As the summer begins, eating a raw food diet gets easier. Fresh produce is starting to appear and inspiration abounds. I found some beautiful looking sweet corn at the market yesterday. Creating a raw food recipe for zucchini corn cakes has been on my mind for quite a while so I bought the corn and dug in.
Remembering a zucchini tart that I used to make (a family favorite) that had Dijon mustard and white pepper in it, I set out to try to recreate some of these flavors. The zucchini tart also had a crust made from crescent rolls and was loaded with eggs and cream. Not exactly healthy. This version combines the flavors that I remember from that tart, plus tasty fresh corn! I topped it with a cilantro cream. Heaven! The taste of these is amazing. Even your non-raw friends and family will be impressed.
Zucchini Corn Cakes with Cilantro “Cream”
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (approx 2 medium zucchini)
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch salt (I use Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 cup flax seeds, ground fine
1. Place grated zucchini in bowl, set aside.
2. With a sharp knife, cut kernels off of the ears of corn. Set 2 cups aside. Place remaining 2 cups in food processor.
3. Add to the food processor: garlic, dried mustard, white pepper and pinch of salt. Process until corn turns to a liquid mash.
4. Add ground flax seeds and pulse until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Add to zucchini along with the remaining 2 cups of corn.
6 Shape into patties about 1/2 inch thick and 4 inches across.Place on non-stick sheets.
7. Dehydrate for 1 hour at 140, transfer to screens and reduce heat to 115 and dehydrate for 5-6 hours. The outside should be crispy but the insides still a little moist.
8. Top with cilantro cream.
- 1 cup cashews, soaked until soft
- 1/2 cup young coconut flesh
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut water (from young coconut)
- 1 small garlic clove
- pinch himalyan salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1. Combine cashews, coconut, coconut water, garlic salt and pepper in vitamix.
2. Blend until very smooth.
3. Stir in chopped cilantro by hand. (do not do this in the vitamix)