Rejuvelac

by Susan on January 19, 2012

Rejuvelac is a fermented beverage that is inexpensive, easy to make, refreshing to drink and FULL of wonderful nutrients for your body. A healthy probiotic, it also has vitamins B, K and E, proteins, and enzymes. It is beneficial to your digestive system, promoting a healthy intestinal environment. It is also a great starter for raw nut cheese!

How to make Rejuvelac:

1. Start with one cup soft wheat berries (pictured). You can also use rye, quinoa, buckwheat, or other grains. Wheat, rye and quinoa seem to make the best rejuvelac.

2. Soak the grain for 24 hours. Drain off water and rinse two to three times a day until little sprout tails appear.

3. Place sprouted grain in large jar. Add 4 cups water and let sit on the counter for 2-3 days.

4. You will notice that the water will get cloudy and little bubbles will start forming.

5. Taste…it should taste clean and fresh with a hint of lemon. Strain the rejuvelac off of the wheat berries and store in covered glass container in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week, just make sure it still smells and tastes fresh. You can reuse the wheat berries to make a second batch. It will only take a day.

Tali July 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm

What can you do with the leftover wheatberries?

Susan July 16, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I toss them. You have used them extensively to make the rejuvelac. You could toss them on a salad. Cheers!

christina July 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I made rejuvelac with quinoa and it was delicious. I originally made it just so I’d have so to make your roasted garlic cheese (which was delicious as well), but I’m enjoying drinking it too. It is nice and refreshing and almost tastes like lemonade. Thanks for the recipe!

Allen July 18, 2013 at 9:20 pm

You need more quinoa than wheat because they’re smaller and they don’t expand as much upon sprouting. Hence, it’s a more expensive rejuvelac. Tastes different, too, and doesn’t make as many batches.

diane August 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm

do you rinse off the wheat berries before adding water for the second batch?

Tera August 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm

If someone has a gluten intolerance could they consume rejuvelac made from wheat berries?

Lisa August 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm

How much should u drink in a day? And how many batches can you make from the same berries?

Susan August 9, 2013 at 11:50 am

You can use the berries twice. As to how much to drink in a day? That is completely subjective. I use rejuvelac for cheeses, etc.

Chana August 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

How can I use rejuvelac for cheeses ? I’m new in this subject .
Also if I leave in a warm weather like Miami ,can I leave the quinoa the 3 days inside de refrigerator instead of the counter ? And after I drink the water should I discard the quinoa ?

Susan August 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Look at the raw cheese recipes on the site. That will give you an idea. I would still leave it on the counter but keep a very close eye on it. I don’t use the left over grains.

The Cooking Lady August 14, 2013 at 6:30 am

FINALLY!!! I made it this time with the soft white wheat berries. Now, i do not know if that was the culprit, but the last two times I attempted to make rejuvalc I used hard red wheat berries and oat groats and they both turned out disastrous. However, this time I seemed to have hit the mother load. I just smelled my rejuvalac and it is not smelling sour, but has that fermented aroma to it. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I am making this to start some vegan cheeses. Wish me luck.

mandy August 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hi, I’m echoing the question Tera asked – can you use wheat berries/rye if you are gluten-intolerant? I assume you can, but just checking

mandy August 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm

please ignore my previous question, for some reason all of the discussion didn’t show until I submitted it, but I see this question’s been asked a lot, and answered :)

Rebecca August 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

You could sprout the wheatberries and have fun juicing Wheatgrass in about a weeks time (couldnt you?)

Julie August 23, 2013 at 12:42 am

Hi! @thecookinglady…where did you get the soft white berries? I want to make rejuvelac but I am confused on what to buy to start the process. Do they just come in a bag at the store? Thank you for the help!!

Krystal September 2, 2013 at 10:02 am

Should the jar be tightly covered or should it be able to breathe?

Lauren September 5, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Mine has a thick layer of pinky/purply foam on top after 48 hrs. No good? Try again?

Susan September 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Not good. Try again.

Kim September 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I did not see the answer to: Do I cover and seal the jar once I put in the sprouted berries in water..or put a screen on top? I am ready to put the lid on, and your picture shows a green screen-like lid…so i assume a screen???

Susan September 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I use a sprouting jar. :-)

maja September 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

writing this so i can see the rest of the posts to find out about gluten intolerance and rejuvelac.

