Rawmazing Doughnut Holes

by Susan on March 7, 2010

I remember when I first started experimenting with raw food recipes, I came across a raw food recipe for “doughnut holes”. That was a few years ago. Today, I decided to revisit the concept and wanting something that really reminded me of a cinnamon doughnut hole, threw together this quick version. Made with Brazil nuts for a base, some oat flour, flaked oats and coconut oil, a quick roll in cinnamon and sucanant gives a great tasting treat.

Brazil nuts are nutrient dense. They are full of protein, copper, niacin, magnesium, fiber, vitamin E and selenium. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant that works to neutralize dangerous free radicals. Sucanant is a unrefined sugar cane juice. It is made by heating, so not considered raw, but like maple syrup, is not processed.

Doughnut Holes

Fine chop Brazil nuts in the food processor. Combine with oats and oat flour.

Mix together wet ingredients, stir into dry.

Mix together Sucanant and Cinnamon

Roll into balls and then roll in sucanant cinnamon mixture, refrigerate.

Recipe

• 2 C Brazil Nuts
  • 1/2 C Oat Flour (made from raw oats)
  • 1 C Flaked Oats (raw)
  • 1/3 C Coconut Oil
  • 1/3 C Maple Syrup (not raw but used in raw food recipes)

Chop Brazil nuts in food processor until fine. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine wet ingredients, mix together and then add to the wet ingredients. Stir. Squeeze into balls. Roll in sucanant cinnamon mixture and refrigerate.

Topping:

• 1/3 C Sucanat (not raw but not processed, used in raw recipes)
  • 1 1/2 t. Cinnamon

Combine and put through blender. I use a coffee grinder for this to break up the grainy sucanant. You can skip this step and just combine the ingredients.

Related Posts: Flaked Oats

Mandie @ Vegan Wagon March 7, 2010 at 3:54 pm

YUM. I cannot wait to try this!

Neeta March 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for reminding me how nutritious brazil nuts are, somehow these nuts have completely slipped out of my pantry for a while!
Lovely recipe, thanks :-)

veggie wedgie March 7, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Looks great! I love the earthiness of sucanat and oats, this must be totally delicious!

Pure2raw twins March 7, 2010 at 11:07 pm

We made donut holes the other day…yum, great minds think alike!

Raw Candy March 8, 2010 at 12:25 am

Mm, yum. Where do you buy your raw flaked oats? I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in stores.

Susan March 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm

There is a link at the bottom of the recipe that explains all about flaked oats and a source where you can buy them.

Edie Galley March 8, 2010 at 10:25 am

OK, I love Brazil Nuts and MISS donuts. I am definitely going to try this one! THANK YOU!

Sara March 8, 2010 at 10:26 am

Wow this looks amazing. I may just have to try this with date sugar instead of sucanat as my husband is sensitive to cane sugar. Thanks for the recipe!

Marly March 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

I’m thinking about posting that picture as my background. It’s just so delicious. I don’t have brazil nuts, but I think I’m going to have to get some…very soon! Thanks for this recipe!

Heather March 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Yummy! Brazil nuts are a favorite of mine. Hey, I blogged about you over at Kombuchachic! :) I tried out your nut butter recipe, and it rocked. Thank you!

Elizabeth March 8, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Hi Raw Candy, from what I understand Oat flakes aren’t “raw”. To get the flakes or “rolled oats” they are softened by steaming and then rolled in a heavy steel roller. It could be like “raw” pasteurized nuts, they are what’s available… Susan I love your recipes, but this one doesn’t seem very raw too me… I’m still a fan though.

Susan March 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Flaked Oats are raw. Rolled oats are not. They are steamed. Did you read the article that is linked at the bottom of the recipe? It goes into depth about the difference between flaked oats and rolled oats. I have watched flaked oats being made. There is no steam or heat involved. They take the organic oat groat and hand crank it through the flaker. No heat, no steam. If you click on the link at the end of that recipe, it will take you to that blog post and also a source where you can order them.

