Rejuvelac

by Susan on January 19, 2012

Rejuvelac is a fermented beverage that is inexpensive, easy to make, refreshing to drink and FULL of wonderful nutrients for your body. A healthy probiotic, it also has vitamins B, K and E, proteins, and enzymes. It is beneficial to your digestive system, promoting a healthy intestinal environment. It is also a great starter for raw nut cheese!

How to make Rejuvelac:

1. Start with one cup soft wheat berries (pictured). You can also use rye, quinoa, buckwheat, or other grains. Wheat, rye and quinoa seem to make the best rejuvelac. Place the wheat berries in a sprouting jar with a screen top and fill with water.

2. Soak the grain for 24 hours. Drain off water, leave berries in jar and rinse two to three times a day until little sprout tails appear.

3. Place sprouted grain in large jar with a top that allows air to circulate. Add 4 cups water and let sit on the counter for 2-3 days.

4. You will notice that the water will get cloudy and little bubbles will start forming.

5. Taste…it should taste clean and fresh with a hint of lemon. Strain the rejuvelac off of the wheat berries and store in covered glass container in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week, just make sure it still smells and tastes fresh. You can reuse the wheat berries to make a second batch. It will only take a day.

Julia {The Roasted Root} February 14, 2013 at 1:05 am

Hmmm…I don’t know if I’ve overshot the tail spouting or not…I don’t think I have tails yet and my buckwheat berries have been soaking on the counter for 4 days…The water is cloudy but looks and smells fine and I did see some little bubbles. Do you think it’s ready? When the rejuvalac is ready, do you drink it as is or do you flavor it? Thanks for being my go-to for rejuvalac 411! ;)

Skip February 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Soak the grains overnight then drain and keep them drained but rinse two or three times per day until they sprout. Cheers

Ashley February 22, 2013 at 12:18 am

Here are some of my little tidbits/tips from making Rejuvelac for 10 years, reading all of Ann Wigmore’s books, and working for a raw food chef…I am writing to answer some posted questions from above:

If you leave the berries under water(soaking) or for too long they will never sprout because they will just be drowning or have died by drowning.

The soft white wheat berries really only need an 8-12 soaking (overnight). Then rinse them then turn them upside down inside the jar (slanting so they can drain and get air. I use a dish rack) and rinse 2 or 3 times per day, then they will usually start to sprout in about 24-48 hours…the rinsing is important to keep them moist. They only really need tiny buds of tails…long tail sprouts aren’t necessary for Rejuv. Then rinse once more when you’re ready to ferment, add water to nearly the top of the jar (leave bout 1 inch for bubbles and foam or your rejuv will literally overflow with activity and you will have a wet cupboard!)…use non-fluorinated, non-chlorinated, filtered water for SURE. Berkey filters are great.

Ann Wigmore says you can pour off the first batch after 48 hours, add more filtered h20 then 24 hours another then 24 hours another….3 batches total from 1 cup organic soft white (pastry) wheat berries (hard, red, winter ones are for growing wheatgrass, by the way). Use the 1/2 gallon (64 oz.) mason jar for 1 cup berries (they will be close to the mass of 2 cups by the time you sprout them and this is perfect).

You can use small squares of window screen with the mason jar rings instead if you don’t have the sprouting lids…this is cheaper too. These are great for rinsing and draining any sprouts and for when pouring off your Rejuvelac.

I sometimes make smaller batches to save fridge space and have more fresh by doing a half cup of berries at a time (use smaller, 32 oz mason jar) then round about after I have sprouted the first batch, I start soaking another 1/2 cup berries in another jar. I have read to keep the fermenting rejuvelac in the dark so I keep mine in a pantry. Notes are good for not forgetting when you “hide” your rejuvelac, ha.

Definitely refrigerate right after pouring the rejuvelac off of the berries. You can drink some 1st too, of course!

