White Chocolate Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart

by Susan on July 5, 2010

Years ago, one of my family’s favorite desserts was a white chocolate, raspberry, chocolate tart. I have been thinking about it lately and decided that I was going to make a raw version to bring to the 4th of July celebration at my friend Kim’s house. I was the only raw food person there but I sure wasn’t the only person who loved the dessert. It was a huge success.

If you want a light crust, like in the picture, you will have to peel the almonds. This is actually very easy once they have been soaked. The skins pop right off. This beautiful dessert looks like you spent hours in the kitchen but actually comes together very quickly. You can find raw cacao butter in the Rawmazing Store here: Rawmazing Store.

White Chocolate Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart

Crust:

• 1 cup almonds, soaked 6 hours, drained and peeled
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1. Process almonds in food processor until finely ground.

2. Add coconut oil and pulse until well combined.

3. Press mixture in the bottom of a 8-inch tart pan.

4. Place in refrigerator.

Filling:

• 2 cups cashews, soaked at least 6 hours, drained
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup cacao butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 pints raspberries

1. Blend cashews, agave nectar, cacao butter, coconut oil and vanilla in food processor.

2. Process until very smooth. You can also use a Vitamix.

3. Spread a thin layer of the filling on the crust.

4. Place a layer of raspberries over the filling. Pack them tightly.

5. Pour the rest of the filling mixture over raspberries.

6. Refrigerate.

Top with layer of Chocolate Ganache

Chocolate Ganache recipe here: Chocolate Ganache

Other similar recipes can be found here: Desserts

JeanB July 5, 2010 at 7:18 am

LOOKS YUM! Will certainly try this.
…correction tho…ingredients list strawberries, but title and pix say raspberries.

veganlisa July 5, 2010 at 7:26 am

Beautiful. I’m happy to hear that everyone at the party enjoyed your amazing raw dessert. I love reminding people how delicious real food tastes.

Veggie Girl is Living Rawesome July 5, 2010 at 8:50 am

Thanks Susan for all you do;-)

Noelle July 5, 2010 at 9:08 am

This is super gorgeous! I am going to have to make this when I come back from vacation. WOWzers!

Jean July 5, 2010 at 9:29 am

Looks yummy. What size pan are you making this in? How many servings?

Kelly Parr July 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

oh my!!! This looks over the top.. thanks for sharing! :)

erica July 5, 2010 at 10:11 am

Anyway to swap out the nuts for sunflower seeds or something else??? Nut allergies here!

Mary Ann Dames - Reading, Writing, and Recipes July 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

This looks simply “Amazing.” I bet it tastes as good as it looks as it combines two of my favorite flavors: chocolate and raspberry.

Jinny July 5, 2010 at 10:15 am

Your recipes are amazing!! This looks so good!! I am not big on recipe books, I just find whatever recipe I am looking for online, But you would save me a lot of time by putting yours in a book!! I am always going to your site. And it would be a great one to recommend to other people!

Susan July 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

The first Rawmazing Dessert cookbook is coming out very soon. We will be following it up with The Best of Rawmazing and also Appetizers and Small Bites.

Melissa Davis July 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

Making this today!

Karina July 5, 2010 at 11:30 am

What a gorgeous dessert. Who could ask for anything more?

Elizabeth July 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

This looks delish and simple to make. I have Cafe Gratitude’s desert book and it’s very decadent. But the recipes are advanced. I have made their white chocolate raspberry cheesecake and it’s complicated. Next time I’ll try this one!

Susan July 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm

It is in an 8-inch tart pan (see recipe). Would easily serve 8 to 10 as the serving sizes don’t have to be huge.We had 9 people yesterday and there is still some left over.

Lois July 5, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Rich Rich Rich!!!

ruby July 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

oh my god! that just looks too good to eat, Susan. Thanks, can’t wait to make it or should I say eat it!

Raw Candy July 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

This looks delicious and amazing. I definitely plan to make it sometime soon!

