Roasted Garlic and Sun Dried Tomato Vegan “Cheese”

by Susan on May 29, 2013

Vegan Cheese @Rawmazing.com

Roasted Garlic Vegan Cheese @Rawmazing.com

Roasted Garlic? That’s not raw! No, it isn’t. But in this post I am going to show you one of the ways I incorporate cooked elements in my raw recipes to make over the top delicious bites to dine on. For me, food isn’t just about putting nutrients into your body. Food is about delighting your senses with wonderful, healthy edibles.

Cashew cheese is a great entry recipe for making raw, vegan cheese. It takes a couple of days but the actual “hands-on” time is minimal. You just have to be a little patient. I love using rejuvalac to make my cheese because it works great and is very cost effective. But you can substitute a probiotic powder if you don’t want the hassel.

You can make this recipe with roasted garlic (not raw) or raw garlic, which would keep it’s raw status. But I encourage you to live a little and try the roasted garlic version.

I have had a lot of people asking me for recipes that use left over nut-milk pulp. So, I am including a raw recipe for BBQ crackers (shown), which I made with nut-milk pulp.

My favorite nut milk is an almond and cashew blend. I use it 95% of the time. The nut milk pulp I used was this blend. Pure almond pulp would be fine also. Just make sure you are using pure nut milk pulp…with nothing else (ie dates) added. I will note that raw crackers made with nut milk pulp tend to have a little chewier and tougher texture than the ones I make from ground nuts. But they are still tasty and a worthy way to use the pulp.

You can find truly raw cashews here: Raw Cashews

*A note about the pulp. I collect my nut milk pulp over the course of a month or two. When I make the milk, I just throw the pulp in a glass container in the freezer to batch dehydrate (dry) later or immediately dehydrate it and store it. When I have enough saved up and dried, it gets a quick whirl in the high-speed blender and presto! Nut milk pulp flour.

Amie May 29, 2013 at 4:25 pm

What probiotic powder would you use for the cheese if you aren’t using rejuvelac?

Susan May 29, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Pretty much any good probiotic powder will work. I would use about a teaspoon.

Faith May 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

thanks for this Susan….I have never tried making raw cheese…but crave cow and goat cheese and don’t digest it well, so, I need to get on this. i’ve made quinoa rejuvelac and loved it….and quinoa seeds of course don’t need as long of a soak initially since they are so tiny… and they sprout quickly…for the impatient cheese maker… I’ve read that wheat is tricky to get good rejuvelac from………but I bet it’s about the quality of the wheat and the water and the temperatures indoors.

Shernell May 30, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Susan you never cease to amaze.You have out dis yourself.

Anja May 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thanks so much for this Susan. Dried my nut milk pulp in the oven on low but ended up cooking it. How do you dehydrate it – how long? how hot? thanks in advance.

Susan May 30, 2013 at 2:12 pm

To keep it raw, you need to stay under 115 degrees. I dehydrate it until it is dry…I have never really timed it. But if you do it in the dehydrator, it won’t burn or cook. I usually just throw it in there with other things and check it every couple of hours. :-)

Margaret Rizzuto May 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Susan, if I use the probiotics do I need to add liquid as well?

Thanks so much, this sounds absolutely scrumptious!

Susan May 30, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Yes, you need the liquid. :-)

Coco May 31, 2013 at 2:43 am

Hi! I’m really new to this. I’ve recently discovered the wonders of raw and vegan foods and I was wondering is it ok if I use other kinds of nuts? Walnuts for example?

Amber May 31, 2013 at 7:37 am

Hi Susan, Could I use water kefir instead of rejuvelac? I have a batch all made up at home so could get my cheese on the go tonight if so!

Susan June 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I have seen recipes for Kefir cheese. I would try it…let us know how it worked. :-)

Margaret Rizzuto June 2, 2013 at 6:18 am

So then would I use a 1/2 cup if water with the probiotic? Thanks

Susan June 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Yes, keep the amount of liquid the same, just add the probiotic. :-)

Meaghan June 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

Looks amazing! I love how the outer layer looks so rustic. YUM!

marquis @realrawkitchen June 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm

This sounds so delicious! I’ve never made anything like it and you have made it so approachable and easy, I’m tempted :) also, I’ve recently purchased one of your books and I’m loving it (and so is my SO!) so thank you!!

DB June 6, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I never made cheese before, I can’t wait to try it!

Bernadette June 8, 2013 at 6:24 pm

It was a long process, from making the rejuvelac to soaking the cashews, and then letting the *cheese* ripen in the fridge but OMG this is sooooo gooooood! So well worth the wait and I am so thrilled it was successful on my first attempt! Susan, how long should the cheese last in the fridge? I’m gone most of the weekend and while it’s so delicious that I could probably eat it all with a spoon, I’m hoping it might last till next weekend when I can sit back and enjoy it leisurely ;)

Melody June 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

Hi Susan, I’m new to the whole concept of raw foods, and I’m dying to try this! I have heard a lot of bad press about the oil in ground flaxseeds oxidizing with the oxygen in the air and a warm environment, creating free radicals. What are your views on this? Thanks!

