Raw Strawberry Banana Crepes!

by Susan on February 26, 2009

Before I started eating a raw food diet, my girls and I had a Sunday tradition. We made Swedish pancakes. Butter, cream, whipped cream, white flour, and lots of sugar. Maybe a little dollop of Strawberries. They tasted great but guaranteed a food coma plus a day of feeling heavy and bloated. I traded a energized, productive day for a few minutes of culinary gluttony. I needed a raw food recipe to replace this!

As time has passed, my body will not tolerate white flour, sugar, and cream. Not to mention, the potential for damage caused from eating that way! Still, I missed that Sunday tradition. So, I decided to create a raw version of that special Sunday breakfast and I am thrilled by the results. These are quite easy to make, so give them a try! Be sure to start the crepes the night before.

For more raw food breakfast recipes, click here: Raw Food Breakfast Recipes

Raw Strawberry Banana Crepes

Crepes:

• 4 Bananas
  • juice from 1 lemon

Place bananas in food processor. Add lemon juice and process until liquid. Pour into 5″ round circles. These should only be about 1/8″ thick so spread mixture if necessary. Dehydrate overnight at 115. Do not over dry these. I start them just before I go to bed. You want them to be flexible. Makes 8 – 5″ rounds

Cashew Vanilla Cream

• Pulp from two young coconuts*
  • 1 C Cashews, soaked overnight
  • splash of Madagascar vanilla
  • 1 T Agave (if desired)

Place the cashews in high-speed blender. Blend on high speed. Add the coconut meat and vanilla. Process until well blended. Refrigerate to thicken if needed.

Assembly

Spoon the Cashew Vanilla Cream into half the crepe. Top with berries and add more cream. Fold over and experience joy! Makes 4-6 crepes.

Eva February 26, 2009 at 9:35 am

OMG these look mind-blowingly delicious. And seeing that my Raw Diva Detox ends tonight, there is potential for pancakes on the weekend :-).
Thanks once again for your super delicious looking and surely tasting recipes!

Love
Eva

kari February 26, 2009 at 1:05 pm

These look so gorgeous! I have an Excalibur dehydrator on layaway. I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

Heather February 26, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Those look so much better than any cooked number! I have got to try them, thanks for the recipe!

debbiedoesraw February 26, 2009 at 2:06 pm

oh you had me at that fantastic picture!!!!!!!!
I am making this for a weekend treat.
thanks!
deb

Lauren February 27, 2009 at 7:10 am

Oh WOW! These look fantastic! :)

marcy February 27, 2009 at 8:21 am

this loooks incredible!!
is there anything that can be used instead of the coconut..i see so many creamy recipes that call for it but I cant get them..any ideas on a substitution. thanks again for posting all your yummy recipes!

Nicole March 1, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I love this. I will make it soon!

alissa March 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm

that looks amazing!

Nathalie Lussier March 8, 2009 at 7:11 pm

These look absolutely delicious! The picture is just drool worthy too.

I’m so excited, and your post will gladly be included in the Raw Food Blog Carnival! :)

Published shortly after March 15!
Nathalie

Claudia March 17, 2009 at 1:38 am

Mmmm those look delicious, I will definately be trying them out.

Beatrice March 22, 2009 at 4:41 pm

These are amazing! I had them yesterday and with blackberries and they were fantastic!

Tim March 24, 2009 at 5:50 am

They where good but if you are feeding to children that are not used to raw food you might want to sweeten the cream up.

Evelyn August 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Wow! It looks amazing and I know the taste is incredible. I’ll have to give this a try. :)

nati November 1, 2009 at 4:49 am

if idont have Dehydrate… what can i do? can i put in in the oven at 40 celsius for how long?? 6 hours?

Susan November 1, 2009 at 7:54 am

I honestly don’t know, as I always use the dehydrator. I would just check it as you go. You want it to be dry, but pliable. Not hard.

Carole Hicks December 1, 2009 at 7:16 am

A note to Nati and anyone else who hasn’t yet coughed up the big bucks for a “real” dehydrator: I spent LESS than $100 on a dehydrator from Kohl’s and it works great! I decided that I would try the raw food lifestyle for a while first before investing in the big dollar equipment. So far, I feel so much better when I eat raw so I know that eventually I will invest in the proper equipment.

Shelby December 9, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Wow! this recipe is amazing- I followed it exactly as shown, but doubled the agave in the cream and added some water to it. Even my meat eating husband thought these were amazing! thanks a bunch!

stephanie December 20, 2009 at 7:16 pm

do you NEED the lemon juice? i want to make this but i dont have lemons right now!

Susan December 20, 2009 at 7:24 pm

You don’t need it but it helps keep the color and also tastes better.

Elizabeth February 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm

OK these crepes were amazing. Since strawberries are out of season and organic mangoes are everyone, so I used mangoes instead. I made them with my daughters preschool class this morning and all I could hear was, “more please”…. YUM!! I will be making these on a regular basis.
I am loving your website and your recipes. I’ve made the spinach mushroom tart and the Squash Crepes with Sage Cream. Many thanks!

Susan February 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm

You are very welcome. Glad to have you!

Deborah March 3, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Exactly how many hours to dehydrate the bananas? I can easily wake the next morning 10 hours later!

Susan March 4, 2010 at 12:14 am

10 hours would leave you with fruit leather. Really no more than 7…and you will want to watch your temp. They can get tough if they are left for too long.

Alison Ottaway June 9, 2010 at 3:44 am

Great recipe – thanks. I made them yesterday and ate them today – they were gorgeous! Did have a problem with them being extremely sticky though and would appreciate some advice. They were a nightmare to get off the dehydrator tray and then when I was assembling them they stuck to every surface I put them on. I dehydratrated them for 14 hours (at 115) – it took that long for them to be dry enough to peel off the tray. I couldn’t serve to guests with them that sticky: Any advice?

