the butter was nice and runny and smooth before I added the salt and honey then it became thicker and clumped together after adding the salt and honey – is that how it is or should I keep blending until it becomes smooth again?

Susan October 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

In the recipe, I suggest if you want to add honey, you should do so by hand because it can sieze if you add it in the food processor. I am guessing yours seized.

Barbara October 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hey Susan,
Great post. I’ve finally decided to do this..now that I’ have some really raw almonds..I have the same food processor and it got really really hot and I had to stop. Did you soak, sprout and dehydrate your almonds before making the almond butter? I did..and my consistency is quite dry and mealy..it never got creamy…am wondering if you all are soaking the nuts first or if that ruins the process? Thanks for a great post.

Susan October 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

As stated in the recipe, if you soak and dehydrate your almonds before hand, you may need to add oil. Cheers!

Angel October 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love almonds. I am interested in other ways to use almonds. I have a few questions:
What is the proper way to store the almond butter? pantry, refrigerator, or both?
How long will it last once stored?
What other ways can you use this almond butter?

Brittney October 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Anyone know how long this keeps for? Should it be refrigerated?

Susan October 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm

It will keep for as long as normal fresh almond butter keeps. I do refrigerate it. Cheers!

Robyn November 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Thank you so much I have bought raw almond butter in the past but this is so amazingly good and simple, I did not add honey or salt and it was awesome.

Karrie December 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

I used soaked and dried almonds and added oil as suggested and this just didn’t work. It never creamed up. It’s been almost a half hour. I’m so bummed. My food processor isn’t old either. :(

Susan December 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

As stated in the recipe, if you use soaked, dried almonds, you might have to add a little oil. :-)

Diana December 31, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi, there! Great recipe. I’ve seen other recipes for homemade butter but none mentioned the time factor as being critical – nor did any of them have such nice pictures! The art in the pictures alone is priceless, thank you!

Just out of curiousity, I’m concerned for my food processor. It’s on the old side and I don’t want to burn it out. Will this work if you stop for a few minutes and resume, _accumulating_ the time, as it were rather than running fairly continuously? I believe if I could stop the machine every couple of minutes to let it cool down for a couple of minutes, that my machine might manage to make the butter. Not sure I can run it rather continuously for the entire 10-12 minutes with only stops of a few seconds to try to help keep the heat build-up in the machine down.

Have you ever successfully made this breaking up the processing time? Thanks!

nouna January 4, 2013 at 6:45 am

so you prefer using your kitchen aid processor enstead of the vitamix?
But is it good for this processor? 12mn of procesissing?
How long does it take with the vitamix?
I am thinking about buying it, but this tamper thinglooks exausting, that’s too bad, and it is pricey!
Would you recommend it?
I’m obsessed with nut butters and am looking for the best and easiest stuff for that :)
Thanks.

Carol C January 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I just this for the third time and I learned a valuable lesson—-don’t use almonds that have been frozen; at least I think that’s what caused the butter to be too thick, not creamy enough. The prior 2 times the recipe came out perfectly. I even gave it as gifts and everyone loved it! I was told that freezing nuts will keep them from going rancid, but although these were thawed, I think it affected the quality of the almond. I did add some oil, but it’s still thick. I’ll use it; it tastes good, just not spreadable. Hmmmmm wonder what kind of truffle I can make with it……………….

Indiana sandy January 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I always roast my almonds, about 16 minutes at 350 degrees. Then the almonds have to rest in a large bowl for 24 hours, if you try to do them right after roasting the oil doesn’t appear and the result is dry, mealy almond butter. I have an old Champion juicer and the only thing I use it for is almond butter. I make 6 pounds at a time and keep the covered jars in the fridge.

Doesn’t the ten minutes in the food prosser cook the raw almonds somewhat? I thing the Champion expels the almond butter and it is fairly warm.

Susan January 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Since this is a raw site, I don’t roast the almonds. No, the almond butter doesn’t cook. It warms a little but the temp stays quite low. :-)

bren February 9, 2013 at 8:12 am

does it matter when you add the oil? I didnt want it to seize up!

LISA February 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Can you add cinnamon to this butter for added flavor? I have never had almond butter and I am just curious. Can you use this almond butter in recipes as a replacement/substitution?

Susan February 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm

You can add cinnamon but I would hand stir it in at the end. Your substitution question is difficult to answer because I don’t know what you what to substitute it for. Cheers!

