My friend, Farmer Gray, dropped off a huge bag of squash for me a while back. I have been slowly working through all of the little beauties, making tons of great raw food recipes. Today, I decided to make some squash wraps for little “beggar’s purses”. A cashew sage cream sauce is the perfect accompaniment.
These little “beggars purses” are filled with a mixture of pumpkin seeds, almonds, shredded squash, spinach, and pomegranate seeds! Make the wraps the day ahead and you will have a perfect little treat.
Squash “Beggar’s Purse” with Pomegranate and Sage
- 4 cups peeled and cubed squash
- 2 young coconuts, flesh from
- 1 cup water from coconut
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
1. Place all ingredients in high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth.
2. Spread thin on non-stick dehydrator sheets.
3. Dehydrate at 115 for 2-3 hours until dry but still flexible. Do not over dehydrate.
5. Peel from sheets, cut into 5″ squares.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (soaked and drained)
- 1 cup almonds (soaked and drained)
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups spinach leaves, packed
- 2 cups grated squash
- orange, juice and zest from
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried sage
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- salt and pepper to taste*
1. Place almonds, pumpkin seeds, water and oil in food processor. Process until finely blended.
2. Add spinach and process until finely chopped and well incorporated. Remove to bowl.
3. Add squash, orange juice and zest, optional agave, and dried sage. Stir to combine.
4. Stir in pomegranate seeds and salt and pepper to taste
*I only use Himalayan Salt.
Sage Cream Sauce
- 1 cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in high-speed blender and process until smooth.
1. Place spoonful of filling in center of wrap. Fold sides up and tie with chives.
2. Place spoonful of sauce on plate, and place the “purse” on the sauce.