Raw Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies

by Susan on March 12, 2012

I love cookies. I have always loved cookies. In days past, I have to admit, there were days that I lived on cookies. A lot of good that did me! Now I have created a wonderful collection of raw food recipes for cookies that are tasty and healthy.

These little raw strawberry thumbprint cookies are modeled after an old favorite of mine that used poppy seeds and strawberry jam. To make them much healthier, the base is almonds, with healthy chia seeds added. Almonds are a wonderful source of fiber and monounsaturated fats, the fat that actually lowers your risk of heart disease. They also contain significant amounts of vitamin E, a wonderful antioxidant. Did you know that they can also lower the glycemic index of what you are eating? That is a great benefit!

Chia also seeds pack a wonderful nutritional punch. Chia seeds are a wonderful source of Omega 3′s and are much more stable than flax. They also don’t have to be ground to release their benefits. They are also a good source of fiber, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, copper and iron. These little cookies are easy to throw together and taste divine!

Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies

• 2 cups almonds (I soaked and dehydrated mine)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut (ground to a powder in high-speed blender or you can use coconut flour)
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup agave or liquid sweetener of choice
  • 1/3 cup grape seed oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
  • pinch Himalayan salt
  • 5 strawberries, puréed

1. Place almonds in food processor and process until finely ground.

2. Add powdered coconut and chia seeds and pulse to combine.

3. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined.

4. Roll into a small ball. Flatten and indent the center with your finger.

5. Place on dehydrating screen and fill indentation with strawberry purée.

6. Dehydrate for 6 to 8 hours at 115.

*Makes 2 dozen

Anne-Laure March 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm

They are so pretty !

KiwiDreams March 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

They look yummy! Do you know, around how many cookies does this recipe make?

Susan March 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

About 2 dozen. :-)

Asta March 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

They look amazing!! So want to try!! One question, is it possible to change smth and do not “Dehydrate for 6 to 8 hours at 115″? Is there any other way to bake them?

bobbie joh March 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

curious = why grape seed oil? it’s not an ingredient i’ve seen used very often.. does it impart some special flavor?

Susan March 13, 2012 at 10:16 am

It was actually an experiment. The flavor is great and it is a healthy oil.

Carolina March 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

They look rawmazing! Thanks for sharing!

Ashley March 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

These are the prettiest raw cookies I’ve ever seen:) I’m going to make them today!

Jammie C March 13, 2012 at 10:35 am

YOU are a RAW cookie genious! Thanks for sharing yet another RAWMAZING yummy!!!

Sara March 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

oooooooh!! thank you so much Susan for craving, making, and sharing these!!! i can’t wait to make these up! :):) xoxo

Ronn March 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

These cookies look like something I need to keep a big supply of!

Another question about grape seed oil (hope you don’t mind) – I don’t have any on hand, but would like to start a batch of these right away; could I use coconut oil instead of grape seed oil?

Thanks for all your fantastic recipes!

Dominique March 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

So timely as I see Girl Scouts at every turn pushing cookies. Thin Mints (not so thin when one can devour a package at a time), Samoas, Dos-Si-Dos, Tagalongs, Trefoils… loaded with garbage. Wouldn’t it be fun to see a RAW GS Cookie eBook? Can’t wait to try this recipe.

PS: your photos are gorgeous.

DessertForTwo March 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I can’t wait to try these! When I feel guilty about how much sugar I eat, I just eat raw desserts instead ;)

karina March 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I just love that I two days ago bought raw and dried coconut, because I just knew it would come handy. Guess I’ll try this recipe in this dehydrator week of mine.

Maria March 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I saw this recipe and had to try it right away. I did not have grape seed oil, so I used olive oil. The cookies still turned out great. Thanks, Susan!

Kristina March 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I have to avoid all sugars at the moment – would I need to add anything extra when I substitute stevia for the agave nectar in this recipe in order to keep the wet/dry ingredient ratio?

Barbara March 13, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I am going to make these for “Movie Night” at our Raw Food Meet up Group later this month. We all bring a snack and a dessert. When I take the cover off of these beautiful pretties there is going to be swooning and then grabbing!

Thess March 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for sharing. I am same like you that I love cookies and this is just a wonderful replacement of clean cravings of cookies.

Kathleen March 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Susan, how long do you soak and dehydrate your almonds? also, what temperature should you dehydrate them at? thanks

Susan March 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Traditionally I soak them over-night and then dehydrate until dry…however long that takes. I dehydrate them at 115. Cheers!

Bettena March 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Looks good! Can I use 2 cups of raw almond flower instead?

