Orange Chocolate Hazelnut Torte with Hazelnut Caramel Topping
Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. And I might have gone a little over the top here but boy, is it awesome! And the holidays are coming up so it’s time to have some fun. You are never going to hear me tell you to have a raw dessert for breakfast but every once in a while, it’s fun to indulge a bit. Why would you serve chocolate cake when you can serve this?
Hazelnuts, cacao and orange, oh my! The crazy thing is that this beautiful torte is relatively easy to throw together and will keep well so you can make it ahead of time if you are entertaining. The chocolate layer is an orange-cacao ganache studded with hazelnuts and the top layer is a orange caramel studded with hazelnuts! It is orange-chocolate-hazelnut heaven.
As we enter into the holiday season, it’s fun to have some extra special recipes in your repertoire and this one will fit the bill perfectly.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 3 dates, roughly chopped (soft)
- 1 tablespoon water (as needed)
- Place hazelnuts in food processor and pulse until nuts are finely chopped.
- Add the dates and water. Pulse until well combined and crust sticks together.
- Pat into the bottom of a nine-inch spring form pan
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup organic maple syrup (not raw)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Organic Orange Flavor
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Whisk together cacao powder, maple syrup and coconut oil until smooth (set aside a little for the top).
- Stir in, by hand, hazelnuts, orange essence, orange zest, and salt.
- Pour over crust and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but not over an hour (if it get’s to hard, the topping won’t stick).
- 1 cup coconut butter, softened (this is not coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Whisk together coconut butter, maple syrup and orange juice until smooth.
- Stir in hazelnuts and orange zest.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, stir, refrigerate again for another 20 minutes, stir and then pat onto top of ganache layer. Alternatively, you can just pour it over the ganache layer with out the refrigeration steps. The refrigeration will introduce some texture.
- Top with ganache you set aside (you may have to re-warm it) and orange zest. Refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.