Susan June 9, 2010 at 8:06 am

That is interesting. I have made these many, many times and never had that problem. I could never dehydrate them for 14 hours, either. They would be fruit leather. Have you checked the temp in your dehydrator? I am wondering if it is running much lower than you think?

Alison Ottaway June 10, 2010 at 4:10 am

Interesting thought. Thanks. I’ll check the temperature.

Alison Ottaway June 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I checked the temperature on my Excalibur and it’s fine. The crepes weren’t leather after 14 hours though – they were soft, but just so sticky.
I wanted to check a couple of things with you: How big are the banans you use (what weight)? How ripe are they (mine are really brown and soft, hence maybe have more sugar)? Do you literally just pour the mixture from the blender to the tray without spreading out with the back of a spoon at all? How thick would you estimate your pancakes are? Do you put anything on the tray (like coconut oil) to make it non-stick.
And one more question: How long does it take you to dehydrate tomatoes? Just as a comparison on the dehydrator. Mine I cut to about 3 mm and they take about 18 hours.

Susan June 12, 2010 at 8:53 am

Gosh…

The bananas are medium ripe. Not as ripe as yours. Size is not that important as it shouldn’t matter. I have not weighed them. Depending on the mixture, I do spread it out a little. They are usually about 5″ in diameter and quite thin. No coconut oil.

Alison Ottaway June 12, 2010 at 1:56 pm

ok, thanks. I think perhaps the ripeness makes a difference. I will try again.

Susan June 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

Also, these are a little sticky as the base is bananas, not flour and eggs.

Kellie June 18, 2010 at 11:36 am

I made these and EVERYONE loved them. I make them all the time now.

Jodie Bonfrer June 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I made a bit a different version to day as I have no dehydrator (getting one this week)
I used 2 banana’s coconut and quinoa flakes and some almond milk dried them in a skillet on the lowest heat with a reducer plate under it.
They came out nice will be good when I have my dehydrator.
I just love experimenting.

kristie August 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm

How/where would I get Pulp from two young coconuts?
thanks :)

Susan August 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm

You need to find young thai coconuts. I get mine at whole foods. There are instructions for getting the flesh out here: http://www.rawmazing.com/articles/raw-food-all-about-young-coconuts/

marinacturner September 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

How do you make the crepes?

Susan September 23, 2010 at 7:44 am

The instructions are in the recipe above.

Cinzia December 9, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’m going to buy a dehydrator…
I live in CA, any chance for you to come over here?
Cinzia

Jayne January 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I want to make these but don’t have any cashews at the moment. Can I substitue almonds, brazil nuts, pecans or hazelnuts?
Thanks! can’t wait to try them!

Susan January 27, 2011 at 4:04 pm

You could try. I wouldn’t suggest almonds because they won’t be creamy. Macadamia nuts would probably be the best bet.

Jayne January 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Oops! I forgot to ask you how many people this will feed for breakfast? Thanks so much for your help!

Joy Verning February 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I made the crepes last night as the recipe said, and finished making them this morning by making the inside creamy nut mixture. I used almonds instead of cashews, but I skinned them after soaking them to make them look more like cashew. Oh my, they were delicious. Even my husband not only tried them, but went back for a second one. It was truly a delightful breakfast. I’m ready to try more of your recipes

Tabea February 23, 2011 at 3:08 am

These look tasty! I am very new to eating raw. I do not know what you mean by 5″ rounds though. Do I need something special to make those? I use a Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster® Express Food Dehydrator, how do I make a recipe such as this one work in it?

Joelle April 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

These tasted fantastic, my only problem is that I think I dehydrated them too long. They were definitely pliable, but were tough to cut (not tough to chew though), we just picked them up and ate them like tacos. Should they have been a little soft so as to be able to cut them with a fork or knife? Since I don’t have access to young coconuts, I just used coconut cream butter/concentrate; it wasn’t as creamy as yours, but that may have something to do with the blades getting dull on my food processor, and I could have probably used a little more water or syrup to try and smooth it out, but it was good as is. Thanks!

Jo June 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

If you don’t have a dehydrater what can you do? Could you ever eat them fresh from the pan as a pancake rather than crepe? They look devine!

Susan June 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You could try doing them in the oven on the lowest setting….watch the time and know that they will no longer be classified as raw.

Julie September 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm

The idea of using blended bananas, dehydrating them and using them as a raw crepe is genius!! I’m in the process of dehydrating the base and its going well. It was slightly difficult to peel from the sheet but i peeled a little of the edge up and them bit by bit carefully pushed towards the teflex with a spatula to release the ‘pancake.’ Can’t wait til tomorrow morning when i finish and assemble!!

What other fruit/veggie could be used to make that same texture? You could make mexican style tortillas if there were something else besides bananas that would create this wonderful pliable texture!

Wonderful idea though!

Julie September 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Btw: Anyone trying to use parchment paper, don’t!! It just absorbs the banana and won’t set. Oh, well, you live and learn!

Divya December 28, 2011 at 6:20 am

Hi, I’m new to ur website….and it seems v v interesting…however, I’m unable to understand what you mean by dehydrate..Could you elaborate please? I would love to try this recipe.
Thanks :-)

Susan December 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

Dehydrators are a way of “cooking” food that allow you to keep the temperature under 115 degrees, thus keeping the enzymes and nutrients in the food. There are many different dehydrators out there. There are also a few posts on dehydration here, you can search them. Cheers!

Lisa Wolfin January 18, 2012 at 11:48 pm

You have some great ideas, going to make these right now.
Thanks for sharing!!!