Nadia July 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Oh my goodness!
My jaw dropped at the sight of this, it looks too good to be true!
I can’t wait to make this. The second I saw the picture I was already planning a day to prepare this amazingly raw dessert for my family!

Melissa Davis July 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Made this yesterday and all I have to say is OMG!

Sarah Elmore July 6, 2010 at 3:52 pm

oh my goodness!!!

this is BEAUTIFUL! WOW!

Stacy July 6, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Oh my! :)
Susan, so no freezing is necessary? Do you have any idea how long the cake remains set-up once you take the spring form sides off? I’d like to make this for a party, but am nervous about it possibly melting quickly.

Also, instead of cashews, what nuts or seeds would you suggest to get the same test? My one friend has an allergy to cashews.

Thanks! :)

Susan July 6, 2010 at 9:45 pm

No, no freezing is required. It won’t melt quickly…it won’t melt at all. But it should be kept refrigerated as long as possible. At this point, I don’t have a substitution for cashews in this recipe that would yield the same results.

Stacy July 6, 2010 at 8:56 pm

oh duh…you did say tart pan, not spring form ;) sorry about that…

Stacy July 8, 2010 at 12:02 am

Thanks Susan for your help :)

Lauren July 8, 2010 at 11:59 am

Made this last night and it was pretty delicious. Super rich and a little too oily for me. I think next time I’ll do an almond/date crust and substitute 1/3 cu of water for the coconut oil. I can see how this can feed a lot though, you only need a tiny slice for a punch in the mouth full of flavor!

Carol Giambri July 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Each picture is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us your best always.

Sharon July 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm

i recently became a vegetarian and would love to stop having dairy as much as possible too.
and i spotted this pic and i though “this must contain some dairy cause it looks so amazing” AND THIS IS VEGAN !
thanks thanks thanks !

Susan July 8, 2010 at 8:55 pm

You are more than welcome!!

Paul Le May July 11, 2010 at 5:23 am

Hi Everyone;
I just made this recipe and it is great. I substituted some of the nuts for sunflower seeds as I was a little short of cashews and almonds. I made a raspberry topping that I drizzled over the top instead of the chocolate using raspberries, agave and coconut butter. Pretty yummy but not killer sweet. Thank you again for sharing such a great recipe.
Take care, Paul Le May.

Andri July 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hi Susan –

Thanks for such a lovely recipe. I plan to make it later this evening. I have a terrible allergy to almonds. I’m wondering if mac nuts would get the same “fluffy” consistency for the crust?

Have a lovely day!

Andri

Susan July 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I am sure they will be fine. Cut back on the coconut oil, though as they are oily.

Nadine July 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I made this cake last night and all I can say is “WOW, WOW, WEEEEE, WOW!

This is one amazing recipe. The cake is absolutely delicious! Easy to make. If I can do this anyone can! I will never pay for desserts in a restaurant after having this healthy version.

Thank you, Susan. Your recipes are the best!

peabody July 13, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Simply gorgeous!!!

Marilyn July 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I made this for a vegan supper club I attend. IT IS DELICIOUS! Thanks, Susan, for this recipe. Can’t wait to get your dessert book.

Rebecca (Blissfully Vegan) July 23, 2010 at 12:45 am

Wow, this looks incredible! Too bad I can’t find Cacao Butter in Hong Kong :( Maybe it would work with extra Coconut Oil instead…

Susan July 23, 2010 at 6:11 am

Have you checked mail order?

kathy July 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Yum! This belongs in a beautiful gourmet bakery. Beautiful photo too. I hope you will submit this recipe and more to my new “vegan finds” website.

~Kathy

Niv July 29, 2010 at 12:16 am

Looks delicious !
Why would you prefer the food processor over the Vitamix for this recipe?

Susan July 29, 2010 at 6:53 am

I don’t “prefer” it. You could use either. Most people who are new to raw have a food processor and not a high-speed blender. So, I try to make the recipes friendly to the greatest number of people. Some recipes really need a high-speed blender and I note when I use that.

