Rejuvelac

by Susan on January 19, 2012

Rejuvelac is a fermented beverage that is inexpensive, easy to make, refreshing to drink and FULL of wonderful nutrients for your body. A healthy probiotic, it also has vitamins B, K and E, proteins, and enzymes. It is beneficial to your digestive system, promoting a healthy intestinal environment. It is also a great starter for raw nut cheese!

How to make Rejuvelac:

1. Start with one cup soft wheat berries (pictured). You can also use rye, quinoa, buckwheat, or other grains. Wheat, rye and quinoa seem to make the best rejuvelac. Place the wheat berries in a sprouting jar with a screen top and fill with water.

2. Soak the grain for 24 hours. Drain off water, leave berries in jar and rinse two to three times a day until little sprout tails appear.

3. Place sprouted grain in large jar with a top that allows air to circulate. Add 4 cups water and let sit on the counter for 2-3 days.

4. You will notice that the water will get cloudy and little bubbles will start forming.

5. Taste…it should taste clean and fresh with a hint of lemon. Strain the rejuvelac off of the wheat berries and store in covered glass container in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week, just make sure it still smells and tastes fresh. You can reuse the wheat berries to make a second batch. It will only take a day.

Jo January 20, 2012 at 6:35 am

Thanks! I’ve always wanted to try making rejuvelac, but I’m following a gluten-free diet….any alternatives?

Laura January 20, 2012 at 7:15 am

This was so informative and awesome. Can’t wait to try this out and maybe work it into some nut-based cheeses next week. Thanks!

Kate January 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

Are “soft” wheat berries specified on the packaging? I know you can get hard or soft white and red, but I have Arrowhead Mills’ Whole Grain Wheat and I’m not sure which it is. Thanks!!

Susan January 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Jo…read above….you can use many different grains. :-) Kate…either will work as long as they can sprout. Cheers!

Stacey January 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

just finished making Alissa Cohen’s recipe using wheat and rye berries. Made a cheese with cashews, almonds and pine nuts. Goes well with any flavor additions; I put mine into a 4″ cake pan and topped with chopped sundried tomatoes and kalamatas, like a torta. Yum!

Maria January 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thanks Susan! Rejuvelac has been something I’ve wanted to make, I just never knew it was so easy!

Elizabeth January 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

Looks wonderful!!
I make mine with sprouted quiona. Very yummy as well.
Peace and Raw Health,
Elizabeth

Jenny January 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Elizabeth… I’ve tried to sprout Quinoa to make rejeuvalac many times and I can’t get it to sprout! I’ve tried different kinds, brands, etc. There is something called “sprouted” quinoa in the bulk foods section at Whole Foods but it’s dried. I wondered even about ‘resoaking’ that to make quinoa rejeuvalac. I’m allergic to wheat and I’d love to be able to have some rejeuvalac around! What’s your secret? thanks :)

Jenny January 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Do you just drink it straight?

bitt January 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I use quinoa for mine for a gluten-free option. I’ve used it in nut cheese and drink it. Funny I had just made some when you posted this. Thanks!

Lou Whitcomb January 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Jo you can use Buckwheat it isn’t a wheat.

Ida January 21, 2012 at 10:45 am

The Ann wigmore institute says some people with gluten sensitivities can have rejuvelac made with wheat, however they make it with cabbage as well, for those who want to avoid the wheat. There is no gluten in wheatgrass, by the way.

crookedmoonmama January 21, 2012 at 10:37 pm

We use it in smoothies a lot. I didn’t know you could use buckwheat…hulled right?
Anyways, where did you get that great mason jar topper? I’ll go google them. :)
xo

Gena January 22, 2012 at 8:52 am

Confession: in my 4+ years of raw living, I have not once made some rejuvelac. I may have to use this post as the inspiration I need — thanks Susan!

Susie Surtees January 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Thanks so much for reminding me Susan. I’ll start making it again!
I used to make this YEARS ago from Ann Wigmore’s recipe in her 1983 ‘The Hippocrates Diet and Health Program. It’s still around and is a great raw food primer.

Katie Schulz January 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks for the recipe.
I’m very new to raw food and have a question. What can you do with the sprouted grains after you pour off the liquid?

Susan January 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

Some people use them but I put them in my compost bin.

Katie Schulz January 23, 2012 at 10:59 am

Ok thanks, good to know. My compost bin is always hungry. Nom, nom, nom.

Christine January 23, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thanks for the step by step. I’ve wanted to make this for awhile now. I have a question for step 3, when you place sprouted grain in large jar and cover it with water, are you putting a lid on the jar or are you putting a cover that allows air to circulate within the jar? The picture looks like the jar is ventilated but not sure.