Susan March 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Instead of the almonds? The proportions will be different. I am not sure exactly what the change will be so please feel free to experiment but I can not guarantee results. Cheers!

Laura March 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Beautiful, my husband and I eat RAW, and love cookies. These will be first in the dehydrator tomorrow!! Sometimes eating RAW isn’t easy but Susan I have to say to do help. Your recipes are great and use them all the time and I love your books.

Laura March 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Sorry I meant “you do help”.

Samantha March 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Made these for the work group and they devoured them. Soooo good. If I didn’t give most of them away I would have eaten them all in one sitting. Everyone asked for the recipe and I sent them the web post. Thank you for the great recipe.

Jamie March 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm

woah…I just had a craving for thumbprint jelly cookies and then baaaaam you post tis. so excited ;)

Callie {rawxy} March 15, 2012 at 11:23 am

Yeah, this ARE beautiful! Oh my gosh – I’ve got to file this recipe away for a rainy day!

Amy March 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thank you my friend. These are absolutely amazing. Yum

Jocelyn @ WhatsOnTheWire March 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm

These look so delicious! This is going to be my weekend new recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.

Ute March 15, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Can you please tell me why my cookies fell apart .I doubled the recipe , used coconut oil instead of grape seed oil and raspberry jam. I want to make them again since they are very tasty, is there any thing I can add to the mix for Strenght?

Hugs Ute

Rhonda March 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

Would you use the same amount of coconut flour if you substitute it for the powdered shreded coconut? I use coconut flour a lot and was wondering if it would make the recipe too dry??

Michelle Jaffee March 17, 2012 at 5:34 am

Your cookies are so pretty. : )

Renee March 17, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m ordering my first dehydrator next week. These cookies were the last straw! (and some extra money coming in…) :)

sarah March 17, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m making these for a raw pot luck i am hosting next week, super excited:)

Kelsey March 19, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I just made these. They are amazing! The entire batch was eaten by the family. My 3 year old wants you to come up with an icecream cone recipe. I told her I would let you know. Thanks for all the recipes!

LJ March 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Hi Susan, I made these little gems on the weekend. The recipe is definitely a keeper – so very good that half didn’t make it through dehydration! While the ones left did ‘firm up’ during the process, they didn’t harden. Just wanted to confirm that they’re not meant to be ‘crispy’.

Susan March 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm

No, they are not meant to be crispy. :-)

Stephanie March 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm

These are in the dehydrator right now! They already smell great!

Lana March 22, 2012 at 11:13 am

Hi, these look amazingly delicious!! Is it possible to use an oven? I dont have dehydrator and would love to make these. Thank you!

Susan March 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Since this is a raw food website, I have not tried these in an oven and do not have directions on using an oven. Cheers!

SweatyGirl March 23, 2012 at 11:22 am

Oh man, I cannot wait to try these! They are gorgeous!

Mel March 28, 2012 at 10:37 am

I was just wondering if there is something I could substitute for the coconut? Due to current diet restrictions I cannot eat it! Thanks…

sara dm April 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm

The whole family, not raw eaters, love these cookies – unfortunately they last only 1 day!
The first time i found them a little too greasy so now i always use just a little less of oil

Milena April 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

This is another recipe sparking my interest… maybe buying a dehydrator isn’t as far off in my future as I thought. I am, however, still wrapping my head around the idea of a recipe taking 6-8 hours, plus prep time ;-) I guess this is all part of the necessary transformation required to move from vegan to raw <=-)

Mindy May 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

YUM! These were really good and SUPER easy! I highly recommend making them!

Randahl August 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I just popped these in the dehydrator :) These are so gorgeous, they look like little valentines to me! In fact, I think this would be a great use for frozen strawberries come next February :D Thank you yet again, Susan!

Yanielle August 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

In regards to the almonds, do I have to dehydrate them before hand? Or can I just soak them, then when I make the cookies I’ll dehydrate them with the rest of the ingredients, is that okay?

Susan August 12, 2012 at 12:06 am

You do not want to make this recipe with wet almonds. It will not work properly.

denskiCouture November 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Can you explain the process for the almonds? Soak and dehydrate. How long to soak and how long to dehydrate on which setting? ugh. I need to make these tomorrow. Also I plan on substituting grape seed oil for olive oil since I am out of the grape – and I plan on using honey because I am allergic to most sweeteners.

Susan November 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm

You don’t have to soak and dehydrate. It is done to get rid of the enzyme inhibitors and make them most digestible. If you do want to do that, you can soak them for 6-12 hours and dehydrate under 118 until dry. Cheers!