Jessica July 31, 2010 at 12:36 am

I have to admit that when I read the name of your recipe I didn’t believe it. Nobody could create something like this but I was wrong…very wrong, and I’m pleased that I was wrong!

Linda August 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

This is a fabulous recipe. I have struggled twice with blending the nuts/oils I have a Vitamix when I blend it balls together like the oils seperate. At that time I put it in my food process and done small amounts & it blended nicely.
Now I tried this again as I LOVED the flavors and and again am having difficulty blending the two together. I blended the cashews first then added the oils/agave is there a trick I am missing.

Susan August 13, 2010 at 9:25 am

Wow…That is a new one. My mixture is actually pourable. Are your cacao butter and coconut oil in liquid form? A lot of people have made this recipe with no problems….let’s try to figure out what is going on for you.

Linda August 13, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Yes I melt the oil & butter & then add to the cashew mixture. I wonder if this has anything to do with the climate. I live in Southern AZ.

Suman October 5, 2010 at 10:25 am

Hi

Can I use some other oil instead of coconut oil and also what can I use to replace cacoa butter.

Suman

Susan October 5, 2010 at 11:50 am

That could present a problem because it relies on the coconut oil or butter to set up.

Carrie October 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I think i’ll be making this for thanksgiving or christmas (or both :)

Joylene January 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Hi Susan, thanks so much for this gorgeous recipe. I made it as a birthday cake for my sister-in-law and everyone loved it. Two questions. First, the cacao butter I could get here in Australia was actually like dark chocolate – hence the filling was like milk chocolate! Is the cacao butter in your shop like white chocolate? I will have to try it again with that one day! Was still delicious! Secondly, how do I convince people that this is actually really good for them! It looked so decadant that I had two people turn it down – one because his personal trainer would have his neck!! Nothing I could say would convince him otherwise!! So sad that people don’t realise that decadence doesn’t need to mean ill health!! Thank you and here is to amazing good health and delightful food! Cheers. X

Susan January 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yes…the cacao butter in the store is white. So glad you liked it!!

Naraleska March 2, 2011 at 5:30 am

hello Susan, this recipe looks reeeeally good! I would love to give it a try, but was wondering, could I replace the cacao butter for coconut butter??? it is really difficult for me to find cacao butter around here but can actually make coconut butter myself!, so do you think it would work???

Susan March 3, 2011 at 7:24 am

Cacao butter is very solid when cool and adds to the structure of this.

Laura March 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I am having the best time making your recipes!! I have 4 boys with large appetites, your goodies and meals are so good. I feel good knowing that they are getting good raw food, good raw enzymes, and happy to the eyes (we eat with our eyes first!) raw food! This recipe not only looked beautiful, it tasted amazing!! I was astounded at how easy it was to make too. Thank you for a wonderful website!! :o)

traemc April 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

What are the nuts being soaked in?

Susan April 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Water.

erin May 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

do you have to refrigerate for a certain amount of time before it ‘sets up’? or do you just refrigerate for the chilled factor?

Susan May 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm

You need to chill it to set it up.

Janine July 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe and this website…. easy and delicious!

Jackie September 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

How long should I soak the cashews for?

Juniper Rain November 19, 2011 at 12:59 am

what about the cacao butter.. that stuff is very hard to come by.. how would i make my own or an alternative perhaps?

Susan November 19, 2011 at 1:46 am

Juniper, I wish there was a way to make cacao butter but I can’t even imagine how you would start. For this tart, since the white chocolate (or cacao butter) is a main ingredient, there really isn’t a substitution.

Isobelle November 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Wow! Thanks for posting this recipe, it sounds incredible!

Laura December 14, 2011 at 10:13 am

Do you suggest taking the skins off the almonds or leaving them on?’

Susan December 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I leave them on unless stated. :-)

Diane February 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm

This looks amazing! What kind/size pan did you use?

Susan February 25, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Diane: As stated in the recipe, an 8″ tart pan.