The thick foam is okay and the smell should be strong to most people, for ex., it is very good if it smells like stinky cheese or almost like farts! Ha. This is good bacteria’s lovely aroma. If you pour off the rejuv through your sprout jar or screen, the thick foamy layer will not follow (it will stay in the screen and you can rinse that away after). It should taste refreshing and lemony-ish as stated above. The stinkiness will dissipate after refrigeration.

SOUR Rejuv has lost its benefits and needs tossing.

You can make dishes with the wheatberries too afterwards. Ann Wigmore is a great source for recipes as well. Composting is great for them, otherwise.

WARM, HUMID areas OR during summer months…sprouts don’t need soaking as long (8 hours), but need rinsing more (at least 4 times per day) to keep mold away, then check the fermentation at 24-36 hours. If bubbly, foamy on top, and a lil stinky, you’re good to drink. May only get a second batch instead of a 3rd in humidity or warmth.

elizabeth shipley February 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I am making my 4th batch of rejuvelac for cheddar cheese from Artisan vegan cheese by Mikoyo Schinner using the 4 cups of water from both your site and from the fall issue of VegNews which is where I found some of her recipes.
I used my 3 tier Biosnacky that I’ve had for 30 years, dividing the grains into 3rds. I wish I had some other interested neighbors that would enjoy making these vegan cheeses since my husband and I can only eat so much. Anyway, looking forward to my 4th batch of cheddar and then onto something new.
betsy shipley

Robert February 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I have read that only 40% of the time you get good bacteria. One way on improving the odds is to add acidophillus capsules (www.rejoiceinlife.com). I was thinking of adding a tablespoon of kefir. Has anyone tried this before? Have never drank this before.

Paula February 24, 2013 at 2:30 am

Hello,

Can I use the sprouted wheat berries after using them for rejuvelac to grow wheat grass and then juice it? Thank you!

Susan February 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Reusing wheat berries. I don’t. I am not sure if it would work but you could sure try.

Lisa February 27, 2013 at 2:56 am

I left the jar lid on this time while fermenting for 2 days- should I take it off now for a day? Is it still good? It actually tastes good like champagne.

Susan February 27, 2013 at 10:14 pm

It’s hard for me to comment since I can’t see it. But if it is fizzy and fresh smelling, it should be good.

Susan March 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I add the spent chewy wheat berries to salad or mix into my raw recipes. Hate to waste the yumminess in them.

Becky March 7, 2013 at 11:22 am

How much rejuvilac should I drink each day to get the proper amount of probiotics to help my digestion?

Susan March 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

I only use it in cheese. If you want to learn more about using it in other ways, I would research Ann Wigmore.

Rita March 15, 2013 at 6:11 am

Susan, thank you for your lovely website….your pictures, again, are just won~der~ful!! They always give me incentive!
Do you leave the lid on while fermenting?

Aj March 15, 2013 at 7:07 am

It’s the temperature that effecting the outcome of your crop. That, and the wuality of the water you are using. What is the composition of your water? Do you even know? You will have no answer until you have certain factslike that answered.

Peggy March 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I just made bread using spent rye sprouts from rejuvelac. Used the food processor to chop them up, added yeast, oil, salt and bread flour and wheat flour. Fermented overnight then late next day punched down and into loaf. Turned out better than I thought, and really quite tasty. Nothing unusual.

Eric May 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Will rejuvelac be the same if it is frozen and then thawed?

Susan May 20, 2013 at 10:37 am

I have never frozen it but others do.

Deniz May 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

I wonder how long buckwheat needs to soak, over night as well? Would love to start with buckwheat rejuvelac! Thank you!

Susan May 20, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Buckwheat doesn’t need to be soaked as long. You can soak for an hour, then start the rinsing process to get the sprouts.