Kyle Weber March 8, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Oddly enough, I’m watching Good Eats in the background with Alton Brown & he’s talking about Donuts! These look delicious!

Susan March 8, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Funny!

Kelly Parr March 9, 2010 at 9:40 am

OH these look scrumptious!
I was just thinking of creating some type of dessert balls today and these babies popped up on my computer screen – thanks for the great idea!

If you like cranberries try rolling up some of these too!

Sarah Jio March 14, 2010 at 5:31 pm

YUM! I’m going to feature on my blog for Glamour.com tomorrow. I will link to you for the recipe, and give you credit for the first photo. Hope that’s OK! I know readers will love this! xo, Sarah

Susan March 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Hey Sara, no problem!! Thanks for the shout out.

Nutritious Foodie March 16, 2010 at 10:48 am

Yum these look awesome.

Carmelita Taylor March 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Hi Susan: I just wanted to share with you that I tried your recipe for the doughnut holes and it kept falling apart. I followed the recipe word for word, what did I do wrong? Does it make a difference to use rolled oats instead of flaked oats? That’s what I did and I didn’t think it would make a difference. Also would it help next time to use dates or is it because of the oats? Please let me know. I was so disappointed because I am a perfectionist when it comes to preparing raw foods. The doughnut holes were very tasty, though, I felt bad because when people picked them up to eat, they would fall apart. Eagerly awaiting your reply. Thanks

Susan March 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm

You really need to press the balls together tightly. Really squeeze them as you are making them. Other than that, I have no idea? I actually make these all the time and have not had that problem.

Carmelita Taylor March 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Susan: Thanks for the prompt reply. I will take your advice and try it again!

Tolana March 31, 2010 at 8:21 am

These look yummy! I would love to make them but, with where I am living, I would have to order most of the ingredients and they would take two months to get here. :)

Kim May 16, 2010 at 8:49 am

Mine fell apart also…. But then I realized I live in Florida which is a little warmer than most of the country. I put the dough in the fridge before forming balls and WALLA… Beautiful Tasty Doughnut holes that my 10 yr old is raving about!

Thanks for the recipe

Susan May 16, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I am really confused as to what you guys are doing. I have made these quite a few times and never had a problem with them falling apart. I can suggest that you make sure you squeeze them into a ball, not roll. Should work!

Russ May 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

I just have to tell you that these are amazing. I’ve made them a few times now and the few people who’ve tried them are in awe that they are so simple and healthy. And I can’t believe that they actually taste pretty close to regular donuts!

As for them falling apart, I had a little trouble but by being patient and squeezing them they held together nicely. I also used rolled oats instead, which could be why others have had problems with the balls sticking together. But if you simply give them a quick pulse in the food processor they will be in smaller bits and should not cause a problem.

Lesli September 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Hi Susan. I’m looking forward to making these soon. In my Vitamix, do you recommend that I make the oat flour from whole oat groats or from rolled oats? I’ll have to check with my food co-op to see if the oats are raw or steamed, but will either work for this recipe? Thanks and blessings!

donna November 3, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I have to watch my sugar dr. said no sugar would these doughnut holes be good for me to eat.?

Susan November 4, 2010 at 8:11 am

Donna, you would have to discuss that with your doctor. They do have succanat and maple syrup, both are sweeteners.

Cathleen November 15, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I’m a visual learner and when you put the pictures of how it’s suppose to look and also the steps, it’s very helpful, especially the one for nut butters.
Thanks,
Cathleen

Gayla November 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Susan, Could you clarify where you get your oat groats, please? I checked out the blog post you linked to, as well as the website for the cool grain mills, but when I clicked on grains, it looks like all they are selling now is wheat. I already own a grain grinder, and would love to get back to using some grains, but I am not sure where to buy them to be certain they are raw. Thanks! Gayla

ben December 25, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Thank you very much, Susan. Made these on Saturday, put them in little paper pastry cups, and stashed the lot in the fridge. I find these taste better after a day in the fridge, because the outside gets firm & crisp, & the inside is exactly like the inside of a crumb donut. I used rolled oats instead, since I didn’t have oat flakes handy. Ground them up in my coffee grinder. The recipe is a huge success.