Susan June 16, 2013 at 10:20 am

I keep all my flax in the refrigerator and then grind it as I use it. Rancid flax tastes bad. You have to make your own decision but I am fine using it the way I do.

Sandra June 30, 2013 at 6:04 am

Could you use almond meal instead of the pulp?

Mark Sylvester July 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Great to see this recipe. I am on the hunt for raw cashew cheese recipes. I am on my 4th batch now and experimenting with various crackers and dried fruits combinations as well.

I was intriged to read 3-4 hours in dehydrator, I have been going for 12 hours to get a good rind. Now, I will try less. I have been experimenting with small, medium and large molds and not happy with how the cashew doesn’t seem to ‘firm up’ and hold it’s shape. I play with the water content to make it firmer too – and play with the fermentation time (3 days is my favorite).

I have seen recipes that use Almonds, Macadamia and Cashew – but have only done Cashew.

Glad to have found your site.

christina July 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I made this cheese and it is absolutely delicious! My family loved it. It has a nice flavor from the fermentation as well as the tomatoes and garlic. Thanks so much for the recipe! I will be making it again.

guillermo July 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Hello amazing recipe !! with rejuvelac
would like to know how long can i keep my cheese in the fridge and still keeps its freshness

Susan July 29, 2013 at 11:05 am

The cheese will last about 2 weeks in the fridge. :-)

claudia August 8, 2013 at 9:25 am

Hi Susan, I really want to make the cheese. And I would love the cheese to have a rind but I dont have a dehydrator since im not vegan or raw vegan. How can I make the rind in the oven?

To make the rejuvelac, I dont have any fancy jars like the one you have. Do I have to use a jar with a screen on top or can I just use a regular water jar and place a stocking on top or a pillow case? (i use pillow cases as cheese cloth and they work amazing even for making tofu)

Susan August 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have not tried to make this in the oven, as it is a raw food blog. You can certainly try. Would love to hear how it turns out.

Clau August 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Susan I love your recipe, I really want to give it a try. Can I make the rind in the oven? Im not raw vegan so im not worried about the temperature. Thank you

Clau August 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thank you Susan for the response, I am attempting to make rejuvelac. If I am successful with it , I will start with the cheese. I have seen a lot of recipes that use nutritional yeast. Is nutritional yeast a substitute for rejuvelac or probiotic powder? Im guessing its for the fermentation process. Could I make this with nutritional yeast? If so, do I have to add water and how much should I use. Thank you Susan

Susan August 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hi, Clau,

Nutritional yeast is used for flavor. It is not a probiotic and is not for the fermentation process. You can read more about it here: http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-food-and-nutritional-yeast/

Clau August 8, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Thank you so much Susan for all the info and super fast responses. I love your site and I love how you help us newbies in the kitchen. :)

Clau August 9, 2013 at 11:07 am

I am making quinoa rejuvelac and my quinoa has sprouted so it seems like I might be making this cheese sooner then I thought :) I want to buy a food processor in order to make your cheeses, and honestly I dont know who to ask and im not familiar with this item, can you use any food processor to make nut cheese or does it need a special function? I saw some in target for under 30 that I am interested in, I just want to know that I will be able to use it for making your vegan crackers and breads and your cheeses. I guess the question is, does the food processor need a special feature to make this? Or any would work. Thank you :)

Susan August 9, 2013 at 11:53 am

If you are planning on using you food processor quite a bit you should invest in a decent machine. I think you will be very disappointed in a 30.00 one. The stronger the motor, the better it will be. I tend to like Kitchenaid. There isn’t a special attachment needed.

Dave August 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I was too lazy to roast the garlic so I used some lacto-fermented garlic that had been aged four about five months. The cheese came out awesome!

Margi August 10, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hi Susan
Your recipes look great! I wondered if I could substitute cashew nuts for another type of nut? My husband doesn’t seem to tolerate cashews
Thanks

Susan August 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Please check the FAQ page. There is quite a bit of information on substitutions.

Clau August 11, 2013 at 9:13 am

Susan, My rejuvelac and almonds were ready this morning, I had everything ready to go and then my food processor didnt turn on! I tried to use my cheap blender and off course it didnt work. So know I have 1/4 of the almonds chopped and the others whole with the rejuvelac already mixed sitting in a bowl in the fridge until sometime today I go exchange my food processor for another one. Can I still use this “have chopped mixture” tonight or tomorrow to make the cheese? I dont want to waste it and since its already mixed with the rejuvelac I guess its technically fermenting already.

Clau August 12, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I finally made this today! AND IT WAS AMAZING. I used almonds instead of cashews so it didnt come out as creamy but it is sooo good. Thank you susan for all the help and for such amazing recipes!

Clau August 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I also baked it in the oven at 340F for 20 min until the top “cracked a little bit” , since I dont own a dehydrator. I hope this helps others who dont own one either.