Faith May 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

thanks for this Susan….I have never tried making raw cheese…but crave cow and goat cheese and don’t digest it well, so, I need to get on this. i’ve made quinoa rejuvelac and loved it….and quinoa seeds of course don’t need as long of a soak initially since they are so tiny… and they sprout quickly…for the impatient cheese maker… I’ve read that wheat is tricky to get good rejuvelac from………but I bet it’s about the quality of the wheat and the water and the temperatures indoors.

Liz May 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm

If someone is avoiding gluten is the rejuvelac out? Or does the fermentation
process take care of the gluten?

Susan May 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm

You can use a different grain. Such as quinoa. Cheers!

kelly May 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm

So is the rejuvilak (sp) the liquid part, then, with the foam?

Susan May 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

The rejuvelac is the liquid. :-)

Bernadette May 31, 2013 at 6:35 am

In step 2, after draining the initial water and rinsing, do you put the berries back in water and rinse 2/3 x/day or leave them dry while waiting for tails to sprout?

Susan June 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm

After you drain, you are rinsing, not soaking. So, you drain the water and just rinse. No more soaking. :-)

Kay May 31, 2013 at 7:34 am

I eat gluten free — I have made rejuvelac successfully using quinoa. However, the least few times I have tried it, and I have used different batches of quinoa, it has not sprouted and soured. Any tips? I do miss the rejuvelac? Thanks,

Susan June 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm

You might want to check the source of your quinoa and make sure it is very fresh. :-)

Shalon June 12, 2013 at 9:11 am

What can you do with the wheat berry after you made rejuvala the second time?

Susan June 12, 2013 at 10:13 am

I compost them. You are talking about 1/2 cup of wheat berries that have been through two cycles of rejuvelac.

Kia June 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

I was going to make Rejuvelac and sprouted quiona and left it in the water. But then I left and let my mother take over… She let the quinoa sit in the water in room temperature for 5 days, and then put it in the fridge, without removing the quiona.
I’m wondering if I can use the liquid or is it bad?

Susan June 24, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I would smell it. If it smells bad, it is bad. If it smells fresh and is fizzy, then you can use it.

Jennett June 27, 2013 at 9:10 pm

How much of this are you suppose to drink at one time ?

John July 6, 2013 at 10:58 am

If I make vegan cheese using rejuvelac, is it dangerous for somebody with a penicillin allergy to eat it?

Susan July 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Rejuvelac is a probiotic, not penicillin. But I would make sure they checked with a health professional as I don’t have experience with what someone with a penicillin allergy might be sensitive to (other than penicillin). Cheer!

Sandy July 6, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hi, This sounds very interesting to me. But I have celiac so wheat berry’s would be a no, no.
If I’m understanding it it’s the water your drinking? How much should you drink per day? And what do you do with the grain, in my case probably quinoa. Thanks in advance for your response.

Susan July 7, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Yes, the rejuvelac is the water. I don’t drink it every day, mostly I use it for nut cheeses. When the grain is done, I compost it. It is only a bit and has been thoroughly used. Some people do use it. Cheers!

Allen July 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Wheatberries seems to be, by far, the easiest to make. They sprout nice and are done quickly. However, I sell to a market that is very gluten conscious. How much gluten is in a wheat-oriented rejuv? Also, I find buckwheat works, but gets funky quick. And Quinoa is very green tasting, which is a matter of personal preference. I’ve taken PH of rejuv, too, and find 3.0 or under is good.

Susan July 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

You will have to research that one on the web. I honestly have no idea how much guten is in there. I would suggest visiting this site: http://www.annwigmore.org/faqs.html

maur July 11, 2013 at 8:10 am

When making rejuvelac should the jar top be tightly closed

Susan July 11, 2013 at 11:24 am

I make it in a sprouting jar with a mesh top.

Tali July 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm

What can you do with the leftover wheatberries?

Susan July 16, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I toss them. You have used them extensively to make the rejuvelac. You could toss them on a salad. Cheers!

christina July 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I made rejuvelac with quinoa and it was delicious. I originally made it just so I’d have so to make your roasted garlic cheese (which was delicious as well), but I’m enjoying drinking it too. It is nice and refreshing and almost tastes like lemonade. Thanks for the recipe!