Valerie January 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hi Susan! Thank you for this recipe…my boys love donut holes. I just put my batch in the refrigerator. I am going to test them on the kids tomorrow. My Coconut Oil was hard so I used a hand mixer to mix up the wet ingredients. Since I didn’t have flaked oats I used Oat Bran. They look beautiful!

Susan January 31, 2011 at 5:15 pm

You should always soften your coconut oil and coconut butter. It will make it much easier!

Sarah March 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I made these for a pot luck at my meditation group and they were hit. So yummy, and nutriuous, I also rolled them in hemp seends with cinnamon …added a nice look and taste.

Krystal March 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Let me start out by saying thank you for having a wonderful website.
Try it with hazelnuts and some vanilla powder.
So decadent!

Grace April 1, 2011 at 6:57 am

Wow! These are delicious!!! My mom is a vegan and cannot have processed sugar, so she doesn’t get to have very many sweets these days unless she makes them herself. I am excited to treat her to them when she comes to visit this weekend! Thanks for your great recipes!

Carla April 30, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’m trying this yummy sounding recipe. It’s all mixed, but I’m finding it very difficult to make the mixture in to balls. It just keeps crumbling apart. The mixture feels moist (and tastes good!) but won’t hold up. Any tips? For now, I popped the bowl in the fridge thinking that may help.

Susan April 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

You have to squeeze them together. You can add a tablespoon of water if your mixture is too dry.

Christi March 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

I tried these yesterday and they turned out great!!! I think the raw doughnut holes will be our new Saturday morning breakfast tradition!

Natalie Parker April 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I thought Sucanat was raw because it says its dehydrated??

Natalie Parker April 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Also, is the oat flour made from oat groats or raw flaked oats?

TeenyLittleSuperChef May 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Oh wow, these sound so delicious and so simple. Have you experimented with any other type of nuts for them? I don’t currently have Brazil nuts in my pantry but would like to try making these this evening. Pretty sure I have almonds and pecans. Do you think either of those would work too? Thanks again for the great recipe!

Alina May 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I used macadaian nuts, cashews and peacans:-) That is what i had in the pantry. Still really yummy:-) i also used cocao powder instead of cinammon for my little guy and it has turned out to be one of hs favorite treats!!! Thanks:-)

Sarah February 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Just tried this. Followed the recipe almost exactly (except subbed quick rolled oats for flaked oats as store did not carry flaked. Read it was okay to do so online) however, mine would NOT stick! No matter how hard I tried I could not roll them into balls…just blobs that crumbled and fell apart. Now I have a bowl of the mixture in the fridge that I’m not quite sure what to do with. Suggestions? Advice? Help?!

Susan February 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Quick rolled oats are going to be very different and much more absorbent than rolled oats. You can add a little liquid to make the dough softer.

Autumn April 4, 2013 at 8:30 am

Do you have any way for your recipes to be printed without printing the whole page? If I try to print this it’s 20 pages lol! Your recipes are great!

Christine July 7, 2013 at 7:30 am

I used almonds instead of Brazil nuts and honey instead of maple syrup just because that’s what I had. Worked beautifully and surprisingly a lot like doughnut holes (but it’s been years since I’ve had the real ones). I made sure to process the nuts until the oils came out and I think that helped the binding and helped hold it together nicely. Thanks for a great recipe!

Doris August 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm

My friend Terry made these over the weekend and they are AMAZING!!!!! I love them!

Susan August 21, 2014 at 1:26 pm

So glad you liked them, Doris!