Susan January 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

I use a ventilated cover. Cheers!

Magnus January 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I always get the bet taste with rye. Wheat somehow doesn’t give the same delicious flavor and I always use the rye in smoothies.

Maddie January 26, 2012 at 8:45 am

Just tasted my rejuvelac for the first time, and I have a question, I don’t know if it’s stupid or not, but I am not a huge fan of the taste, but I still want the benefits. Will extra flavoring (like lemon or cucumber) destroy or eat away at the benefits of the rejuvelac?

ChenaRaw January 28, 2012 at 2:08 am

I am making my first batch of rejuvelac this weekend. I’m using quinoa as I can’t have gluten. Excited! Maddie, I fermented some cabbage and carrots last weekend. I’ve been putting a tablespoon or two of the brine in my morning smoothies so I can get that good bacteria. I plan on doing the same thing with the rejuvelac.

Kim Moffet January 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

I have been making rejuvelac cashew “cheese” for the last 2 months. I mix in no cheese pesto and my family goes nuts over this stuff. I have 2 girls 4 and 7 and they dip everything into this spread, I put it on grilled sandwiches with raw veggies for my husband. It’s a huge hit.

Roxanne February 3, 2012 at 12:50 am

I have so many questions about Rejuvelac, thought this site I found might help other people.

Maddie February 8, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Good idea ChenaRaw thank you!

NaturallyMariam February 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I think now I will give rejuvelac a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

Linda Gillette February 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

if I understand this correctly, after you make it you use the foamie stuff on top and drain off the water and reuse the oats? I am new to this.
Linda

Susan February 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You sprout the wheat or other grain of choice (I do not like to use oats). Once sprouted, you use the sprouts and fresh water as per the directions. The liquid is the rejuvelac.

Jayanti February 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

I am making rejuvelac for the first time with wheat berries. I am using seeds we got for growing wheat grass- I hope that’s ok. How long do they take to sprout? I soaked for 1 day and have been rinsing/draining for almost 2 days and no sprouts yet……
And I can’t wait to try it with nut cheese! Last week I made some cashew cheese with basil and dried tomatoes that was sooooo delish

Susan February 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Mine usually sprout very quickly. After one day.

Zane March 7, 2012 at 10:41 pm

When letting the sprouted grain sit, does the jar need to have air holes?

Susan March 7, 2012 at 10:44 pm

As I stated above, I use a ventilated cover. Cheers!

Rochelle March 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Hi I have not had any luck sprouting wheat so I gave up and found water kefir grains that make a similar type of drink with many of the same health benefits…it is delicous.

Ruth April 24, 2012 at 11:40 am

After making the rejuvelac, I used Quinoa and it sprouted nicely. Can I use the sprouts in receipies after making the rejuvelac?

Tiffany Moore April 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Can I use this on a candida diet? I am looking for some major good bacteria :)

Marcy June 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hi. I made the rejuv and followed your steps. It did everything you said, even got cloudy and foamy, but it smells horrible. What did I do wrong?

Susan June 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I wish I could tell you what went wrong but since I was not there during the process, I simply don’t know. You may have let your sprouts go too long, had bad sprouts, etc. It should not smell bad. It should have a fresh smell. Cheers!

Margaret August 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hello! I just made rejuvelac for the first time. I used spelt berries because I had a huge supply and wanted to get rid of some. They only took about a day and a half to sprout after soaking – I kept the tails very short.
After about 12 hours of the rejuvelac fermenting it was cloudy and had a nice lemony type smell and bubbles. I should have stopped there but I thought “it’s only been 12 hours – it can’t be done yet” (although, my apartment is about 78-80 degrees right now, which may have sped up the fermenting process). So I let it sit for another 12 hours then smelled it. I smelled just like cheese… like a nice old cheddar type smell. Not an ‘off’ or bad type of smell. I removed the berries and put the liquid in the fridge. The taste is much weaker than the smell, but I feel like I’m drinking cheese water :P
Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know if it is still ok to drink? Susan, do you know anything about cheese rejuvelac? lol.
I’m going to make a raw cheese with some of it – I bet it will taste just like dairy cheese!
Thanks! :)

Margaret August 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Just to follow up – I made raw cheese with the rejuvelac and almonds, let it ferment for about a day and it tastes like real cheese!! I’m so impressed with myself. This is the first time I’ve had success with fermenting raw cheese :)
I’ve also been drinking the cheese-like rejuvelac straight and it’s not too bad. I will definitely be making this again.

Thanks for the instructions Susan!

