Tomato Spinach Tart

by Susan on September 7, 2011

Fall is in the air, the evenings are getting cooler and my dehydrator is humming again! During the summer, dinner is almost always a hearty salad made with fresh finds from the farmer’s market. But as the evenings cool off, I find myself wanting something a little more substantial and the raw food recipes start getting a little more creative!

I made this little tart with the left over tomatoes from the Hearty Heirloom Salad. I love the concentrated flavors of a marinated tomato, so into the dehydrator they went. Once these were done I knew they would make a perfect little tomato tart. The crust is made from almonds and kale (for an extra nutritional punch) and the filling uses cashews, tomatoes and spinach! With a little advanced planning to marinate the tomatoes and dehydrate the kale, these little raw, nutritious tarts come together in a pinch and the flavor is unbelievable! A perfect raw food recipe for dinner tonight, or your entertaining menu!

*Day Before Notes: Marinate tomatoes, dehydrate kale, soak cashews.

You can use baking rings, or tart shells for these tarts. I love these rings: Baking Rings and this tart pan: Tart Pan

Perfectly marinated tomatoes!

Tomato Spinach Tart

Marinated Tomatoes

• 4 cups cherry tomatoes, divided
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, diced fine
  • 3 tablespoons Italian herb mix (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and cracked rosemary from Penzey’s)

1. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herb mix.

2. Slice tomatoes in half and toss with vinaigrette to coat.

3. Place on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 145 for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 115 and finish dehydrating 6-8 hours or until tomatoes are done. (Don’t worry they are still raw. The food temp never goes above 115 degrees)

Crust

• 1 cup almonds
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup kale flakes (dehydrate your kale when you are dehydrating the tomatoes)
  • pinch Himalayan salt and pepper

1. To make the kale flakes, dehydrate 2 cups of kale (you can do this when dehydrating the tomatoes) and when completely dry, crush with rolling pin.

2. Place almonds in food processor. Process until a fine crumb is achieved.

3. Add kale, coconut oil and salt and pepper. Pulse to mix.

4. Pat 1/4-inch deep in tart shells. You can use one 9″ tart shell or 4 smaller tart shells.

Filling:

• 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight in the fridge and drained
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 lemon, juice from
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 cup spinach (crushed by hand)
  • 2 cups marinated tomatoes

1. Place cashews, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and water in high speed blender. Blend until smooth, remove from blender to bowl.

2. Stir in crushed spinach and tomatoes.

3. Top with a the remaining two cups of marinated tomatoes and put in refrigerator until set, approximately 1-2 hours.

Serves 4-6

RH September 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm

How many servings does this make?

KRISHNEE NAICKER September 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

HI SUSAN , THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL AND INSPIRING WEBSITE. THE PRESENTATION AND RECIPES
ARE THE BEST I HAVE SEEN. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT 2.16 IN THE MORNING AND I’M READING YOUR SITE AND WAS AMAZED TO SEE YOUR NEW RECIPE UPDATE POP UP. I’M FROM SOUTH AFRICA , JUST BEEN INTRODUCED TO RAW FOOD, NOT MUCH OF IT HERE, EVEN PRODUCTS. HAVE HEALTH ISSUES ESPECIALLY FATIGUE AND LOTS OF BODY PAINS. MOST SPECIALIST SAY THEY DON,T KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING MY PROBLEMS. EVEN LEFT MY JOB OF 22 YEARS AT THE BANK .NOTHING SHOWS UP ON MY BLOOD TESTS. MY BLOOD PRESSURE,SUGAR AND CHOLESTEROL AND BODY WEIGHT IS FINE. HAD A GYNAE CHECK UP THIS WEEK AND HE SAID IT IS 100%. WILL START INCORPORATING RAW AND SEE IF THIS HELPS. IS THERE ANY
ADVISE FROM YOU. DO I NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM CERTAIN RAW FOODS. WILL BE NICE TO HERE FROM AN EXPERIENCED RAW FOODIST LIKE YOU.
KRISHNEE

Susan September 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm

4-6. I would serve it with a big salad.

Keane September 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

This looks SUPER good! Nice work!

Katie @ Imperfect People September 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

This sounds great. I already have lots of yummy dehydrated tomatoes!

Andrea September 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

OMG! this looks amazing. Can’t wait to try with the tomatoes just picked from the garden. Have so much kale, will try to sub the kale for spinach.

Dot D. September 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm

For Krishnee,
I am a Raw Foodist and Health Coach. Sounds to me like you could have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia.

As always, I think your recipes are fabulous! Thanks, I save them all…..

cj September 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

hi there This looks so good i am going to make it this weekend for friends and family!! any idea what else u might serve with it?? (im thinking some coconut water and a nice salad and maybe something chocolate for dessert lol) any thoughts???? tks

judee September 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

What a fabulous looking tart, I can only imagine how good it tastes.

Pamela September 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Susan, this looks beautiful. All my favorite ingredients. I will make this when my kale has grown a bit bigger!
I have made your raw-orange-chocolate-cheesecake and that was a great success.
Regards
Pam (South Australia)

Susan September 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm

CJ..I would serve it with a big salad.

Betsy September 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Susan, amazing work as always! Very inspiring!
-Betsy

sheryl September 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm

What exactly do you mean by the tomatoes being “divided”? Does that mean cut in half? Also wondering about the spinach “crushed by hand”. Recipe looks and sounds great, can’t wait to try.

sheryl September 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Sorry, also noticed that in the crust recipe you list coconut butter as the ingredient, but in the directions you say to add coconut oil. Which would be best, the oil?