Allen July 18, 2013 at 9:20 pm

You need more quinoa than wheat because they’re smaller and they don’t expand as much upon sprouting. Hence, it’s a more expensive rejuvelac. Tastes different, too, and doesn’t make as many batches.

diane August 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm

do you rinse off the wheat berries before adding water for the second batch?

Tera August 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm

If someone has a gluten intolerance could they consume rejuvelac made from wheat berries?

Lisa August 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm

How much should u drink in a day? And how many batches can you make from the same berries?

Susan August 9, 2013 at 11:50 am

You can use the berries twice. As to how much to drink in a day? That is completely subjective. I use rejuvelac for cheeses, etc.

Chana August 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

How can I use rejuvelac for cheeses ? I’m new in this subject .
Also if I leave in a warm weather like Miami ,can I leave the quinoa the 3 days inside de refrigerator instead of the counter ? And after I drink the water should I discard the quinoa ?

Susan August 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Look at the raw cheese recipes on the site. That will give you an idea. I would still leave it on the counter but keep a very close eye on it. I don’t use the left over grains.

The Cooking Lady August 14, 2013 at 6:30 am

FINALLY!!! I made it this time with the soft white wheat berries. Now, i do not know if that was the culprit, but the last two times I attempted to make rejuvalc I used hard red wheat berries and oat groats and they both turned out disastrous. However, this time I seemed to have hit the mother load. I just smelled my rejuvalac and it is not smelling sour, but has that fermented aroma to it. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I am making this to start some vegan cheeses. Wish me luck.

mandy August 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hi, I’m echoing the question Tera asked – can you use wheat berries/rye if you are gluten-intolerant? I assume you can, but just checking

mandy August 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm

please ignore my previous question, for some reason all of the discussion didn’t show until I submitted it, but I see this question’s been asked a lot, and answered :)

Rebecca August 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

You could sprout the wheatberries and have fun juicing Wheatgrass in about a weeks time (couldnt you?)

Julie August 23, 2013 at 12:42 am

Hi! @thecookinglady…where did you get the soft white berries? I want to make rejuvelac but I am confused on what to buy to start the process. Do they just come in a bag at the store? Thank you for the help!!

Krystal September 2, 2013 at 10:02 am

Should the jar be tightly covered or should it be able to breathe?

Lauren September 5, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Mine has a thick layer of pinky/purply foam on top after 48 hrs. No good? Try again?

Susan September 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Not good. Try again.

Kim September 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I did not see the answer to: Do I cover and seal the jar once I put in the sprouted berries in water..or put a screen on top? I am ready to put the lid on, and your picture shows a green screen-like lid…so i assume a screen???

Susan September 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I use a sprouting jar. :-)

maja September 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

writing this so i can see the rest of the posts to find out about gluten intolerance and rejuvelac.

Susan September 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm

If you are worried about gluten, you can make your rejuvelac from another grain such as quinoa. Cheers!

carol boyce October 21, 2013 at 12:19 pm

love your website, please put me on your list!!

Susan October 21, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Carol…so glad you love the site! You can sign up for the newsletter in the box to the upper right. You will also get a free pantry list!

wens December 26, 2013 at 8:48 am

I can’t see answer to this question…. If intolerant to gluten is it OK to use wheat berries?

wens December 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

Can I use wheat berries if I gave gluten intolerance

Sudha meiyappan January 5, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Lovely website. One question, by berries you mean grains right? Thanks.

Susan January 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Yes. They are also called wheat berries.

Jackie January 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I just made my first batch of rejuvelac. It tasted pretty good, lemony. Everything went as described. But now (apologies for TMI) after drinking it I get terrible gas. What did I do wrong? Has anyone had this problem?

Teresa January 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Wheat berries DO contain gluten. If you are intolerant, use the other grain suggestions.