Raw Sweet Potato “Fries” w/ Chipotle Mayo

by Susan on July 6, 2009

Sweet Potato Fries

Eating a raw food diet doesn’t mean giving up some of your favorite foods. I used to love to order sweet potato fries with chipotle mayo. But my body did not love eating them! I felt heavy, bloated and like I had been sedated! The deep frying plus all the saturated fat in the mayo completely obliterated any healthy benefits that the sweet potatoes were offering.  The potatoes offered in this raw food recipe are a little more chewy than crispy but great! And the “mayo” is even better than the original unhealthy version!

Sweet Potatoes are a nutritional power house. High in vitamin A and vitamin c, they are also loaded with fiber. They are excellent immunity builders and also help balance blood sugars. Adding these wonderful tubers to your diet provide a great healthy way to snack.

Sweet Potato Fries

• 3 large sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 C Nama Shoyu
  • 1/2 C Olive Oil
  • Slice sweet potatoes into fry shapes. These will dehydrate down quite a bit so I usually start with about 1/3 x 1/3. Mix together Nama Shoyu and olive oil. Pour into a large zip lock bag and add sweet potatoes. (you can also use any type container, just make sure that the potato slices are covered). Marinate over night. Drain, place on dehydrator screens, sprinkle with sea salt and dehydrate at 145 for 1/2 hour. Reduce temp to 115 and dehydrate until desired dryness is achieved. You will want to check them after about 4 hours. Some people like them very dry, I tend to like them less dehydrated.

Chipotle “Mayo”

• 1 C Pine nuts (soaked)
  • 2 T Olive Oil
  • Juice from 1 Lemon
  • 1/2 to 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 C Filtered Water
  • 1/2 C young coconut flesh
  • 3 t. Chipotle Seasoning

Place all ingredients in Vitamix and blend until very smooth.

Krunsdogs July 6, 2009 at 10:26 am

Like your new site! I was just thinking about sweet potato fries and how I missed having them. Thanks for posting this! I will definitely make this recipe!

Michal July 7, 2009 at 8:36 am

Those look so amazing! I wish I had a dehydrator so I could make them.

Susan July 7, 2009 at 9:10 am

I have seen dehydrators (to begin with) on Ebay for as low as 5.00!

The Veg Next Door July 13, 2009 at 7:53 am

Love the new look!

Will be trying the sweet potato recipe. Sweet potatoes are one of my fave foods. Sounds crazy but I’m not able to get coconuts in my town. Can I substitute the dried stuff?

Susan July 13, 2009 at 10:25 am

My first thought is that it would be very difficult to get the coconut to the right consistency but I will do some research.

VeggieGirl July 13, 2009 at 9:17 pm

HEAVENLY!!!

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 13, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Those look great! I love sweet potato fries!!!!

astrorainfall July 14, 2009 at 3:42 am

The dip looks amazing. Will want to try this. Love the look of your new site.

Heather July 14, 2009 at 6:24 am

These look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’m going to try them as an on-the-go snack for Elliott, my 2-year-old son. Our oven has a 120F dehydrate setting. Do you think this work work? They wouldn’t be raw, but neither am I, so that’s OK. Also, when you say “3 large sweet potatoes”, about how much should they weigh in total? Oh, and how long do the fries keep for?

Gloria Loehle July 14, 2009 at 8:36 am

I’m impressed with the photo. I’ve tried raw sweet potatoes, but never liked them, so I’m unconvinced that this recipe would turn out well for me. I occasionally bake sweet potatoes, but have given up trying to eat them raw. Perhaps I can try the dressing though, that looks good!

Susan July 17, 2009 at 10:14 am

You might want to try this one…the marinade works wonders!

bitt July 17, 2009 at 6:32 pm

my sweet potato fry loving husband saw these from across the room. “wow, are those raw?” we’re impressed.

debbie July 17, 2009 at 10:36 pm

drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll
that’s it, just drool

Stacy July 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Looks delicious! I’m making these Monday for a raw dinner, for a large group of people, could you please answer this little question so I know how many sweet potatoes I should buy…Thanks :)

Question:
When you say that you “start with them cut at about 1/3 x 1/3,” could you please tell me about how large the diameter would be? 1/4″ x 1/4″ or 1/2″ x 1/2″ in diameter, or another size? Thanks :) And about what diameter do they shrink down to?

Susan July 18, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I start by cutting my “fries 1/3″ x 1/3″. That is the diameter. The length varies due to the individual potato but I try to keep it consistent. They dehydrate down significantly. In the picture I believe that was 2 sweet potatoes.

Stacy July 19, 2009 at 11:59 am

Thanks Susan! :) Can’t wait to make them and share them with everyone!

The Veg Next Door July 20, 2009 at 6:34 am

I did a Google search and found a site that suggested substituting fresh coconut with Brazil nuts or macadameia. I’m tempted to try the substitution.