Susan September 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm

If you are worried about gluten, you can make your rejuvelac from another grain such as quinoa. Cheers!

carol boyce October 21, 2013 at 12:19 pm

love your website, please put me on your list!!

Susan October 21, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Carol…so glad you love the site! You can sign up for the newsletter in the box to the upper right. You will also get a free pantry list!

wens December 26, 2013 at 8:48 am

I can’t see answer to this question…. If intolerant to gluten is it OK to use wheat berries?

wens December 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

Can I use wheat berries if I gave gluten intolerance

Sudha meiyappan January 5, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Lovely website. One question, by berries you mean grains right? Thanks.

Susan January 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Yes. They are also called wheat berries.

Jackie January 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I just made my first batch of rejuvelac. It tasted pretty good, lemony. Everything went as described. But now (apologies for TMI) after drinking it I get terrible gas. What did I do wrong? Has anyone had this problem?

Teresa January 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Wheat berries DO contain gluten. If you are intolerant, use the other grain suggestions.

Dawn January 20, 2014 at 10:34 pm

My berries soak as I write this. I want to thank you for having this very informative web site and I look forward to learning more about this wonderful food. Dawn

Carmen January 21, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Let’s all thank Ann Wigmore for this fabulous healthy information. We all need champions like her and Susan!!!

:)Carmen

Nihal February 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

I’ve read that it’s better not to leave quinoa in water as long as rye or wheat berries, so after soaking them for a few hours they should already be left to sprout. Your thoughts?

Nihal February 4, 2014 at 11:00 am

I also was wondering whether it’s necessary to stir the liquid while it’s fermenting.

Lana February 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Just for those of us who have Wheat/Gluten Allergies, DO NOT use Wheatberries. I personally prefer to use Cabbage to make my Rejuvelac. I’ll have to try the Quinoa, Millet, or Amaranth. I wonder if you can also try Buckwheat (this is not gluten!)?

Nunzio February 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I am trying to make my first batch of Rejuvelac using Quinoa and and everything was going fine until I started the fermenting phase ,the water is cloudy but it has a very pinkish color.It smells OK but I am concerned. Is it Bad?

Nunzio February 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I am making my first batch of Rejuvelac using Quinoa and everything went fine until the fermenting phase ,the water is cloudy BUT it is also very pink, I am concerned, Is it bad? Molded ? It smells fine! Please help!

Susan February 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I have not had that happen before. What color quinoa are you using?

Nunzio February 21, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Susan, Thank You very much for answering. It was cream colored and still is but the water is pink. After I blended the Quinoa sprouts with water and put it in the fermenting jar the water immediately turned pink.

michelle February 23, 2014 at 11:48 pm

are your quinoa seeds organic? reminds me of when i soaked my fungicide-treated corn seeds….

Nunzio February 24, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Yes it was sold to me as organic @New Life Heath food store.I already gave up on that batch and will try again. Thanks for your help.

Rosemary March 9, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I sprout my wheat berries for wheat grass.

marjorie March 15, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I am trying to make quinoa rejuvelac, and I think I have done it right, but I was wondering what to do with the quinoa that I blended up to make this drink. Is it okay to just through it in a smoothie? I can’t bring myself to throw it away due to the expense of it

Joe March 27, 2014 at 12:29 pm

My wheat berries didn’t sprout. They’re left over from Y2K. They still fermented though!

D@wn April 13, 2014 at 9:21 am

Jackie, sometimes I get gas if I drink/chug rejuvelac down. I’ve learned to sip it, “chew your juice” as the saying goes, to mix a bit of saliva in with it.

Michelle April 23, 2014 at 2:56 am

I’ve got my wheatberries soaking now, never made this before to looking forward to trying it.

ariana May 2, 2014 at 8:56 am

Can you drink this while pregnant?

Julie May 15, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I was wondering if you can mix the rejuvalac with juice and then drink it? I ordered the red berries hope this turns out tasty.

Kelly May 15, 2014 at 4:40 pm

My friend just taught me to make this Monday (after I taught her how to brew kombucha) but we used a pineapple! Just the outside and the core. What do you think?

Linda May 18, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I can’t find wheat berries where I live can I use organic whole wheat (Tasmania Australia)