LISA February 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Oh just in any recipe to replace regular butter? I was just curious. As I posted above I have never had it nor used it before. I am trying to become more educated on Raw Recipes and Gluten free type recipes. We do not have any allergies to any of wheat items but, we are trying to cut out all “wheat” out of our diets. We have read many books,articles and there maybe “bad’” side effects/damage to your body from the new wheat’s that are being produced. I am just trying to get learn something new everyday! :)

Susan February 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Almond butter is a nut butter. It is most like peanut butter…not dairy butter. Cheers!

Joy February 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

My first attempt. Great almond butter. Be patient, it took 30 minutes for mine to change from crumbly to creamy. I added a little more honey AFTER IT CHANGED to the creamy consistency. YUM!

Carole S February 26, 2013 at 11:35 am

I want it just raw with sea salt. I have a VitaMix and found that I needed to use LOW setting of 6 and scraping down occasionally. With that it worked absolutely great and in the same time as stated. I spread on brown rice cakes for my gluten free diet. Thank you for pictures included!

susan March 6, 2013 at 9:03 am

thank you for posting this-I am only eating homemade now. Question-The oil has not separated at all in my homemade version, in great contrast to store-bought. Is that typical? Why is it? Thanks

Karen Ables March 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thank you for the recipe. What can I do with the wet meal after making milk. Grateful for your response.

Susan March 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Do you mean the almond milk recipe?

Susan March 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm

No the oil doesn’t separate out and that is fine.

Pat C. April 1, 2013 at 11:09 am

I made cashew and almond butters last week. Delicious.
Your illustrations gave me the courage to keep processing the nuts until they got to the stage when they released the oil. I know lots of my friends and family will also benefit from your guidance. Thanks so much.

Elizabeth April 18, 2013 at 11:50 am

I agree with Pat – if it weren’t for the progress pictures I would have lost complete faith. Finishing up our first batch now, and I’m pretty happy with it! Keeping this one plain to but looking forward to trying different “flavors” in the future :)

Susan April 18, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Glad to hear it worked for you!

anina May 21, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Hey there Susan
thank you for sharing! I don’t have a food processor but I use my blender – will that suffice?

Cheers

Susan May 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm

If you have a good, high-speed blender, it can work. But the instructions will be completely different.

anina May 21, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Susan – I’m guessing when you say instructions you are referring to timeframe? All good
Cheers and have a wonderful wednesday :)

Heather May 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I use raw almonds purchased direct from the farm and even after a half hour in my kitchen aid they never get creamy, should i just get raw almonds in bulk? I have heard that raw nuts are not truly raw unless they are from the farmer, but maybe the ones right off the tree don’t work for some reason? Is there something that is done to the raw almonds from bulk that alters them? Thanks

Amyris June 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Susan, thanks so much for posting this recipe with all details documented in pictures… I was at the point of though ready to give up when I decide to google for recipes and found this one!
Truth to your word this is delicious. I made cashew butter as well and it is to die for.
Thanks again and lots of love and light.

Susan June 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

You are so welcome! I am glad you like it! :-)

Kay June 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

My son wants to try this — dehydrating almonds right now…. Will try it with some avocado oil, unless you suggest another oil to use. I have a Cuisinart – has anyone used this brand for the recipe? Wondering if the motor will be strong enough. Thanks so much for your posts.

denise July 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I have been doing this since 9:30 this morning with my cuisnart 11 cup food processer. I soaked the almonds over night. I am concerned that the heating up of the base will blow the thing up! I will move on. It looks like minute 8, will it ever get done! It is now 11:30. It never got to the smooth stage. I gave up and added some honey to the ball. Perhaps soaking them overnight did something to them which made them not release the oils. I really thought I had done it right, but I did start and stop the food processor due to the base heat. It’s a pretty new machine. Any thoughts, help, etc would be appreciated!

Susan July 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This recipe will only work with DRY almonds. If you soak them, you must dehydrate them completely dry. Also, if you note the chef’s note, it states that you may need to add oil if you use soaked, dehydrated almonds. If you are trying to do this with wet almonds, it will never work.

denise July 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Susan for the tip. I figured it was something like the soaking problem. Well.. lesson learned! I am going to try this again because I really love almonds and anything made from them.

Claudia July 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Works deliciously with raw walnuts, too — walnut butter has a unique flavour and is creamy and healthful!

Julie August 6, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I tried this recipe with my cuisinart & followed exactly the recipe& photos. At 24 min, the almond butter had not released oil and was a solid mass. I took it out (to put in refrigerator) to give my cuisinart a break. Any suggestions?! Thanks, julie

Susan August 7, 2013 at 10:22 am

Are you using dry nuts? Did you presoak and dehydrate them?

Jennifer August 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Quick question. Do you use raw slivered almonds or raw whole almonds?

Thanks, Jennifer