Lauren July 20, 2009 at 8:04 am

I’ve GOT to make these ASAP! I looove sweet potato fries! I can never get them that small though! I tried to make them in the D before and they got chewy not crunchy, any tips? :)

Tanisha Marshall July 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm

You have my mouth watering, I am making this recipe this weekend! I can’t wait! yummm

Ashley August 15, 2009 at 9:07 pm

This is a great idea. When I eat raw I tend to avoid potatoes and sweet potatoes, but this recipe looks tasty.

FRESH LOCAL AND BEST September 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

This is a great idea, maintaining much of the flavor without the deep-fried liability.

Toni G. September 15, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I am so making these! I’ve missed them since going raw! Thanks for the post!!!

Nadia September 20, 2009 at 10:20 am

This looks great, but what is Nami shoyu?

Susan September 20, 2009 at 12:21 pm

It is raw, organic soy sauce. You can usually find it in your coop or try google.

Susan

Kate November 1, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I gave these a try. Whole Foods had two bins one with sweet potatoes and one with yams. The yam looked more like what you used but I got the other kind – tan peel and yellowish-tan flesh. I can never remember which is which so I trusted their labels. I Googled it and it sounds like true yams are mostly available in Asian markets & everything else are sweet potato varieties. The dehydrating wasn’t working very well (okay, I got impatient) so I took them out of the oven and baked them for a bit – one or the other method would probably have been fine but together? I got rocks!

What was edible was good, though, and I’ll probably give it another shot with the orange variety of sweet potato.

My questions is what are you using that you call “chipotle seasoning”. Three teaspoons of what I used (basically a ground up chipotle) would have killed me. Seriously. I chopped it up and at the last minute only used maybe 1/16 teaspoon and it was hot! (And I’m from New Mexico!)

Susan November 1, 2009 at 4:09 pm

The seasoning I use is a Chipolte seasoning, not just chipotle peppers. The one I like is from Urban Accents. It is a combination of things.

Susan November 6, 2009 at 9:03 am

The dip will keep for a couple of days but just use common sense with it….

Kate November 4, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Great. Thanks for the info! (And that makes way more sense!)

One more question, if you don’t mind. How long do you think the dip would keep in the fridge? Thanks!

Bill in Detroit November 21, 2009 at 10:58 pm

@ Michal — no need for fancy equipment if you have an oven and are willing to experiment a bit.
The ‘mayo’ recipe looks to be worth trying.

matt November 25, 2009 at 9:47 am

isn’t a chipotle just a smoked jalepeno?? Meaning they are not really raw?

Mabye I am nitpicking but that might make a raw purist angry if you served this to them.

Susan November 25, 2009 at 9:53 am

You are correct. You might want to read this blog post for my opinion on that. How Raw Do You Need To Be

Crystal December 7, 2009 at 1:44 am

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful creation! I looked very skeptical at the sweet potatoes that arrived in my CSA basket earlier this week and thought “raw sweet potatoes? Yuck.” Then I googled “raw sweet potato recipe” and found this one. Yum! This recipe is a gem. I used 3 Tbsp of mesquite seasoning from World Market and 1 Tbsp of chipotle pepper for the mayo and it is amazing. I’m so excited to try other recipes on your site. Namaste.

Damon December 12, 2009 at 2:26 am

I just had them for dinner with a garlic dip. Yum!!

Anna December 24, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Hi, thanks for the recipe! Just found your site and am busy browsing – it’s gorgeous. Hope you have time to answer a quick question. I’m allergic to nuts. Would you recommend anything I could use as substitution for the pine nuts in the chipotle sauce? Thanks!

Susan December 25, 2009 at 11:21 am

Nuts are the basis for a lot of the cream sauces. I will have to do a little research…

Anna January 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

That’d be great. I’ve been putzing around with raw food for a couple of years now and have yet to find any books specifically avoiding nuts. Of course this means I can stick to the simpler fare, but that gets a tad boring and I haven’t had the best of luck substituting sunflower seeds in more complicated recipes the few times I’ve tried to. I figure perhaps someone with more cooking experience and a better knowledge of how ingredients work together would know better. I have been known to fail majorly at making an omelet. Thanks for the response.

James January 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Hi, love the recipes!

How would they work using the coating from your onion ring recipe to make them crunchier? I thought if you leave out the chipotle and smoked paprika it would preserve the flavor but impart more crunchiness.

Susan January 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm

These do not get “crunchy”. It is the nature of the beast. They are still good. You just have to get past thinking of them as “fried”.

Andy Hawkins January 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Forgive me if the answer to this question seems obvious but in an effort to make sure a nooby mistake doesn’t spoil my first attempt at one of your recipes I will ask it anyway.

Should the sweet potatoes be peeled before slicing or do you leave the skins on?

Susan January 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm

You want to peel these. :-)

Roxanne January 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’m ready to try this mysterious recipe you’ve created. I am in the Twin Cities area. Will you please give me your source for young coconuts? I’m also finding it hard to find Nama Shoyu. I’m thinking of using my Organic Tamari Sauce as a substitute. Is the taste similar? I am not a raw food purist. My local Mississippi Market and Whole Foods do not carry it. I will be ordering goods from your online shop in the coming weeks. Will you be offering Nama Shoyu in your store?
Thank you!

