Fall is in the air, the evenings are getting cooler and my dehydrator is humming again! During the summer, dinner is almost always a hearty salad made with fresh finds from the farmer’s market. But as the evenings cool off, I find myself wanting something a little more substantial and the raw food recipes start getting a little more creative!
I made this little tart with the left over tomatoes from the Hearty Heirloom Salad. I love the concentrated flavors of a marinated tomato, so into the dehydrator they went. Once these were done I knew they would make a perfect little tomato tart. The crust is made from almonds and kale (for an extra nutritional punch) and the filling uses cashews, tomatoes and spinach! With a little advanced planning to marinate the tomatoes and dehydrate the kale, these little raw, nutritious tarts come together in a pinch and the flavor is unbelievable! A perfect raw food recipe for dinner tonight, or your entertaining menu!
*Day Before Notes: Marinate tomatoes, dehydrate kale, soak cashews.
Perfectly marinated tomatoes!
Tomato Spinach Tart
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, diced fine
- 3 tablespoons Italian herb mix (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and cracked rosemary from Penzey’s)
1. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herb mix.
2. Slice tomatoes in half and toss with vinaigrette to coat.
3. Place on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 145 for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 115 and finish dehydrating 6-8 hours or until tomatoes are done. (Don’t worry they are still raw. The food temp never goes above 115 degrees)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup kale flakes (dehydrate your kale when you are dehydrating the tomatoes)
- pinch Himalayan salt and pepper
1. To make the kale flakes, dehydrate 2 cups of kale (you can do this when dehydrating the tomatoes) and when completely dry, crush with rolling pin.
2. Place almonds in food processor. Process until a fine crumb is achieved.
3. Add kale, coconut oil and salt and pepper. Pulse to mix.
4. Pat 1/4-inch deep in tart shells. You can use one 9″ tart shell or 4 smaller tart shells.
- 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight in the fridge and drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juice from
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cup spinach (crushed by hand)
- 2 cups marinated tomatoes
1. Place cashews, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and water in high speed blender. Blend until smooth, remove from blender to bowl.
2. Stir in crushed spinach and tomatoes.
3. Top with a the remaining two cups of marinated tomatoes and put in refrigerator until set, approximately 1-2 hours.