Isadora galjour August 8, 2012 at 7:18 am

TO get the most out of your wheat berries, I suggest that you put the SPROUTS through a food grinder first, then cover with water.. This allows the many enzymes to fully escape into the liquid. The beverage will taste better as well.

Sara August 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Hi – I tried with quinoa and got mold the 2nd day after soaking…should I keep the quinoa in a jar submerged in water and change the water 2-3x a day or keep it out of the water after draining and simply rinse and leave in the strainer? I am new at this so … not too sure. Help?

Dan August 16, 2012 at 1:23 am

@Tiffany Moore: If you are looking for a good bacteria, you should try Kombucha.

Maxine September 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hello, I sprouted quinoa and left it in the fridge for 4days it started to ferment so I through it was gone off so i filled up the mason jar with water and put the lid and forgot about on the side for 2 days. To my supprise when i open the jar it fizzing like champagne, smell very lemoney,
My question is do you thing it is drinkable? not leaving it to breath!! It tast really good. thank

elizabeth shipley September 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

I have a question regarding the use of brown rice which I started several days ago with nothing happening now on day 3. I rinsed twice and nothing is happening. I am wondering if the milling process used for most grains destroys the important enzyme used to ferment the grain? I have organic kamut and organic quinoa that I might try but I do wonder if the milling process destroys something important?
Thanks since I wanted to make the “cheddar” in the Sept/Oct issue of Veg News.
Betsy Shipley

Susan September 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

You can sprout brown rice. As with everything that you sprout, you need to start with a good, fresh organic brown rice. You may be trying to sprout a bad batch. Cheers!

Amanda September 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I am trying to sprout. Buckeheat groats and I have a few sprouts after a day and a half, but it appears that a lot of my grains have burst. Should I start over or is it to soon to tell. Also do the grains have to be all sprouted or is it okay to jump the gun with only a few sprouts?

Susan September 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Amanda, Did you soak them for 24 hours first? I would be leery about using a bunch of grains that didn’t sprout. Cheers!

Lesley September 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I use the hard winter wheat berries for my wheat grass. I also sprout them and put them in my little blender and chop them into little pieces (not pureed) and use them in the sprouted wheat breads I make.
They have a nice fresh smell and come out delicious, so the sprouts don’t have to be thrown out.

elizabeth shipley September 28, 2012 at 10:37 am

I used my sprouter to get my kamut to sprout. It took 3 days, each day I rinsed them twice. By the 3rd day they had sprouted so I put them into a large 1 quart container. Today is the second day and it looks like they are beginning to ferment. The author Miyoko Schinner says the liquid should have a lemony taste. Tomorrow I will taste again and either proceed or throw everything away and start from scratch.

joanna October 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

My rejuvalac has a film on the top…. I’ve left it for a few days…. should I trow it away?

The Cooking Lady January 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Epic fail…as my children would say. The sprouting of rye berries was perfect. And the foaming began, but very quickly the water smelled sour/rancid. In less that 24 hours I threw the batch out. I am trying to figure out what went wrong. I will endeavor to try until I get it right.

Susan January 31, 2013 at 12:19 pm

It can be tricky. Once you get the foaming, put it in the refrigerator. Done correctly, it is very fresh. Sometimes mine fails, too, I think it is the wheat.

Julia {The Roasted Root} February 1, 2013 at 12:49 am

Hi there! I’m new to your site and am going to try your recipe for rejuvelac! I’ve made kombucha for quite a while now and am excited to try other probiotic beverages. When you make rejuvelac, can you use tap water or do you use bottled water? With kombucha, I read you have to be picky about the water you use and was wondering if this was the same for rejuvelac. So happy to have found ya and thanks for sharing such great recipes!

Susan February 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I wouldn’t use tap water. I never use plain tap water for anything I put in my mouth. Cheers!

Andrea February 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I am really keen to get into some fermenting but I am concerned about temperatures. I live in a warm, humid area with summer temps regularly over 35 and humidity around 70%. Even inside it can stay in the high 20’s day and night. Will this interfere with the fermentation process and has anyone got any advice for dealing with this? I can’t even sprout properly at the moment as they put rift before they really get anywhere. And sourdough cultures are a no-go as well…

Ama February 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Where can I purchase a jar with that type of lid and what is their names?
Thanks

Susan February 2, 2013 at 6:26 pm

It is a sprouting jar. :-)

Marty Roddy February 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Day 2.5 and it looks cloudy and starting to smell lemon-y.

Going to taste it tonight

Bubbles still forming especially when I give it a shake.

In a big mason jar with sprouter lid and coffee filter.