Susan January 24, 2010 at 11:11 am

You can get young coconuts at Whole Foods. I get my Nama Shoyu at Lakewinds.

Helene February 2, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I tried this recipe substituting “Raw Organic Artisana- Cocnut Flesh and Coconut Oil”. YOU can get it at Whole Foods for about $10 and I put it in my smoothies every morning. I also could not find any chipolte seasonings, so they guy at Whole Foods helped me find a clean (pretty clean anyway) Vegan Veggie Powder –by Seitenbacher- called “Vegetarian-Vegan Vegetable Broth and Seasoning”, that you can flavor anything with..and I put it in the dip instead of the chipote seasonings although I did add a little cayenne…and it was delicious. I took it to a party with some non-raw foodists–and they loved it. My sweet potatoe fries didnt come out too good as I cut them by hand so it was probably too thick..but I put the dip with a raw veggie tray they were crazy about it.

Lisa March 22, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Susan I love your site!!! Can you use a different nut in the mayo. My husband is allergic to them. Thanks for your help!!
I also love the photos of the food. It makes it soooo enticing!!!

Susan March 22, 2010 at 6:30 pm

You could use cashews. :-)

Jessie R March 27, 2010 at 8:34 am

Susan,

Do you soak your pine nuts in this receipe? :-)

Jessie

Susan March 27, 2010 at 8:40 am

Belle April 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm

this is too high temp to be raw.

Susan April 11, 2010 at 5:05 pm

No…it is not too high to be raw. The food temp never goes above 116 with this method. It is the food temp that you need to watch, not the air temp. http://www.rawmazing.com/articles/dehydration-questions/

Helene April 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Stupid question: Do you peel the sweet potatoes before slicing?

Susan April 13, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Yes…you want to peel them.

Linda May 31, 2010 at 12:07 am

Thank you for the amazing Chipotle mayo!

Kimberly Liu July 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Hi there,
Thank you so much for this fun and helpful website. I am new to the “raw” movement. I bought an excalibur dehydrator and wondered if it was working right – some of my chili lime almonds are chewy and not crunchy. Is this common? I dehydrated them for at least 18 hours at 115 degrees and we live in Colorado where it is very dry. Any thoughts?

Again I am still new to all this but was wondering if you have more info about dehydrating at a higher temp? I would have to do all of this work and defeat the purpose of eating “raw” Is there a way to determine if the enzymes in the food are being kept alive?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Kimber

Susan July 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Since the recipe you are using is not from this site, I honestly couldn’t comment unless I saw the recipe and also knew what you were doing with it. There are a few articles on dehydrating here. You can use the search. Also, you need to make sure your food temperature doesn’t go above 116 to keep enzymes intact.

Theresa July 27, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Wow! to your creation here…thank you…this looks so delicious.
My question to you is when you speak of chipotle seasoning do you mean dried chipotle peppers just ground up, or is this seasoning something that can be purchased somewhere. Also can you use cashews to subsitute the pine nuts.

Love + Light to you Susan

Theresa July 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hey Susan,
No need to answer my questions. I just saw where the same questions from other beings where asked and I saw your answers.
Thank you & have a Lovely One!

Nate July 29, 2010 at 1:32 pm

How long do you soak the pine nuts for? And can you substitute the pine nuts with a nut that is a little less expensive?

Thanks

Susan July 29, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Until soft…about 6 hours. You could try macadamia or cashews.

Laura-Jane December 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Lol I have died and gone to raw heaven.

Sarah Snow May 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm

@ Kimberly Liu

are you putting oil in the dressing for your almonds. that could possibly prevent them from being crunchy

Siobhan Landis October 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm

This looks incredible! I’m on a 7 day raw-detox this week, but I’m definitely planning to get these started so I can enjoy them once it’s done!

One thing – when I used to make non-raw chipotle mayo, I added fresh chopped cilantro as well. You may want to try it in this raw version (I’m going to – 4 days and counting…)

Shanna October 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Great recipe… they came out tasting a little heavy on the soy (but I used gluten-free tamari instead of Nama Shoyu, which may be why). Great texture at about 8 hours of dehydrating (my cuts were pretty skinny)! Will try again but might use a lower ratio of soy, or try the Shoyu and see if the taste is a little less intense!

Thanks for the awesome recipe, LOVE sweet potatoes!

Katelyn October 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I have done sweet potato chips in my dehydrator but never thought to cut them like fries! Even better, I bet they are nice and crispy! I use coconut oil and marinate them in apple cider vinegar and they turn out great too, have a salt and vinegar taste!

How long do this keep for? Do you store yours in the fridge?

kristin October 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I think I’ve gotta try adding some garlic and parsley to coat the fries!!!

Lauren December 24, 2011 at 1:44 am

yum! I just made these in my new dehydrator and they’re really good! I didn’t have any Nama Shoyu so I just used the olive oil and added some salt and a little pepper. Thanks for the recipe!