I have been creating and shooting around the clock, working on the next Rawmazing E-Book, Frozen Desserts. It is coming together beautifully and will be released soon.
When I am working on a recipe book, I have a tendency to put my head down and lose track of everything else. I often describe it as being in a completely different reality. It’s my cookbook reality and things like stopping for lunch just don’t exist there!
Today, in the middle of shooting, I realized I hadn’t even thought about lunch. I was hungry and I needed food fast. I had some beets and cucumbers in the fridge and quickly threw together these beautiful little “sandwiches”. They are perfect for a quick lunch, or a as a great appetizer for your next gathering. The pine nut “cheese” spread is full of scallions, cucumbers and a touch of tarragon. So simple and tasty I had a hard time photographing them because I kept eating them! Lucky they take less than 10 minutes to throw together!
The filling uses pine nuts which used to be a favorite of raw food recipe folk until the price soared through the roof. But the price is finally coming down…search around I bet you will find them!
Raw Tea Sandwiches
- 2 beets
- 1 cucumber (half sliced, half diced)
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cup cucumber, diced (use the other half of the cucumber from above)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the beets and half of the cucumber into thin rounds.
2. Place pine nuts, nutritional yeast, water, and lemon juice in food processor. Process until very well blended.
3. Stir in the scallions, diced cucumber and the tarragon.
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. You can either make little stacks with the beets and cucumbers, or just place a mound on top of a beet slice or cucumber slice.