One of the many things that I make sure I always have on hand in my raw food pantry are raw, gluten free flat breads and crackers. It completely eliminates the need for bread, where I am concerned. These tasty little crackers are made from a combination of almond and cashew flour! I used my high-speed blender and the dry container to make the flour, but you can use your food processor or a coffee grinder.
Why do we want to eat nuts? They are amazing little packages of health. Did you know that eating nuts actually protects your heart? They are full of the good fats that lower bad cholesterol levels. They are full of omega 3 fatty acids, and fiber. Nuts also have l-arginine which may actually make the walls of your arteries more flexible and less prone to blood clots!
The rolling pin I used to make these can be found here: Knobbed Rolling Pin
These little crackers have a hit of garlic and rosemary. You will love the texture and the taste.
- 1 cup cashews, ground into flour
- 1 cup almonds, ground into flour
- 3 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1/3 cup flax, ground
- 1/2 cup water
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste (just a tiny pinch will do)
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Spread into a layer about 1/3 inch thick.
4. Dehydrate at 140 for 45 minutes, reduce heat and dehydrate at 115 until dry, removing to screen sheets half way through dehydration. 8-10 hours. If you don’t move to mesh screens, you will need to flip.
Note: If you pre-soak your nuts, you will want to make sure you have dehydrated then completely dry before you grind them into flour.
Makes approximately 2 dozen crackers.
Wonder why we start the dehydration so high? Read here: Dehydration Primer