Susan September 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Normally when an ingredient is listed as “divided” it means that you will be using part of it in one way and part in another way. If you read the recipe, you will notice that 2 cups of the tomatoes are placed in the filling and two cups are put on top. Thus, divided. :-)

Susan September 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm

It is coconut oil.

romi September 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Thanks, romi

Susan September 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Romi….all of my tart pans have removable bottoms!

Mallory September 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm

This looks incredible! I will be going to Italy soon and hope to use some fresh Italian tomatoes to try this! By hand crushing the spinach, do you simple mean squeezing it? Or do I need to tear it into little pieces?

Susan September 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Yes, just crush it with your hands. No tearing required.

Huda September 8, 2011 at 12:39 am

so many amazing recipes, so little time to make them. Happy to have discovered your site.

Tres Delicious September 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

That looks awesome! Such a health giving stuff tart.

lindy September 8, 2011 at 10:39 am

this looks amazing and came just in time as I was invited to a potluck lunch before sailing on Saturday… and as for dessert… I’ve been making a very quick dessert every night: mango sorbet – 1 mango, 2 frozen bananas, 12-16 ice cubes. (If you don’t know how to cut a mango, you can look at you-tube) Place all in vitamix… start out slow to get it turning, then turn up to high for aprx 10-15 sec and then at max speed for another 15-20 sec. It will be very very thick. It comes out delish and smooth. We love it so much we’ve been making it every night!
…scatter joy…

Holly September 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm

looks totally great. love using cashews like this. turbo blenders rock.

Jaya Lisa September 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thank You ~ I will try this and let you know. Looks good .Thanx for all the great questions and answers <3

Rita September 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Looks amazing! Your presentation is always gorgeous. Where did you obtain your scalloped smaller tart shells?

Barb September 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I have all the ingredients = lucky me!!! I can’t wait to taste it. As for the tomatoes – are the whole when they go into the dehydrator?

Raw Chef Dosa September 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm

What can I say…perfect!

Susan September 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

No they are sliced in half prior to marinating. See marinate instructions. :-)

Barb September 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

thanks for adding that! I am off to prepare it. Yummy.

Jenny September 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hi Susan–

Is it possible to make this recipe without a dehydrator? It looks delicious.

Jenny

Chris September 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

OH HOW I WISH FALL WAS IN THE AIR!!! It is 110 degrees presently in Phoenix!

This is a beautiful tart, though… One that I will look forward to trying once it drops below 100…Ü…

Roxanne September 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

@Hello Romi,
I had the same problem you had with a tart recipe I tried last spring. (crumbly crust) But I remember that Susan told me to add more moisture to get the crust to stick together. Think molding clay! This looks like a fantastic recipe. I am so happy that cool weather is returning!

“Hey Susan, what is your trick for getting these out of a tart pan without breaking them….. yours look so beautiful, mine, many pieces:(”
Thanks, romi

@see above for one of Susan’s tips from the past, Romi. Have fun!

sheelbeel September 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This looks so unique, creative and healthy – I can’t wait to try it! And your photos are gorgeous!

Susan September 8, 2011 at 9:58 pm

If you don’t care about the raw status, you could put the kale and the tomatoes in an oven at a low temp. But you will have to watch as I don’t know what the time would be.

Ynge September 9, 2011 at 8:33 am

Great website, great recepies!

Victoria Lee September 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it…Blessings to you!

Gena September 12, 2011 at 5:17 am

Gosh, these are beautiful. Well done Susan!

Di September 12, 2011 at 7:59 am

The photo looks great and the food is awesome!! It looks very delicious.

Jacqui MacNeill (Escents Aromatherapy Bath and Body) September 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Oh my goodness! This recipe looks absolutely delicious! I’ve been wanting to add more raw food recipes to my repertoire with all the health benefits I’ve been hearing about. This recipe may just give me the incentive I need! Thanks for sharing. :)

Eva September 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Nice job! I made this with some variations….I made an almond cheese instead…and a few slight changes…what a delightful treat, and very filling!

Gosh you have nice photos……

Thanks again for the great idea!

Vida September 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Susan making this lovely dish for our local raw potluck this weekend, can’t wait to show it off. Thank you for everything you do.

EvolveWithFlavor September 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

That is pretty damn creative.

I just had a Spanish Souffle like that at our local organic food place yesterday. Although it was good, I’m not sure it looked as good as THAT picture.

Although high resolution photography can work magic…

just kidding, haha.

Look forward to reading you guys more

Rkta September 15, 2011 at 1:40 am

Susan September 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

I have a whole collection of them picked up from various cooking stores. I am sure you could find them on amazon.

Jen Lapietro September 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m preparing this recipe now. Used the 3 Tablespoons of Italian seasoning (think it was suposed to be 3 testpoons). My tomato halves have lots of italian seasoning on them – in comparison to your picture. I swished off the excess with 1-3 hours left in the dehydrator and YUMM!!!
Didn’t have any Italian seasoning in the house – all the spice jars were empty. So I found a recipe at http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-herb-mix-173865 It was easy to mix up and works great!
Thanks again for your great recipes. Jen

sheryl September 19, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Made this for a friend’s birthday dinner, everyone thought it looked & tasted great!

Jennifer Minar-Jaynes September 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Wow–this looks amazing! I’m going to have to try it.

I wish I were able to make my food look this good. =)

- Jennifer

Aline May 12, 2012 at 8:28 am

Hi
I love your website, and all your recipes seem amazing.
I just wonder if I may not use yeast with this recipe it still work?
Aline

Lyndsay December 26, 2012 at 10:35 am

I made this for Christmas dinner and my husband and I loved it! It is so rich. My husband, who is vegetarian, said “I can’t believe you can make something that decadent with those ingredients!” My only gripe is the coconut oil. I can really taste it and don’t love the way that flavor mixes with the other flavors. Is there another oil I can use that will make the crust stand up that nicely?