Diana September 6, 2013 at 9:12 am

No need to roast garlic anymore; there’s a good chance this raw vegan’s approach works! Haven’t tried it yet and it is labour-intensive, but I’ve found 23 years after finding this lifestyle is that anything is possible!

Lots of dehydrating time and there’s basting to do but, if you’re like me, it sounds like it’ll be worth it!:

Something to try this weekend, I think! Cheers.

Kathryn September 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I’m allergic to cashews and pistachios, so finding vegan recipes for cheese and other things is really difficult. Have you tried this with other nuts? What could I substitute?

maria October 7, 2013 at 12:33 am

Hi, I am on a paleo diet.. do you have any grain free substitutions for rejuvelac? thank you!

Susan October 7, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Maria, Since this is a raw / vegan site, I don’t have a paleo substitution. Sorry.

Cathie September 18, 2014 at 1:29 pm

My family too is on a paleo diet but can not do gluten, grains, dairy or eggs. Susan answered this question for someone else earlier, maybe because they weren’t paleo and said that you can substitute the rejuvelac for 1 tsp. probiotic plus the liquid (1/2 cup). Hope this helps. We all have different reasons for eating the way we do and should not be judgmental. I was very unhealthy eating any other diet but paleo. I have reversed many health conditions after switching.

Mark October 11, 2013 at 12:03 am

Hello, any advice for scaling the rejuvelac and cheese recipes? Can you make larger amounts at one time is what I am asking – we have made your recipe as per your instructions but, wish to give to others. Thank you.

Claudia October 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

This is wonderful! Can I make it with walnuts and water with probiotic? Thank you… would I have to remove the skin from the walnuts?

Simone October 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

This recipe is sooooo yummy!! My hubby made sure I put some in his lunch… Thank you Susan!

Alena October 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hi! I want to make this very soon.. was wondering if the rejuvelac was necessary or if there was something else that could be used as a replacement? Thanks!

Susan October 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm

You can replace it with probiotic powder. You would probably need a teaspoon but I have not formulated it yet.

Alena November 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Is there anything else you can use besides the probiotic powder and rejuvelac?

Rachelle Al Mallah January 14, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Please tell me do you think I can use any of your nut cheese recipes on vegan pizza? I will be cooking it. Thankyou :-) PS love your work!

Susan January 17, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I use them on some cooked things but don’t expect them to melt….they won’t. :-)

Sarah Star January 17, 2014 at 5:08 pm

When I refrigeratet the molded cheese, should I be covering it, wrapping it in cheese cloth or putting it into a container?

Susan January 17, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I usually cover it. Cheers!

Denise January 25, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Well if you’re using cashews in the U.S. that you didn’t pick off a tree yourself, they’re not raw cashews anyway even if it’s labeled as raw. So I say go ahead with the roasted garlic!

Susan January 25, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hi, Denise, You can get truly raw cashews from Navitas Naturals. Check their website. Cheers!

Jamie March 22, 2014 at 12:01 pm

This cheese rocks my socks! My friends and I gave up cheese for Lent and I made this for a dinner party. Everyone was floored! The cheese really has that “umami” tang and the Rejuvelac gives it complexity. Thank you so much – I think I may survive until Easter after all!

k1kkz April 14, 2014 at 6:50 am

Hi, Susan … since I am overseas and not used to your measurement system please clarify for me … the temperatures in all your recipes is in Fahrenheit or Celsius? It makes quite a difference … Sorry if the question has been asked before, I couldn’t find any info in the FAQ. Greets!

Wendy May 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I am very inspired to make this ! I can smell the yumminess of it already :-)
What would the measurement be for using probiotics instead of rejuvelac ?
In Joy
Wendy

Susan May 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm

You can use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. But you will be eliminating liquid and may have to adjust. Cheers!

Diego August 9, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I tried this recipe and loved it!!! I think aging this cheese would make wonders, but I don’t know how to do it.
Have you ever tried aging cheese? If you have how do you do it?

Susan August 21, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Hi, Diego. I would have to write a whole post about aging cheeses. Maybe that is something I need to look into! Cheers!

Carrie August 17, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I went online to search for something other than the cashew cheese that I’ve made many times now. I love it but I’m ready for more variety. I just discovered your site and would love to make this “cheese.” Maybe this is a silly question, but if I use proboitoc powder instead of the rejuvelac, what liquid can I substitute? I’m very new to vegan and raw food so I’m at a loss. (Maybe you can’t answer this because you do note in the FAQ that you don’t provide info on substitutions, but I thought I’d ask just in case. I won’t hold you accountable if it the recipe doesn’t work!)

Susan August 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Hi, Carrie, I would just take a minute to figure out how much water you are omitting and add it back in. Cheers!

Elitsa August 17, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hello,
just one question, do I add 1/2 cup Rejuvelac (just the drink) or the actual sprouted wheat berries?

Susan August 21, 2014 at 12:33 pm

You just use the Rejuvelac. Not the wheat berries. Cheers!